New hack blows PS3 wide open

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Draven, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    New hack blows PS3 wide open |
    ...Oops.

2. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

Is that actually true? Do we have a legal right to run any software we like on our PS3s?

3. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Nope.

That's what all that "End User License Agreement" stuff is all about.

Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

EDIT: I should be a little more specific - it's not illegal (as in, against the actual law) to hack your Playstation, but it IS a breach of the EULA, which in a nutshell states that you have simply paid for the right to have a copy of of the PS3 in your home, but you do not OWN the PS3, which is still property of Sony. The police aren't likely to kick anyone's door in, but Sony could very easily make anyone's life hell in court.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It took them 5 years. They aren't very good :lol 

Yes dude, your a fucking god damned hero now.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think that it really was the case that none of the more capable hackers started working on the ps3 security until sony pissed them off by taking away support for other os.

The people who broke the security have indicated that they have no real interest in piracy, but just want the functionality that they paid for when they purchased the system back.

If you look at the history of the ps3, there was only really one major security break found (which was quickly patched from what i remember) up until the point that sony removed linux dupport for security reasons. Since then we've seen the ps3 dongle hack, and now the master key has been found. The same key has just been found for the psp as well.

I dont feel bad for sony in the least about this. They have been slowly drawing back the capabilities of the machine that "does everything" for a while now, and people finally had enough. I dont think that it will really kill the ps3 either though. The ps2 was hacked long ago and is still in stores. The same is true of the wii and the xbox 360. In fact i think the 360 had probably the best antipiracy feature in the console ban from live.

All in all i hope that this leads to some interesting homebrew, like the dreamcast and saturn emulators ive heard about.

6. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

It's only a matter of time before every piece of machinery released to the public gets tech raped.

Up the security a bit, put some tasers in there. If you tamper with it, you will be tazed.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You really believe this? They did it for Linux, eh? Why have they admitted trying this since before sony started "removing" things that they cared about?

I'm not ripping on them for fucking with Sony, though I believe the people who have "had enough" are simply louder at barking, because all (not most) of the PS3 owners I know don't even care about the things that there people bitch about, and some of the people who bitch about them don't have PS3s and use these things as a means to state what they don't want one.

These guys get too much attention for the things they do. I don't pity Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, or whatever company these guys hack. I just think he's a little shit for stating that someone is getting trouble at work over something he did. Awesome dude, you potentially got someone fired, and used the excuse that you're just trying to make Linux available to the 1% of playstation owners who use it and dealt another blow to the hard work that game developers do, by opening yet another door to piracy (something that a lot more than 1% of system owners do take advantage of).

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  8. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    So, does this mean I can't use my PS3 right now?

9. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I don't think they started doing it because linux was removed. I think they started doing it because they were actually interested in the capabilities of the hardware.

I think that the recent restrictions placed on the ps3 by sony have increased their interest in completely breaking the security though. Based on the timelines for the hacks and sony's removal of linux from the ps3, it matches up pretty close. There wasn't much progress for 4 years, then linux is removed, and within a year the entire console is compromised. That suggests there is at least some link between the two.

You're right that almost nobody cares about linux, but it seems to me that the only people who probably care about linux or other os functionality on the ps3, likely also includes the type of users who would actually have the interest and know how to find out how to break the console security to use it if it were taken away from them.

I'm not saying that there aren't parties involved with an interest in piracy. Piracy will happen because of this. But at the same time, not everyone cares only about getting free games. A lot of people just do this sort of stuff to see if they can do it. If you want an example of that, look at the psp go. Up until this week there was no way to actually get backups running on it, but there have been homebrew loaders available for some time now. Consider all the wii remote hacks (such as the virtual smart board), or the hacks coming out for the kinect.

10. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Hmm...does this mean we finally have an excuse to get a PS2 & PS backwards compatible system again?

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    eR...that should of read, "shouldn't", not "can't"...

12. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    why shouldn't you use it?

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The hacks on the Kinect are interesting and creative, and as far as anyone can tell don't hurt the sales of video games. I'm not saying that video game developers need to be millionaires, but the more people get educated in doing this stuff (much like torrenting music), the more developers will have to cut costs and the more we honest gamers will see a lack of quality or other things in games. I admit, I used the Dreamcast for other things, but the system was already dead when I started playing old Atari games on it.

I think the reason my panties are in a bunch is because this guys was boasting about getting someone in trouble at work over hacking a system. So, you hurt the business with your bullshit, and then you take pride in the fact that someone might lose their job over your bullshit.

14. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I meant, was it a major issue that is recommended that PS3 owners do not use their system. I may be misreading the story.

15. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

I can agree with this.

And spoiler, i dont think there is any reason not to use your ps3. The master key has to dobwith how the ps3 recognizes a program is legitimate. Unless you download a program from the internet that someone has made on their own, then signed it with this key, it wont affect you.

16. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Thanks, I can be a paranoid person is all.

17. ronin0510

ronin0510 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now games will be dlc only. You'll pay 60 bucks for the disk but cant play until you buy the dlc to unlock the game to play past the first level..... i know i am overexaggerating but piracy is causing us to move to such a scenario.

18. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    These kind of actions always bothered me. It reminds me of the Salarian in Mass Effect 1 who is trying to make a device that helps you win at gambling. His argument of course is that what he is doing is not illegal since he is only making it, not using it. And of course making piracy possible isn't bad because THAT PERSON is not using it for pirating games. And of course pirating games "I wouldn't normally buy" is just dandy. The point is, though, that if the people behind this stuff really had noble reasoning, they would keep it to themselves. Going this public is going to lead to piracy, and these guys aren't dumb so unless they are really fooling themselves, they know what they're doing. It's amazing how many people pirate from an industry they love.

19. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

so then what do you say about sony and the other major electronics manufacturers who sit back and tell you not to pirate their software, then produce the drives and the media to do so?

It's like a book publisher saying don't photocopy our books, but here, buy this brand new photocopier that can copy books at 3x the speed of our old copier, and try this new paper that is easier to read.

One thing that some of you may find actually pleasing is that because this is a master key crack and not a modchip or dongle, etc is that it actually hurts the people who make money off of piracy (other than those who produce the media and burners). There is nothing to solder in or install, therefore there really is nothing to buy. As such, all of these companies that would normally be jumping all over this like they did with the ps3 dongle hack gain nothing from it. Sure, it's a blow against sony, but it's a blow against modchip sellers as well.

20. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I blame Algebra being required knowledge for graduating High School. Not everyone needs it-- and now look what it's done! Damn you, Algebra!