New G1 Prime Knockoff Out! Buyer Beware!

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by GetterDragun, Mar 16, 2007.

1. GetterDragun

GetterDragun Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    We know that there is a G1 knockoff Prime out already, but there is a new knockoff out where they fixed the issues with the box! The original KO had a Grey border along the top of the box, which was the giveaway, the new KO does not! The only way to tell is that the background goes straight across on the new KO box, where as on the real one, the border is not perfectly straight across.

Here is the auctions on Yahoo Japan (you might need to log in to see it):
    http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r35645824

Here are the images for reference:

Original KO:
    [​IMG]

New KO:
    [​IMG]

Real G1 Prime:
    [​IMG]

Thanks to Seibertron.com for hosting the images.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I still firmly believe these KO are detrimental to the collector's market. Seeing this only supports it even more.

3. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

So this would be an example of a knockoff?

If it is at least the seller took the time to wear it down.

4. Optimus Scourge

Optimus Scourge Arcee's boy toy Veteran

News Credits:
    Any back of box pics?

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  6. GetterDragun

GetterDragun Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Your right, there are some originals without the notch, I searched e-bay and saw the notch, checked my original G1 Prime and saw the box had that and thought it would be the tell. I guess that means there is no way to tell now. Also, just to validate my thoughts, all of the sellers items are TF knockoffs, so I'm sure he wouldn't be selling a brand new MISB G1 Prime for $90. Also, their feedback shows they other KOs including one of these Primes.

7. OldSchool80sKid

OldSchool80sKid Banned

Here is my original. It's the real deal because I bought it myself in 1985 to keep in box. It's border is completely straight. So, it's going to be tough to tell the difference based on that.

8. joshtheninja

joshtheninja Well-Known Member

Just great. Another KO people are going to be spending over 100 dollars for. Have fun people!!! KO's would be totally kick ass if the sellers didn't want a fortune for them and then idiots on Ebay bidding them up like they a original G1 MISB toys.

9. joshtheninja

joshtheninja Well-Known Member

You know how to tell the difference? It's simple the box will look WAY TO NEW!!!

10. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

oh, i have a Diaclone Wheeljack box that pre-dates transformers by about 2 years, and it's in absolutly brand new condition.... so... all new looking boxes are KO... hmmm.. your logic is flawed me thinks

11. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Got that beat. Galvatro/Kaickul has a G1 car, Mirage IIRC. It's sealed. The box looks brand new. What's so amazing? The box was COMPLETELY WRAPPED IN LAYER AFTER LAYER OF PACKING TAPE at one time. It really is impressive...

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hey you guys, shuddup! You're telling the knockoffers how to make a more accurate thing! ;) 

13. Sludge

Sludge Formerly NC Bulkhead

News Credits:
    I'm glad I never collected MISB Transformers. The originals are gonna take a beating now. It will be too hard to tell if someone is selling an original or a KO. Now when I see MISB on eBay I automatically assume it's a KO.

With that being said, I buy the KO's. I don't collect for value. I collect for Nostalgia. If I can get a KO for 1/4th of the price I'll buy it every time. I have the KO Prime and it looks awesome in my collection. I will have the KO Swoop very soon too.

14. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is why I don't like KO's. I, personally don't care if they make them only that they don't try to make them EXACTLY like the originals. That's just plain dishonest. Of course people will try to Ebay them as originals... They either can't tell the difference or they're trying to rip people off.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    True enough. Even official Takara/Hasbro reissues don't try to have identical packaging to the originals.

16. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Good thing too, because you paid a fair sum of money for nothing. Regardless of how authentic KOs look, you either have a proper G1 figure or you don't.

17. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

some people don't care if it's "proper" some pepple collect on asthetic quality, like me. i have a g1 prime, and i have the KO. the KO in misb adds an amazing asthetic to my collection, and only cost me $40, whereas an original g1 prime misb would have cost 5-6x that, and thats too much to pay for purly asthetic purpose. yeah, so what if they arn't by hasbro? if you don't want themm don't buy them, and leave them for us that do, and use them as an affordable means untill an original is within afordability, or use as a cheap fodder for a kitbash.

18. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Agreed, Wheeljaxx. Like the Swoop KO; I can't wait to get my hands on it. I could never afford a perfect condition original G1 Swoop. It's the same with these Prime KOs for a lot of people.
    Incidentally, my original G1 Prime doesn't have that nothc, andit's definitely an original as it belonged to a friend of mine when he was a kid.

19. Swoop

Swoop Well-Known Member

Nothing amazing about having a cheap fake.

Because you're just contributing to the spread of fakes, harming Hasbro by supporting real looking KOs, and taking away from the likelihood of another G1 Prime reissue or an official Swoop reissue.

[quote[if you don't want themm don't buy them, and leave them for us that do, and use them as an affordable means untill an original is within afordability, or use as a cheap fodder for a kitbash.[/QUOTE]

I don't buy G1 KOs, I wouldn't waste the money on them. If you want an affordable original, just save up for one, for God's sake. And don't pretend it's for kitbashing. There must be millions of beaten up G1 Primes out there that are perfect for kitbashing.

Rather, you don't want to afford it. And that's a whole different situation. And of course, you still won't have Swoop at the end of the day, regardless of how many KOs of him you buy.

20. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

*sigh* It seems this thread went totally askew, as usual, into opinions about what is bad and what is good. Get back on topic, y'all! Is there any way of knowing which is a new fake and which one is an original G1 Prime?