New eBay feedback system being implemented

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Paladine, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Paladine

Paladine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this has been posted before, but eBay is going to be making changes to their feedback system. The biggest rule change that I can see is that sellers can no longer leave negative or neutral feedback to buyers. This eliminates the fear of retaliatory negatives that the buyer always fears.

Finally!

To see the full list of changes, please go here.

2. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
  3. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

so if you sell to someone and he never pays, you cant leave him a neg?

4. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    You can if you file a non-paying bidder complaint AND he doesn't reply to it.

5. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    good news for scammers

6. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

Would you mind explaining your position?

7. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Yeah if you sell something and have no feedback entitlement and some douche decides he is going to try and stiff you, you then end up with a negative and probably out of pocket with no goods, I guess you've never been on the rough end of ebay or paypal

8. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

This is taken directly from the EBay link:

What happens when a buyer uses negative Feedback as a threat to receive better service or additional goods/services from the seller?

If a buyer uses the threat of negative Feedback to demand more than what was promised in the item description (e.g. wants overnight delivery but only paid for standard delivery) the seller should immediately report the buyer to eBay.
    If there is clear evidence of extortion eBay will take action typically on a first offense
    If a buyer shows a pattern of malicious behavior (multiple seller reports such as UPI), eBay will most likely suspend the buyer
    If we suspend the buyer, any negative or neutral Feedback the buyers left for sellers will be removed. Sellers should only file these complaints when the buyer asks for more than what is promised in the listing. Filing a false claim may result in seller suspension.

IMO this is a huge stride for buyers who feel cheated yet afraid to leave proper feedback knowing full well that they will receive a negative in retaliation. BTW, I have over 900 feedback from buying and selling so I'm well aware of the occasional clown that will pop up. I have run into far more dishonorable sellers than buyers.

9. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    Yeah I said I had been on the end of buying and if ebay were actually giving a toss about the buyers and not their wallets as per usual then I wouldnt mind but as we all know paypal is as crap as they come when you actually need them and getting through to ebay is a nightmare.

I've never been afraid to give a negative to a seller even if they give one in return, it hurts them more than me

10. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    In the new system, we're supposed to rely on eBay more to take care of problems. When has that ever been consistently successful throughout eBay history? Like usual, they'll take care of PowerSellers first, and leave normal buyers in the cold.

The new system may be a stride for buyers, but a huge step back for sellers. Sellers will have a lot less control to make auction policies. You don't need one buyer with a pattern to screw a seller. You can have many different buyers with a bad attitude have the same effect. eBay won't take action against this according to their statement. If each of them makes a different demand, regarding feedback, shipping, or something more frivolous, what's a seller to do?

QFT! The only thing I want to know about a buyer is if they have a problem with UPI's or leaving sellers excessive negatives. Buyer feedback is otherwise useless.

11. Red leader

Red leader Nom Nom Nom

News Credits:
    yep I agree, I'm a seller to and have only ever left about 3 negs and they were for 1) getting stiffed out of £400+ which ebay and paypal did F all about
    2) some guy who didnt post some airmax and after a month I got pissed and cancelled the order 3) for some guy who changed the payment options on me and instead of using paypal he would accept a cheque only and no paypal, he also told me he was off to australia to live in a month so needed it quick, yeah right.

As a buyer I have come across some really nasty buyers, one guy even went to so far as to threaten coming to my house because I wouldnt sell him a rodimus prime for £10!!! it works both ways but ebay unfortunately just dont care about anyone but themselves

12. JBrock

JBrock TFW2005 Supporter

the current system is severely flawed in that it has now become the buyers responsibility to leave feedback first. I have won about 25 different items this month and as an experiment I have purposely left the feedback blank until the seller leaves it for me first. Out of 20 sellers, only 2 have left posiive feedback first. The rest have sat waiting for me to act first.

The new system may need fixing but we won't know until it is in full swing. I just don't see how it could be done any other way. I would like to hear what you guys think would be a fair system. Finally, EBay cares about the shareholders. The earnings will dictate the policies. Powerselllers generate more profit so they should get preferential treatment, just as volume buyers do from any given seller.

13. RoboticPlanet

News Credits:
    Honestly, I feel a TF forum resolving a flawed eBay system is futile. It's actually been beaten to death here in the past without any resolution (of course). If you want years of reading on eBayers ideas to fix feedback, search eBay's community forums.
    As far as the state of the current system, keep in mind it's 100% voluntary, and eBay takes absolutely no stance on when someone should leave feedback and in what order. Just like shipping and payment methods, the seller has the freedom to choose their policy for feedback. If you're concerned about it, again just like shipping and payment methods, you should ask the seller before you bid. I guess my one suggestion (this just occurred to me) would be make the sellers feedback policy mandatory in the listing.