New Generation of Autobots

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by grunge, Jun 23, 2012.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    I saw an IDW comic of Alpha Trion telling 3 young Autobots wearing G2 symbols about old battles as Ironhide walked up ... It got me to thing, who are or is the new generation of Autobots?
    All I could think of were:
    Sideburn of RiD/CarRobots
    Hotshot of Unicron Trilogy
    Bulkhead of Animated and Prime
    Drift of IDW continuity
    Those are the only ones who are really new new since the end of the G1/G2 era. (I've excluded beast era since its pretty much all new characters right?)
    So that's it? only 4? its seems odd that weve come thus far with so few characters as new. everyone else is homage or a reimaged version.

2. Stardust262

Stardust262 Moe is the Only Way

News Credits:
    Crosswise from Cybertron is a new character to the best of my knowledge

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Wouldn't RID X-Brawn count with this?

4. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

Well Sideburn is a homage to both Tracks and Hot Rod. You ever notice the color schemes are the same?

Hot Shot is re-imagined from RID Hot Shot and is also loosly based on Hot Rod. He took over as leader when Optimus died and his Cybertron mold has Hot Rod's spoiler.

Bulkhead was re-imagined from Energon Bulkhead.

So yeah, really none of them were entirely original.

Crosswise was Sideways' Mini-con in Armada along with Rook. There was also an Autobot spychanger in RID named Crosswise... I think he was a toy only character though.

Really? Brawn was on the original Ark crew. X-Brawn is based on him.

Anyway... There are a few characters that have never been re-imagined or based off any older character. W.A.R.S. and R.E.V. from RID for example, they're like the only characters ever who's names are acronyms.

Armada Demolishor, OK Not an Autobot but that's actually a cool name for a character and that's the first time it was used.

Again not an Autobot but Lugnutz from Energon who's often confused for Lugnut from Animated are both totally original.

Sari from Animated, she was a Cybertronian who scanned a human alt mode so technically she is an Autobot. Totally original character.

Que and Dino from Dark of the Moon. OK yeah originally they were going to be Wheeljack and Mirage but the names were never used and they look nothing like them so they don't really count. That would be like counting Frenzy from the first movie as Soundwave because he was originally going to be Soundwave.

And again not Autobots but Scalpel from Revenge of the Fallen and Knock Out from Prime are totally original as neither of them are based on older characters. In fact they're the first medic type Decepticons ever to appear in fiction.

5. Stardust262

News Credits:
    Okay

Evac from Cybertron. He didn't appear in anything til then

6. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    wow thats alot of re-imaginig for bulkhead...

so only drift was new?

also wanted it to be autobot only, but ...
    Yeah those cons are something. come to think of it aside from megatron not many cons ever seemed to good with science or repairs it came from his mind.

7. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    You guys forgot about DOTM Leadfoot.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    *waiting for "Leadfoot was re-imagined from G2, PCC and Speed Stars"*

9. Crumplezone

Crumplezone Banned

Your not serious, are you?

10. SaberPrime

All of the Dark of the Moon Wreckers take their names from other characters he was just the only one that wasn't originally a Wrecker.

Leadfoot (G2) - Transformers Wiki

11. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Keep in mind these are all different universes so how can you say what is new and not new? Unless you are just talking about characters who were homages of someone previously.

12. SaberPrime

The OP clearly said in the first post he was only counting characters who were 100% new not homages of or sharing a name with a pre-existing character.

13. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    ^^^^thats right!

so by that respect only Drift is new. Since Hotshot, Bulkhead, and Sideburn are homages ... though im still not seeing how recient Bulkheads are related to Energon Bulkhead. but ok!

14. scorpio-prime

scorpio-prime Dreamer with fists

The Beast Wars Mutants Ice Bird and Poison Bite were two entirely new characters (makes sense given they were brought in from the Animorphs toyline).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Stardust262

News Credits:
    And Evac from Cybertron

16. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Yeah but honestly their's really nothing in common between the Leadfoots aside from being racing cars. They don't look or act the same.

17. SaberPrime

Because they have the same name. Plus even though the personality and build of the character is completely different he still has the same green color scheme. Which I guess almost makes Bulkhead a Springer homage sense Energon Bulkhead kinda looks like G1 Springer.

Anyway I don't get why everyone on this forum gets all uptight about what qualifies as a "new character" especially when your definition of "new" is actually 28 years old.

Optimus Primal, RID Optimus Prime, UT Optimus Prime, Movie Optimus Prime, Animated Optimus Prime, and Prime Optimus Prime are all different characters from G1 Optimus Prime but none of them have ever really been "new" characters sense they're all based on G1 Optimus Prime. They are new INCARNATIONS of a character but they are not new characters. An actual new character can't be based on a character who already existed and even just using a name is basing one character off the other unless you weren't intentionally trying to use the name of an existing character but considering they have a list of old Transformers names that Hasbro still holds the Trade Mark for I highly doubt they pick them by accident when they use the same name for a "new character".

Basically "new character" can have more than one meaning depending on the context you're using it in and people should really stop trying to fit any new incarnation of an old character into the same definition as a totally new character made from scratch without any influence from a previously existing character.

Oh and Vector Prime from Cybertron was a new character I think... but I think he had a lot of design elements of Alpha Trion who ended up as part of Vector Sigma so he could be based on Alpha Trion... I might just be seeing a connection here where there is none. This is a bit more elaborate way to base one character off another I could just be seeing a connection that wasn't intentionally placed there.

18. afmultiverse

afmultiverse Banned

No, he was in the show.

19. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    E Bulkheads Japanese name was Sprung, and was indeed a Springer Homage ... as an old man....

Vector Prime and Alpha Trion are both of the 13 primes so coincidence is likely.

20. Maximo Prime

Maximo Prime Bassist of Ill Repute

Ebay:
    just my 2ยข, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING showing that Ani and TFP Bulkhead are reimaginings of E-Bulkhead. they share a name, and that is it. Anything else, and you are truly just deluding yourself...