Minor/Repaint: New here. My Optimus ROTF first time paint.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by optimusg, Aug 5, 2009.

1. optimusg

optimusg Member

[​IMG]

Sorry brothers...
    This is my first time painting experience. Never done it before but just braved myself looking at so many tempting repainted figures and thought to myself, I don't want a plastic prime.

Still not done yet. I consider this about close to 70%. The most final of all work would be acrylic varnish, to make some parts looking like it is relatively thin metal plates so that it gives an even more realistic feeling. Not all parts are exactly movie accurate. I haven't reach all the parts yet and in fact I painted even the back of the thigh some parts because that's how the movie is ( I paused the movie prime many times to get a 360 accurate view of him )

Still lots and lots of work to be done in making it look more metal-ly. I don't want it to be those siilver shiny metal on the body cause realistically, it's body part is filled with a bit of dirt from oil and stuffs. So it has those very subtle oil black around it's silver body parts.

Sorry only one photo. I will add more later from all perspective, the leg in detail, the back ( will show the part of thigh I claimed ). The two red chest piece under windscreen is also repainted darker red ( but more touch up later ) and comes with dirt on the panels.

Of course lots of parts come with the "fire" painting, but I am not good at it, and the accurate version is hard for me to do, so I am leaving that out.

Comment, cause I want to get the best!! Thanks ya'll !

Attached Files:

2. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Hmm...looks clean, any closeups? I like the detaling..:D 

3. optimusg

optimusg Member

Well very unfortunately, "clean" will never be what my repaint work would be. I wasn't patient enough and being the first figure I ever painted, in my entire life, lol, you really cannot expect anything.

But still yea. Here are some close ups. Will post up more. Bear with me, a lot more of touch up needs to be done.
    These are just the legs, will post up other parts when I get the time to capture more photo later.
    And sorry to disappoint you, my repaint is quite messy actually. :) 

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Welcome to Radicons!

I think that those thigh and leg parts need a little black wash to bring out the details more. From your original pic it's not that easy (for me) to differentiate the parts that you painted from those that haven't been touched yet (like the hands haven't been painted yet save for the gold details I think).

What I do like a lot (from what I can see) is the painting on the feet and toes. The black wash on the toes adds depth and breaks up the monotony of the silver very well. :)  I think that you just need to add that kind of weathering in varying degrees throughout the figure.

Good job so far. I hope to see this finished, along with more of your work in the future. :) 

5. optimusg

optimusg Member

Hey thanks mampy. Constructive criticism. Well, sad to inform you, the hands are actually kinda painted too. They're all done with dry brushing. I don't dare to explore doing a solid painting, and second of all, I think solid painting is not suitable for prime. He'd look like prime from beverly hills rather than prime from Cybertron. Lol.

But I will add some black wash, I choose meticulously actually. The black isn't exactly black but very dark grey. Hard to distinguish in the picture.

You can see from my second post, the leg flaps are now actually shiny cause I coat it with acrylic varnish. Reason why I do that is that those flaps are suppose to resemble the metal part of a vehicle with coated paint. In transformers 1, I see when Prime first visited sam's house, you'd also see how certain flaps looked very reflective at certain angles. I am trying to immitate that. ALthough again, difficult to see from picture.

6. optimusg

optimusg Member

A little more extra touched up Prime. Sorry guys, though you may not see a lot of difference, this one is already a few more hours work on touch ups around body parts.

The truck mode is not even started yet. Yes of course I will do the truck mode. This has got to be as accurate as I could get it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

7. optimusg

optimusg Member

I want to do chrome on the grill part of the truck and the oil tank by the side. Anyone any idea how I do that by painting ( not air brushing )

8. optimusg

optimusg Member

Further touch up! Added pinstripe on chest piece and arm flap. And the Autobot insignia...is now highlighted red!

Poor work on pinstripe though, and I know the real thing has grey silverish lining. But that figure is big, and I need consistency, cause the rest of this toy truck doesn't have lining. Hence I am just going to leave it all the same.

