Heavy/Scratch: New Gunslinger figure: Mayhem!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Ramrider, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I've just had my latest batch of test prints through from Shapeways.

The main thing I was after is my latest Gunslinger, Mayhem.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not surprisingly, he turns into a gun, which Drift here has got his hands on...

[​IMG]

Less standard a feature, are the tabs on his back (which I forgot to take a photo of - I'll do it for the painted photoshoot, though) which allow you to peg him into Drift or Blurr's hood in vehicle mode.

[​IMG]

I also got my first Detail test prints. These include a head which I designed for Whiteburn (a custom I'm doing for Warriorpriest's charity auction), which I've actually started painting some clear red onto already in this pic, and a few bits of Dustup, which I ordered to check the durability and quality of the acrylic Detail plastic, to see if it was viable to release my figures in those materials.

[​IMG]

The verdict, by the way, is "not quite yet". I like the quality of the plastic (once it's been cleaned up; there were various bits of uncured residue left in several of the recesses). And I've been pleasantly surprised so far at the durability of the ball joints; I was worried mostly about the 3mm dia. ball shafts snapping during assembly, or the sockets fracturing, but they seem to work quite nicely. However, the hinge which mounts the barrel onto the back of the torso, while fine in WSF, snapped when I tried to assemble them. So I'm going to have to explore strengthening certain areas before I'm confident enough to make them available in Detail. But it does look promising. ;) 

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Mayhem's design is very cool looking. He looks great mounted on Drift's hood.

3. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Don't order in detail!!! It may be as flexible as WSF, but nowhere near as springy. As soon as it is deformed, it will never go back to it's original shape. Just a warning. :) 

Mayhem looks awesome, though since I hate the Drift mold, I'm not interested. ;) 

4. Quantum

Quantum Oh good

Dude, I have to save up so much money to buy all these gunslingers of yours! They're awesome!

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thankye kindly. It took a couple of attempts to get the tab system perfected, but now it fits in quite snugly.
    I'm looking forward to getting hold of an actual Blurr to use him with, but Drift will do nicely in the meantime. :) 

No need to let that stop you, lad - just because he's got a little bonus for the Drift mould doesn't make him useless to everyone else! ;) 

I wasn't even aware there was any flex to Detail - it seems pretty rigid to me. Since these aren't intended to be springy, I think Detail is a viable possibility for them, as long as I can strengthen any points that are likely to snap (which is mostly the hinges I mentioned).
    There may be many things that Detail's not suited for, but that doesn't make it a complete no-go. :p 

Thanks! :D 

6. thielmj

thielmj Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    glad i waited on ordering your last 2 designs this way i can order this one with them

7. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    cant wait to get some of these guys

8. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Crap! now i need money :banghead: 

9. supervir2

supervir2 Feels like the kid in Big everyday.

News Credits:
    Will definitely be picking some of these up in time. I'll wait and see how the detail experiment pans out. Is doubletime eventually going to see release?

10. Farrk

Farrk Well-Known Member

Dude. I JUST FINISHED making Blurr a TM from your earlier ones! GARGGGHHHH!!!

11. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Thanks, all! The rate he's getting painted up, he'll easily be available by the end of the week, and possibly even tomorrow! :D 

The Detail looks promising, in the regard that the ball joints seem plenty sturdy enough for general use, and so with a little tweaking, I think some of my models can realistically be released in Detail. But I can't guarantee all will, as some of them (Vantage, for instance) have parts which, while fine in WSF, won't be able to withstand much handling if printed in Detail. It's definitely going to be a case-by-case basis.
    And yes, Doubletime will indeed be released. He mostly works really well as is, but there are a bunch of minor tweaks I need to make before I'll be properly satisfied with it, and I need to take some time to go over the model and figure out exactly what all those tweaks are. :p 

Sorry. :redface2:  There's nothing wrong with using a different one for Blurr if you want; if you really feel you want Mayhem for him now, maybe the one you've got can be reassigned? :) 
    To try and avoid future anguish, the first year ('87) characters (that's eleven of them) will all be covered, so if there are any that you want that I haven't done yet, you may want to hold your horses for a little while before you reassign one of the existing ones. ;) 

12. nemisispringer

nemisispringer Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    someone didnt pay enough attention to the threads

13. stilettoheels

stilettoheels Banned

these things are awesome!

14. WeaponOfficer

WeaponOfficer Well-Known Member

Power Core Combiners,,,!! (Autobot Drift version.. )