New Green Arrow fan, recomendations?

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Fairlady_Z, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thanks to Smallville and the JLU DVDs I'm really starting to like Ollie and I'm thinking about picking up some of the comics/trades. I've already read Kevin Smith's Quiver and Sounds of Violence thanks to my local library. What should I read next? Is the current comic any good or should I go after some trades that collect the more classic stuff? What's the story that Ollie died in and has it been collected in a trade? Are there any good Justice League or Birds of Prey stories with Ollie that I should know about? What about Batman/Green Arrow stories? I really like the friendship between the two major non-superpowered members of the JL.

2. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

The whole current series has been pretty good. Great read if you can get them.

Another highly recommended Ollie read (again, if you can find it) would be "Hard Travelin' Heroes" from the 70's. Neal Adams classic. It focus' on Hal (Green Lantern) Jordan and Oliver Queen (Arrow) traveling the country, both having opposing views on things, and learning from each other. It's just one of the best runs of any series.

3. Random Autobot

Random Autobot Soviet Kanukistani

"The Longbow Hunters" three part series by Mike Grell is a fantastic read, and integral for any Green Arrow fan.

4. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

Oooh yeah. Longbow Hunters kicked major ass. Grab that ASAP.

5. Cy-Kill

Cy-Kill Slackers unite...tomorrow

Longbow Hunters is where it's at.

I got all 3 issues for $5 off eBay in pretty decent condition, and it was worth every penny. One my best deals, along with getting the entire Dark Knight Returns series for $25 in practically brand-new condition, and getting Amazing Spider-Man #243-329 for $200 (including Amazing #300) all in great condition.

6. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

Or dont. its a terrible read. Hard travelin heroes I mean..

Get his currrent run. the stuff metlzer wrote is pretty good. heck even the few arcs kevin smith did were good.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The Hard Travelin' Heroes stuff is classic. It was one of the first comics to really get into social relevence, which was a pretty big movement in the industry for awhile. That sad, it's not very easy to read now, as it tends to be very preachy and is heavily focused on social issues from the late 60s. The art is undeniably wonderful, though. And if you're a fan of the Justice Leagure cartoon, it's worth looking into to see the debut of John Stewart (and then groan as he says "Call me Black Lantern!").

Edit: Sorry, I meant "relevence" not "relativism." My fault for trying to actually use my brain in the morning.

8. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Thanks guys. I going to pick up the trades of Longbow Hunters and Green Lantern/Green Arrow road trip stuff when I get a chance. I just picked up the current One Year Later stuff. Ollie as mayor, now that's something I never expected, but if Luthor can be in politics why not a superhero? Star City's situation seems very NYC ground zero/Katrina New Orleans current. A few question to those who know:

1. If Gotham is based on NYC and Metropolis is based on Chicago, what city is Star City based on and where is this fictional city located appox. in the DC US?

2. Who is Connor's mother? Is it Shado?

3. When did Ollie first find out about Connor and when did they first meet?

4. Any good Batman/Green Arrow stories you recomend?

5. Any good JLA or JSA stories with Ollie you recomend?

6. What issue did Ollie "die" in?

9. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

star city is in maryland.

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Ollie never really dominated any storylines in the original run of JLA. Gardner Fox rarely used Green Arrow unless the full team was gathered, and there were actually a sizeable amount of calls for Ollie to be dropped from the title and/or killed off. It wasn't until Denny O'Neil took over that Green Arrow became the loud, obnoxious liberal of the Justice League. Around this time the major developments in his character were his relationship with Black Canary and his arguments with Hawkman. nothing that really stands out, though.

The biggest Green Arrow-centric issues I can thing of were the issues where he proposes the League inducts Black Lightning (and the ridiculous way they go about testing him) in 173-174, which started an ongoing subplot of Olli being dissatisfied with how powerful the League was, which eventually led to him quitting in issues 181-182.

Ollie met his Golden Age counterpart in issues 100-102 when the JLA and JSA teamed up to locate the long-lost Seven Soldiers of Victory. He didn't play a big role in the story, but it's the only time I know of when the Earth-1 and Earth-2 Green Arrows ever met.

He was also one of the three heroes who starred in "Man, Thy Name is Brother" in issue 57. This story dealing with the need to end racism was one of the most acclaimed issues of Gardner Fox's run (even though the depiction of Indians as superstitious savages wasn't especially enlightened and Flash's use of the word "Negro" makes the modern reader whince).

In more recent times, Ollie was envolved in the Justice League Elite miniseries and played a large role in the last few issues of JLA v3.

The only time I can remember Ollie appearing in JSA was the Thanksgiving issue from a couple years back. Issue #52 or so.