New Dr. Who fan

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ok, a little while ago I posted a thread looking for guidance on how to get into Dr. Who. The general consensus was to start with the new series, although some of y'all recommended like twenty films "as a starting point."

Anyways, I loved it. Thought it was original and fantastic. I'll probably always favor Eccelston--the 10th Doctor looks like a litte bit of a wimp.

But I wanna get into the older stuff also now. I watched "Spearhead from Space" (on the logic that it had the Nestene guys, which were also in the new series), but I'd like to get caught up with the Daleks. Some of my favorites scenes from the new series were the Doctor's visceral reaction to the Daleks, and I want to see how that developed.

So I wanna thank those of you who turned me onto a GREAT show, and now I'm looking for some classic Dalek recommendations.

2. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

3. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

There's a lot of great Dalek episodes...I'd recommend "Day of the Daleks", a great Pertwee story, "Genesis of the Daleks", an origin story for them, with Tom Baker, and "Remembrance of the Daleks", with Sylvester McCoy (which is also one of the best of McCoy's episodes.

I fully agree about Doctor Who's awesomeness, though I'd disagree with you about Tennant's Doctor. While not as physically imposing as Eccleston, the character of the Tenth Doctor still seems more powerful and dangerous to me. But hey, that's just my opinion, and I'd say all of the Doctors have really standout qualities.

If you get interested in the Cybermen, "Tomb of the Cybermen", with Patrick Troughton's one of my faves, there.

4. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Seconded. A magnificent entry from the Troughton era.

5. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I just got into the Doctor Who series as well. I started watching a few episodes of Season 3 and then went back to season 2 and finished up the rest of season 3. Now I'm watching season 1. Although I began watching the series randomly I've enjoyed it either way. Can't wait for the new season to begin. Also, I began watching Torchwood as well which looks interesting.

6. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Dr. Who is a great series indeed, It has the originality others lack, and I agree that Christpoher Is a better Doctor than Tennant, but just because he seems like fooling around. Tennant I admire because the season he stars has a more serious tones, with more deadly foes, that required a more straigh-to-action doctor.

7. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Genesis of the Daleks is an ABSOLUTE MUST. One of the greatest Doctor Who television stories ever with a great Doctor in the prime of his run. Furthermore, it's the story that tells how the Daleks were made! It's also been taken in as the event that starts the Time War.

After that, I'm a big fan of Ressurection of the Daleks. So much "Futuristic Sci-Fi" stuff that's scarily real. Biological weapons, cloning, etc. And it's just such a dark tale.

8. 04GHOST

04GHOST Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Dr Who is one of my favorites. I personally like Tennant best and miss Billie Piper :(  The Doctors "new" companion is starting to grow on me though.

9. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, same here. I like Tennant's character the best. He can pull off the whole playable character and turn serious immediately role. I love it when he does that.

10. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I like Tennant's Doctor better than Eccelston's. Eccleston tended to come across as really arrogant in an asshole kind of way. Tennant seems much more like a classic Doctor, too. I'm also preffering Martha to Rose, but I hate Martha's mother.

I'm wondering if any more Cybermen, will show up.

11. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

at least martha and her family don't live in council flats.

12. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Rop of my Netflix queue. I was going to just Wikipedia the plot summaries of Dalek episodes, but I didn't want to spoil anything.
    I hope I end up digging Tennant. Eccelston just seemed threatening to me when he had to, and I liked that. BUt I haven't seen any Series 2 episodes yet, so I don't actually know abot Tennant yet.

13. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Rememberence is my personal favorite Dalek story, but Genesis is legend and should be one of the first stops if your getting into the original series. I'm not big on allot of the other Dalek stuff, but you can't go far wrong with any of them if you want to see them turn up and shoot stuff.

Third the recommendation for Tomb of the Cybermen and i'd recommend Invasion as well if you don't mind watching the 2 missing episodes in animated form. Trout-era Cybermen have a menace about them that none of the subsequent versions have really had IMO.

14. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Oh yeah, Tennant has his moments like that. At some points, it almost seems that sometimes he's more threatening and darker than Eccelston was. Yeah he's a little more goofy and light hearted(which I think is still a bit of a front sometimes, as it was for Eccelston), but he still has a mean streak that pops up now and again.

15. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I also recommend "Remembrance Of the Daleks," and I'd go as far as to recommend the entire 7th Doctor's run. McCoy starts out as slightly buffoonish, but by the end of his last series, he's become a dark and manipulative character. Also, he plays the spoons.

16. Eradicator

Eradicator I am Antithesis

On the subject of DR Who, how much of the classic series is available on DVD? Is there any season sets for it. I've only seen a few random episodes at Hastings.

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    There's only one full season set, and that's the Key to Time season. The rest are just complete serials. Full season boxsets would be wonderful, but I don't see it happening (especially since the Hartnell and Troughton eras have so many lost episodes).

For good Dalek stories, Genesis and Remembrance are definitely must haves. It would also be worthwhile to check out some of the Hartnell Dalek stories, especially the original one and the Dalek Invasion of Earth. But I don't think those two are out on DVD yet. Resurrection of the Daleks isn't that bad, either, and it has some similarities to the Dalek story from season 3 of the new show.

And check out City of Death, too. It doesn't have Daleks or Cybermen in it, but it's just downright great. It's probably Tom Baker's last truly great adventure.

For the record, I've seen all ten Doctors in action, and I rate Tennant as one of my all-time favorites. His ability to switch from being incredibly manic to dead serious in an instant is great. He reminds me a lot of Sylvestor McCoy, my first and favorite Doctor. Eccleston was good, but I don't rate him nearly as high as Tennant.

18. RabidYak

I'd avoid getting the US KTT set at this point. BBCA are about to ditch it in favor of an R1 version of the set were getting next month, which has a proper RT restoration and extras package.

They are going to do sets over here whenever they get an entire years stuff done, which isn't going to be long since they have recently been releasing titles that will enable them to do that. I'd put money on Series 12, 22 and 26 being collected within the next 18 months or so.

Missing episodes won't stop them doing the same for Hartnell and Trout, they'll just collect the complete stuff and direct toward Lost in Time and the CDs for whats left of everything else. It didn't stop them from releasing Dads Army or Hancock's Half Hour in numbered releases, so it certainly isn't going to stop Doctor Who.

Having seen the piss awful discs that some other older BBC shows get, i'd rather keep the current release model and maintain the quality rather then give it up for the sake of saving a bit of money and getting it all a few years sooner.

Both of them have been out for donkeys. DIOE was one of the 40th anniversary releases and The Daleks is in The Beginning boxset with Unearthly Child and Edge of Destruction.

19. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I'd suggest watching the two movies with Peter Cushing.
    Dr Who and the Daleks and Daleks invasion of Earth 2150 AD.

While both are pretty good movies, Invasion of Earth wins for the surreal effect that is Daleks silently stalking a destroyed and deserted London.
    Also, the ending is pretty awsum.

For TV episodes, 'Genesis of the Daleks' and 'Remembrance of the Daleks' are two I can't recommend highly enough. That said, 'Genesis' is undoubtedly superior.

I can remember seeing one Dalek story set on another planet, and at one part, a few of the Daleks were attacked and destroyed by a snake-like monster. That was pretty good, though I cant for the life of me remember the name.

20. RabidYak

Worth noting that those are remakes of the first two Dalek stories and not relavent to the series, even if they are a good laugth.

WTF at The Doctor as regular human scientist who built the Tardis in his shed.

Sounds like Death to the Daleks.