New Henkei Tech Specs Translated

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Bête Noire, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bête Noire

Bête Noire Fallen Guardian

News Credits:
    Okay, now that I've finally got all of my finals out of the way, I can get on to doing some translations that I've fallen behind on (mostly the last two Henkei mangas) so without further ado:

Hot Rodimus (C-05)

Function: Cavalier
    Alt Mode: Super Car
    Abilities: Top Speed - 193 km/h (120 mph); Can temporarily disrupt the electromagnetism of the Decepticon's Micro-circuitry
    Personality: A young Autobot warrior who dreams of obtaining an important role and becoming a hero. Because of his youth, his impulsive behaviour often places him in unfortunate circumstances. While he is a bit quick-tempered, his constant vigilance makes him a courageous warrior.
    Weapons: Photon Laser with a firing range of 6440 m (4 miles)

Strength: 10
    Intelligence: 10
    Speed: 9
    Endurance: 10
    Courage: 7
    Fireblast: 10
    Skill: 10
    Total: 76

Ramjet (D-04)

Function: Air Warrior
    Alt Mode: Jet
    Abilities: Mach 2.8 Flight Speed; Will not damage even if he collides with concrete
    Personality: Has a rather meekly composed personality. He's proud of his body's tremendous strength and is almost never injured from impact.
    Weapons: Cluster bombs; Laser Rifle

Strength: 8
    Intelligence: 5
    Speed: 9
    Endurance: 9
    Courage: 8
    Fireblast: 7
    Skill: 6
    Total: 57

Skyfire (C-06)

Function: Air Defence Soldier
    Alt Mode: Super Jet; Battle Mode
    Abilities: Is able to escape the Earth's gravitational force via his Hydrogen Fuel Powered Double Jet Thrusters; Is able to put on his Battle Helmet, which provides 4 particle beams; In Super-Jet Mode, can go half-way around the world in 30 minutes.
    Personality: On one hand, he is a peaceful scientist, who performs outer-space exploration, but on the other, he is also active in the Autobot air force.
    Weapons: Photon Missile Launcher; Particle Beam; Heat-Sinking Missiles; Laser Cannon.

Strength: 6
    Intelligence: 10
    Speed: 10
    Endurance: 4.5
    Courage: 9
    Fireblast: 7
    Skill: 9
    Total: 65.5

Translation notes: I wasn't really happy with Hot Rodimus' function as a "knight." However, try as I might, there's really no other feasible translation for "kishi." Mounted warrior doesn't really work for Transformers, after all. I think the implication is to equate his speediness with that of the mobility of a mounted knight from the middle-ages. I am liking the idea of "Sir Hot Rodimus," tho. Also, it would seem as though the numerical statistics are much like the original G1 ones - as they really make no logical sense in terms of practical application (Rank 10's for Skyfire and Hot Rodimus) and don't necessarily fit the rest of the tech specs, either - but that's Takara-Tomy's call. Skyfire's ability to travel half-way around the earth in 30 minutes is just ridiculous.

Hope you enjoy them, tho.

EDIT: Yeah, I think Cavalier sounds better, and since it has some precedence, I think it's better fitting. Interestingly enough, "cavalier" in Japanese is also written as "kishi." Thanks for the imput.

EDIT EDIT: Dunno why, but I totally misread the kanji for minutes as seconds. I fixed it to minutes, as it should be.

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think "Cavalier" would work nicely instead of "Knight."

3. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

What's the point though? They mean the same thing.

4. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
  5. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

A knight is a nobleman or landowner who served their king, which was pretty much the english version of a Japanese Samurai

A cavalier was a member of a usually mounted, fast attacking unit. The term was extended to include soldiers who used fast moving vehicles as well.

It also can be a term used to represent a high-spirited individual

Seeing as his original function was Cavalier, and his attitude and personality is very cavalier and his combat tactics are reminscint of cavalry style tactics, I think the term and function of "Cavalier" fits him the best.

6. lars573

Knights weren't nessisarily noblility. They were like Samurai. Including being a job description (professional warrior) that evolved over time into a social class just below (or the bottom rung of) nobility.

But cavalier is a way of saying cavalryman. Derived from the Spainish caballeros. Which is from a latin word caballarius. Both of which mean horseman. In fact the english word knight is the only such descriptor for armoured cavalry that doesn't translate directly as horseman/cavalryman.

Then there is the fact that Cavalier was anglized an insult that the parlimentarians threw at the royalists that Charles I decided to adopt as a term of honour.

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    This thread is making me want to dig out Mach Kick and plant Rodimus on top of him. :lol 

8. cleazer

cleazer Lost in the lights

News Credits:
    I don't know about the rest of you, but that sounds pretty slow to me.

9. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    What function did Japanese G1 Hot Rodimus have? If it's the same one Henkei Hot Rodimus has, it should be translated as "Cavalier" for consistency's sake.

10. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    No, you guys are right. Cavalier works better.
    And while it has a different meaning in nuance in English, it's effectively the same thing in Japanese - no difference between the two.
    It at least sounds a little less weird in English that way, and is rather fitting for his personality... still, it's an awkward designation. Oh well.

Thanks for the assist. I've changed the listing accordingly.

11. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:

Lol I thought the same he's as fast as my honda civic. But giving oil gas prices maybe the Future isn't as fast as we expected lol.

12. lars573

Awesome as that would be, Rodimus would be a Dragoon and not a cavalier. :D  You should wait until Sentinel Prime comes out as he has the lance and sheild. Just needs a noble steed to carry him.

13. blazer

blazer Member

Ebay:
    Wait?! This thread is devoted to made up stats on fictional characters and the subsequent toys???

Could there be such a thing as taking fandom too far?

14. Bête Noire

News Credits:
    Considering that the entire Transformers mythos is derived of those three components, I'm going to say, "no."

Now those slash-fics - that's taking the fandom too far. :thumbdown 

15. lars573

Oh there is such a thing for sure. But this thread isn't it. For an example of what is look no farther than the lulz inducing outcry over FFXIII being developed for the Xbox 360.

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Not just the stats, the character biography and function, which defined the characters for a lot of us when said characters were created and we had yet to see them on TV or film.

The website's about Transformers, dude. Baseball stat dorks are welcome to and are known for obsessing about stats and creating fantasy teams. No difference.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  17. Master Zarak

Master Zarak Emperor of Destruction

Ebay:
    They should've used the revamped Targetmaster Hot Rod stats instead of copying the original G1 Hot Rod. They're much more accurate. I never agreed with pre-Targetmaster Hot Rod's stats - they're far too high.

18. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    Skyfire seems to be the speed king - around the world in 60 seconds

19. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
  20. loudstone

loudstone Artobot

Yeah, I'm quite amused by how slow Roddy is, and how insanely fast Skyfire is. :crazy: 

Humans, unable to afford gas anymore, discover it is cheaper and easier to steal the Energon from giant alien robots. Suddenly the Autobots realize maybe the Decepticons were right, and should have destroyed the selfish fleshlings :D 

Wut? 4 XBOX!?! DEY RUINS IT! DO NOT WANT!!!!!!

Ha ha, sometimes I just want to remind FF fans that by the definition of "Final", they shouldn't be playing any of the sequels anyways! :wink: 

Actually, I'm not fond of turn based RPGs, but I have a lot of respect and appreciation for the series. But fanboys do often need to be slapped. We're just lucky that never happens with Transformers fans.... :D