New HDTV and Old PS2 Not playing together, HELP

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Aaron, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Story basics go thusly.

Been playing Final Fantasy 12 on my First Generation PS2. Actually as memory serves it is the second version First Generation PS2... if it matters.

For Christmas I got a 40" Toshiba LCD, and have it connected to the cable box with a janked up set of composite cables doing duty as component cables. I am going to upgrade to HDMI for the cable box, and likely DVD player, but that's beside the point.

I hooked up my PS2 with the composite video cables into a composite input on the TV. When playing FF12 the video is often glitchy, flickering, and almost nauseating. Is this something with the cables, as in I need to find new cabling, or is it a game thing, or a TV thing?

HELP, I just wanna play with my new TV!

2. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Sonova... The title should read PS2 not PS3.

*goes off to tech support*

3. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    It sounds like a cable related issue. You've probably already done these things, but does the PS2, with those same cables, play on another television? Does a different source (like a DVD player) work through the composite inputs of the new television?

4. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    The PS2 played just fine on my old CRT TV, and the cable box worked through the same inputs before I found a second set of composite cables to switch to a better video source.

5. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Interesting, but yea sounds like cable issues. I dont think its your PS2 at all though, technically we have the old 3 conntector cables plugged into our HD TV and the picture looks fine and doesnt get glitchy. I would suggest going original cables to test just in case.

6. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Weird. My PS2 Slim works just fine on my HDTV. But as everyone said, it's probably cable issues. I do have an idea, though. Buy component cables from a third-party company that work on PS2s/PS3s. I got one for my PS2 Slim, it should work on a bulky PS2.

7. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    The PS2 would be too old to have compatibility issues with another machine as nothing but the basic video and audio data are being relayed.

If the cable and the PS2 have been working fine on other TVs, there's something wrong with the component input on your TV.

If the cable's new, it may be the TV. Since the PS2 is light, why not pop into a neighbor's or a friend's with it and the cable and check to see if it works? If it does, then it's the TV. If it doesn't then it's probably the cable.

8. Aaron

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Alrighty, I went and got a component (5 cable) connector and rigged that up, and after telling the PS2 to output that way I've got great picture. Everything was smooth, but blocky looking until I realized that I was sitting rather close to the 40" TV and at a normal distance it looked much better.