Picture two full figure doesn't have pinstripe yet, and the last photo was taken at a different time.

I am kinda obsessed with getting it as close to movie as possible. Need to get that feeling of Prime in the house, like as though you plucked it out from the movie.

Truck mode is totally not done yet. Now I am worried, after so much painting, would I still be able to transform and not hurt the paint? I've protected all detailed parts with acrylic varnish though.

The movie has one weird thing about it. The truck mode will always be shiny and clean, but once it got into robot mode, you'll see it dirty and worn.

Hence I am also going to imitate that effect. Only the robot will be in this form. The truck, is going to be in perfect new truck look. Coat with gloss varnish only. No repaints besides the smoke stack, and the lights on the top of truck, and the grill. Of course, I am going to also varnish the windscreen, makes it look `glassy' rather than plastic.

Crossing my fingers!!!! Please comment. I desperately need feedback. Bear in mind these few info. This is my first ever Prime toy. And first ever repaint.

So I need some more guide and tell me what else is wrong.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• p2.jpg
      p2.jpg
      File size:
      468.7 KB
      Views:
    • p3.jpg
      p3.jpg
      File size:
      529.2 KB
      Views:
    • p5.jpg
      p5.jpg
      File size:
      176.9 KB
      Views:
    • real.jpg
      real.jpg
      File size:
      561.7 KB
      Views:
  9. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

looking good, hoping to do similar with mine very brave of u to start on such a complicated model.....have you found out how to do chroming cos im very interested in that

10. optimusg

optimusg Member

Hi!

I know there's a chrome paint for plastic but to be complimented with air brushing.

I am just not willing to invest in that as the paint is expensive I believe but the chrome effect is marvellous.

I think I am just going to do what I did to some if the windscreen flaps. Paint several coat, then varnish over it. To give the effect, but no relective though.
    Have you painted yours?

11. optimusg

optimusg Member

Sorry for poor image quality. I think my hands were shaking while taking photos or not enough of lights, hence, we get `blurrrrs'.

Anyhows, I've painted the truck side mirror right beside the chest of Prime, plus head details, which are now being further refined.

The part where the hands are attached to the arm, the little part are also painted light black, cause according to the movie, that part is actually a through part, not a covered part, which reflects the inside of the mechanical arms covered by just red flaps. So in toy, red arm, is made extensively worn with silver and slight grey dirt, varnished to look thin to represents metal flaps on big object, and the arm to hand part painted dark to represent the real thing. Of course not in picture, but will post if anyone request for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. optimusg

optimusg Member

Sneak peak!

I think I am getting chrome!

[​IMG]

Hence I am doing this for the rest of the supposedly chrome parts, sun visor of windscreen, grill, smokestack, etc. Woohooo!! Truck pictures will be up, coming soon!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Jaspimus Prime

Jaspimus Prime Well-Known Member

i havent painted mine yet, im being a coward and checking what everyone else is doing before i start also i have NO extra cash at the moment to afford the paint...gonna start soon though cos im impatient lol

14. optimusg

optimusg Member

Nothing wrong being a coward man. You're being observant. It's anytime better than what I do bro.

Since I already did it, let me give you some of what happen. Learn about your chrome. Mine, takes a freaking long time to dry, but I thought it would dry as fast as my acrylic, touched it, bang! My god!

So if yours are the regular chrome, leave it at least a few days after before you touch it or let anything touch it. I keep it now in my cupboard. Of course it'll be better under the sun, but I cant be there to watch it all the time.

Good luck man! I tried two types.....varnish surface chrome. Nice and shiny. Dry surface, not so chrome metal looking but sticks better.

If you ask me, I'll still hit the varnish surface chrome. Results are worth the trouble and wait. Just need to wait longer for it to dry. Very much longer!

15. optimusg

optimusg Member

Prime with chrome side step. Although not very noticeable.

[​IMG]

Attached Files: