New Handhelds Discussion...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by tikgnat, May 10, 2006.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    So hey, I've finally jumped onto the new Handheld bandwagon, after over a year of procrastination I've finally decided what system I want... So now I have an Ice Blue Nintendo DS Lite (probably) flying its way over to the UK via my Bro's suitcase, and Metroid Prime: Hunters and Trauma Center sitting on my printer, waiting for a slot to go in.

But it was touch (get it? touch? haha, damn thats crap) and go for a while there, I was seriously considering a PSP for a while, especially after launch and everyone was pressuring me to get one.

What are your thoughts? DS or PSP? Or both? We all know the general pros and cons, but what else is there? personal opinion?

DS pros, cheaper, touch screen, mic, better games (arguably). Cons, looks like a turd.

PSP pros, superior horsepower, media ability, and looks dead sexy. Cons, costs a bit, and how many games are there I actually want to play?

I've actually been wanting a DS for a while now, but the look and size really put me off hence the Ds lite decision. Anyway, thoughts please!

One question though, the DS says it has GBA backward compatibility, I assume that this includes GB, GBC as well? Ooh, I can't wait for my DS lite!

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Nope. The DS/Lite only plays Game Boy Advance games. That's one reason why I traded it in to get a new GBA:SP again. Once the DS Lite hits America, I might consider re-investing.

I'm a big PSP fan. I'm learning how to Mod it. The MegaMan games and XMen Legends 2 are my current favorites. The UMD movie feature is a nice touch, too.

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Unfortunately, no. The GBA basically supported GBC and GB by including GBC hardware inside the unit. There wasn't room for that in the regular DS, less so the Lite version. However, if you really want to play classic GB games on it, there are ways to hack the console and run an emulator off of a GBA flash cartridge. It's a little pricey, and it sounds like a bit of a hassle, but at least when you're done you don't have to worry about constant firmware updates undoing your hack. Take that, PSP!

4. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Heheheh, I've already been thinking about that, and already halfway there what with ordering a SD card Movie cartridge and a 2GB SD card... I'm missing the actual unlock key, but thats on my list.

I actually got all this stuff for media (hence no key yet) but now I know it doesn't do GB/GBC games I'll have to make preparation for that. I've got so many GB/GBC games its a shame. At least I still have my GBC and GBA (with modded backlight) so thats ok.

Still... bum.

5. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

If you can afford it, both. They've both got some great things going for them.

Though my PSP gets more use. Having all my favorite NES, SNES, and Genesis games on the go is awesomeness.

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    you're talking about the lite? no way, it's pretty.

get both. they both have great games.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I vote both if you can swing it. For me there are not enough games coming out for either of them to keep me satisfied so I switch from one to the other. Right now it’s Capcom Classics on PSP (Street Fighter is damn near impossible on it) soon it will be Mario on DS, then who knows.

I also use the PSP video play function a lot on the bus or to bring little clips and pictures from the internet to show people at work because they are to damn lazy to go look for them selves.

8. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    If I was just basing it on stock off the shelf things I would go with the DS in a minute, infact when the Lite hits I am getting one and New SMB.

In my eyes the only thing the PSP has going for it is Homebrew aps. Kinda sad if you ask me, aside from that the only games I want on it are Darkstalkers and SF Alpha 3

9. flamepanther

Besides, if you want homebrew apps and downloaded video clips, order a GamePark GPX2. Ho hacking, no modding, no copy protection.

10. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    No, I meant the original DS. I agree, the lite is nice.

I did think about getting both, but then I'm afraid I'd end up in the same position as my consoles, of the current gen, I've got a DC, GC, Xbox and PS2. The DC is boxed away (poor fate) the GC hardly gets any play now, and the PS2 only because of Guitar hero, its not worth it.

Homebrew and EMU was a huge part in my decision, it would have to be seeing how important is is to the PSP.

Homebrew on DS and EMU is actually quite good on DS, although the PSP has the horsepower to make that arena bigger. I have to say, I was totally impressed when I saw the PC 'Day of the Tentacle' and SNES 'Flashback' running on a PSP, that almost swung it. 'Almost'. Except for all the firmware updates and headaches I'd actually have a PSP. (Eventually if the PSP firmware situation sorts itself, I might get one, I've all these old PC games that are crying to be played again. X-wing? Tie-Fighter? If only...)

The DS has SNES EMU's as well, so I'll be going there, once I get it. I'll have to wait for the day a Saturn EMU is done on the DS, so I can play my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga on the go.

BTW what are the exact specs of a DS? I know its marginally more powerful than a N64, but I can't find any proper stats, Mhz, RAM, etc. I'd like to know if CAN emulate a 486 66mhz DX2 PC running DOS 6... a lot of my old PC games are on that setup.

Edit.

Stupid boy.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4156250.stm

11. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    No multiplayer, no online access, no analog control...

I'm just saying.

12. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

lolz wut about a laptops?!

13. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i got both, and i play my ds way more. the games are more fun, the only games i really want on the psp are the street fighter games, but the psp d-pad sucks major balls.

14. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm very grumpy about the PSP's lackluster showing at E3 right about now...

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I've had my PSP since launch day. The system is a marvel to behold, it really is. Only problem is I have all of one game that I even remotely enjoy anymore. That's Burnout, which I haven't touched since like February when I basically finished the game and didn't feel like replaying it. Everything else out for the system is just not for me. I want to get Capcom Classics Remixes, but not for $30. So on on May 15th, I may decide to trade my PSP and all my games for a DS with New Super Mario. It's the first game for the DS that made me go "I wish I had that". Honeslty, there's nothing for the PSP now, or upcoming, that holds that feeling anymore for me. I could give a rats ass about homebrew.

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    The PSP just collects dust for me. The DS has been way more fun. A lot more innovative games. Plus with the m3 adapter and an sd card, you can store all your gba games.

With the psp, you will never have a full speed gba emulator.

17. Rokkit 2.0

Rokkit 2.0 Nay, we are but men.

I've had a chance to buy a PSP twice now (at cheaper price), but passed both times. For the price, I just didn't feel it was worth it. I've played a few things on it.

The hardware is impressive, however. Yet with the Lite that's nullified a little. It was just the games; too much fun already with the DS, and with all the stuff I've seen from this E3 (NSMB, Yoshi's Island 2, StarFox DS, etc.) I just can't see me getting tired of the DS anytime soon. The PSP just doesn't seem to be getting used for anything worthwhile.

I mean, come on...using the PSP as a rearview mirror in a driving game? For all the criticism Nintendo got for pushing 'connectivity' (and rightfully so), Sony just took it and made it an even worse idea.

18. tikgnat

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You know, it actually amazes me how Nintendo have turned around popular opinion about the DS, I mean in this case it really IS about the games.

On a good note, I should be picking up my Ice Blue (Miyamotos favourite apparently) DS lite tomorrow, and then I get to plug in my 3 new games into it!

And Twisty, if anyone played games on a spanking laptop on the tube.... well my thinking is you wouldn't be playing on the laptop for long. Or even own it. ;) 

19. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a get both guy. I may only have PSP, but I kinda wish i held onto my DS.

PSP - A lot of good games, yet some are over looked. I love the memory card. I can put some music on it and listen to that as i walk down the halls. I've put TV shows on the card and watched them. I love it because it is more than just a game system. If it was only games then yeah it wouldn't be that great. But since it is so much more it is worth it. I just hope i can afofrd a 3-4 gig memory card when they make them.

DS - Started out very poor on games. I had mine for about 2-3 months and nothing good was coming out (got it first day), so i sold it. Soon after i miss out on great games like nintendogs, Trauma Center, Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney, etc.

20. flamepanther

Totally. That's one case where one of Nintendo's big ideas, although interesting, really didn't work out very well. The only game I've got where it's useful is Pac-Man Vs.