new dragonball evolution trailer!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Rumble02, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

(Did Research)
    Ok, I've confuse Chi Chi with Bulma. (I've only saw their trailer)
    I just like it if FOX are going to do a movie based on something has already existed in a way as Dragonball Series has. I think they should keep it consistent. The Goku in Dragonball cartoon always seems to be part Asian in my eyes.

But do you know how many asian-born-movies-or-stories-turned-to-American-movies have be screwed up.

The Ring series, Ju-on (The Grudge), One missed Call, and G Savior are the ones I am aware of (by my opinion of course.) Others may have done it better.

For this series, I perfer all the characters to have a different name if they aren't going to be true to the series. (Note before you say it. Transformers is an exception)

2. Darkwing48

You may like this one.

IF the will do this to Sailor Moon, THOSE GIRLS BETTER BE PLAYBOY PLAYMATEs

3. Takao

Takao Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You do realize the Sailor Scouts are high school students right? Besides, none of the Sailors were that busty...

To be a PlayBoy Playmate you've got to be 18 or older. Women in those ages are usually aren't in highschool.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    As far as I know, the only characters with any Asian characteristics are Yamcha, Krillin, Yajirobe, and Grandpa Gohan. Everyone else is either an alien (Saiyans and Nemekians), a mutant(Tien), blatantly not asian (Chichi, Hercule, Videl, Bulma), or ambiguous (Chiaotzu, Roshi.)

5. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

I'm feeling a distinct "meh", I don't have any particular love of DB/DBZ so it's not like I'm speaking as a long time fan or anything but that just looks kind of crap.

6. Darkwing48

Ok. The DB world is not like ours. No 7 continents. But. Look at the company he kept, (Minus Krillin and Bulma). You can tell their relative to real life background. I love that they created a diverse world, even in the extras. In the English dubbed verison, even Kami's assistant, without citing Jim Crow, seemed a little Jamaican. They didn't name Yamcha, Tien, Chou Zhu as Bob, Johnny, or Lil' man.

Goku had Jet black hair, like Yamcha, that stood up tall . Tell me what other Anime have draw a non-Asian character with those features.

7. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

One of my friends is going to see this on his birthday. The funny thing is, he dislikes anime and he doesn't expect the movie to be any good. But he does think, and I agree, it will likely be a movie so bad that you have to watch it (a la Mario Bros.). I plan on going along with him.

8. Darkwing48

I mean a USA-adaptation movie. I've saw a piece of that movie here on someones avatar.

9. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Hey it's Double Dragon.

I love James as Piccolo and I don't mind the idiot playing Goku. But would it kill them director to get these two trained for the fight scene like the guys in Matrix did.

Heck the from what I've seen the brunette will have the best fights in the movie.

10. Kickback

Kickback @GeekWithChris Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Does Emmy Rossum get naked?

If so I'm game.

11. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

At best you might get a rear back shot,but nothing more.

12. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    I got more out of Anne Hatheway in "Bride Wars".

13. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

What do you mean by this? Do you mean that Transformers was true to the series, or that it wasn't, but you're okay with it being called Transformers?

14. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

To each his own, I guess.

15. Darkwing48

I'm meant that this since this DB movie story is somewhat derived from the original DB, and since I don't like the fact that Live Goku doesn't look like the original Goku. The story isn't 100% like the original (Dragonball Origin). I wish the protagonist is another character name than a Goku.

What I meant by Transformers was that the movie and G1 wasn't exactly the same, but Optimus Prime looked like Optimus Prime than a Grimlock.

16. Kickback

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Transformers Movie 2007 -

Autobots and Decepticons - check
    From Cybertron - check
    Optimus Prime, Megatron, Bumblebee, Starscream - check
    Meet a kid named Spike - check (close enough, Sam Witwickey)

Kept pretty true to the original source material.

Dragonball Evolution 2009
    Goku, Roshi, Bulma, Piccolo - check
    Dragonballs created by Namek Guardian - no check (far as we know, they were created by 7 mystics who protected the Earth from a great evil)
    Goku is an alien called a Saiyan from the planet Vegeta - no check (as far as we know, Goku is just a guy that is trained to be the ultimate fighter to stop Piccolo from getting the Dragonballs)
    Bulma part of Capsule Corp. - check

So while the Transformers are aliens from another planet fighting each other on Earth, Dragonball Evolution so far seems to be a guy who is trained to be the ultimate fighter to stop the evil Piccolo from capturing the Dragonballs. While part of that is reminiscent of the original Dragonball series, the glaring fact that Goku is NOT a Saiyan really, really sticks out like ... well ... a stick in the mud.

Half the point of Dragonball, especially in the Z series, was the ascent of the Saiyans from strong fighters to being Super Saiyans, warriors of incredible strength and power with the ability to destroy the world, but choose to save it from various evils, sometimes in a half-hearted attempt to prove they are the strongest beings in the Universe.

Vegeta easily made Dragonball Z the success it was, and the storyline of Goku's son Gohan rising up and becoming more powerful than he ever was (until the Buu saga) is one of the greatest stories told through animation (even if it was drawn out over 300 episodes).

So far, Dragonball Evolution doesn't seem to follow the original story at all, and while it's understandable considering it would make for a poor story on the big screen, it's still sad to see a franchise literally milked for the name and nothing else.

17. Darkwing48

Don't forget the issue with Saiyans and the Full Moon. Which disappeared after the Vegeta saga

It still bothers me about that "transforming capsule." It's like a Real Gear Nightmare.

18. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

oh god. i just watched the trailer again.

It doesn't get any better does it, and now i feel ill.

19. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Goku still is a Saiyan from what I heard.

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits: