New Heavy Metal movie in the works.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by HordakFan, Jun 4, 2011.

1. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

I hear James Cameron, David Fincher, Guillermo Del Toro, Gore Verbinski, Jack black, Zack Snyder and Rob Zombie are teaming up for a multi-animated new movie based on the popular since 1977 adult comic magazine "Heavy Metal" (aka in Europe known as Metal Hurlant). I hear they want Sony who owns the HM movie franchise to do it and i heard long ago they want to experiment in different animation each segment which will be 10 stories this time.

They should hire Yoshiaka Kawajari (Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust), Michael Bay and Will Vinton for segments. They should also do 2D animation, CGI, Clay animation, Stop Motion, Sketchy, Flash and anime in each segment as this movie will be a reboot/sequel mix and should be more true to the classic comic magazine. The directors i mentioned above are huge fans of the magazine and 1981 animated movie.

I always adored the original 1981 animated movie since i was 12 18 years ago when i saw it on TBS thanks to reading the local city's TV guide to see what will play on TBS and it stated "Heavy Metal 3 stars, animated fantasy and rated R" i had to watch it and i loved it despite it was cut and censored for a family viewing version but did had salty language, bloody and Taarna in that bikini look. I also watched other cool cult adult animated movies like American Pop, Vampire Hunter D, Robot Carnival, Twilght of the Cockroaches and Rock and Rule as well. I did made myself uncensored copies of VHD, RC, TOTC and R&R from rental tapes when i was 13 then put them on blank tapes on a second VCR we had. I did bought the soundtrack when i was 14 and bought the movie when i was 15 when it finally came to video uncut and uncensored. I had such a major crush on Taarna since i was 12 for she was the hottest toon i've ever seen and John Candy was a hoot in this movie as various voices especially as that He-Man/Daddy Warbucks hybrid Den and has been one of my favorite animated movies for a long time.

Too bad about the sequel Heavy Metal 2000 which doesn't have the fun or creativity of the original. I hope this new sequel/reboot does justice to both the comic magazine and 1981 cult classic.

2. RebelMan

RebelMan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    and it will never see the light of day:

stated back in either late 2009 sometime in 2010 \/

Production for a sequel is stalled indefinitely as no film distributor or production company has since shown interest in distribution or funding after Paramount Pictures decided to forgo being the film's distributor, who purportedly thought such a film was "too risque for mainstream audiences."

3. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

I say they should have Lionsgate and Screengems for this new HM animated movie idea.

Well adult animated can be hard but Beowulf and South Park The Movie were quite successful at the box-office. Why can't a HM movie? with guys like those you know fans would go out and see it.

In Japan they do make successful animated movies that aren't for kids.

4. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Kind of hope they leave it alone. It was the old era that made the original one so, unique.
    There's nothing like old metal, and the movie was created in old metal times.
    Plus back then that was one of the few ways to see some boobs & bloody violence in toon form.

5. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I watched both. To be honest, I wasn't impressed with either one. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

However, I must agree that the sequel was nowhere near as impressive as the first one. The first one definitely had plenty of imagination and tried to take us to different highs and lows, each with a different point of view.

2000 was your standard, run of the mill, straightforward film. A way to cash in with little effort and little substance. And Julie Strain's performance was simply awful. Listening to her deliver dialogue was like having your brain dipped in an acid bath over and over for 80 frakin' minutes.

Michael Ironside at least put effort into his role and had fun with it. He was just chewing up the scenery and having a hell of a good time.

And....inspired casting with Billy Idol. He truly impressed me. He should do more work like this.

6. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    now my dad considers the original one of his favorite movies of all time, and he has the old VHS copy that was so hard to get back then cause of liscenses issues

i've only seen heavy metal 2000 and i enjoyed it, honestly, if they were to get a single animation company to do it, i think Gainax would do the best job, they know their boobs and violence! :lol 

7. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Indeed, back when you see tits and pubes in animation. In Japan and some European countries, they do make those kinds of animation especially hentai. You know what hentai is?

Did you know the original is a fave among many directors like Luc Besson, James Cameron, Zack Snyder, Michael Bay, Terry Gilliam, Gore Verbinski, Tim Burton, Ridley Scott etc.? it's a fact and they are also fans of the classic comic magazine.

Say Chaos, would you think the original HM is similar to other cool not for the kiddies animated classics like Akira, Ghost in The Shell, Ninja Scroll, Fire and Ice, American Pop, Pink Floyd The Wall, Fantastic planet, LightYears (aka Gandahar), South Park The Movie, Wicked City, Fist of the North Star, Nausicaa, Rock and Rule, Princess Mononoke, Wizards, Starchaser Legend of Orin, Beowulf, Golgo 13 The Professional, Heavy Traffic, Vampire Hunter D 1 & 2, Transformers The Movie, Fritz The Cat etc. and do you think it's as raunchy and gory as Urotsukidoji Legend of the Overfiend?

Do you think Taarna was one fine animated babe? i did when i was 12 when i first saw this 18 years ago and had a crush on her, she's the one with white hair. She's my number one animated dreamgirl besides Adora from She-Ra, Cheetara from thundercats, Jasmine, Lady Amalthea from The Last Unicorn, Teela from He-Man, Jessica Rabbit, Callie Briggs from Swat Kats or others.

Did you all know that this movie with the magazine influenced many movies including Blade Runner to all the way to Fifth Element and Avatar? it's true, James Cameron is a fan of the movie and magazine since the beginning. He used both the magazine and movie as some of his various inspirations to his new masterpiece "Avatar" as you can tell the movie was one big HM magaznie issue or HM movie story brought to life. He did borrowed elements from Richard Corben, Moebius and Bernie Wrightesen big time for the world of Pandora, the creatures, landscapes and that kind of thing including from the movie. He also borrowed from Den with the idea of a weakling who becomes a bigger better stronger and more improved version of himself on a new planet, finds love in the jungle, joins with a tribe of warriors and fight against a tyrant. There was also Taarna elements such as a sexy but strong willed female warrior who rides a dragon, similar scenery and of course the climax where Quatrich fought Neytiri was a huge homage to the same battle sequence between Taarna and the Barbarian King.

Since James Cameron is a fan of animation, Sci-fi/fantasy, adult animation, anime, comics and literature, i gotta hand it to him to nicely borrow from both HM the movie and magazine as a homage as you can tell from the examples i mentioned above. He made a cocktail of Last of the Mohicans, Heavy Metal, Ferngully, Lawrence of Arabia, Princess Mononoke, Castle in The Sky, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, Transformers movies 2007/1986, Dune, Star Wars, Star Trek 6, Willow, Fantastic Planet, LightYears, Starchaser Legend of Orin and Total Recall for Avatar, don't you agree?