New Douchebaggery Alert

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Snake_eyes1975, Jun 5, 2011.

?

Have you seen this yet?

1. YES! douchbags around here too

68 vote(s)
    65.4%
  2. NO! people in my area are ALL honest angels

36 vote(s)
    34.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
  2. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    That's not really stealing as he did pay for the item first, then returned it to get his money back. What he's actually doing is.....he's being a "dick" to the stores that would put it back on the shelf to let someone else buy an incomplete toy. Or....depending on the store policy, they may have to "destroy" the toy. The store may even lose money on those items. But what does he care, he got what he wanted. *rolls eyes*..........

*edit*

If the store employees would actually check the stock before accepting the return, then this guy wouldn't have been able to pull this off......

3. jerminator

jerminator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    With that logic, he should not have gotten a FULL refund when returning. Should have gotten a partial one instead. It's still stealing. Taking something for free through deceptive measures.

4. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

This kind of thing doesn't really happen in the UK (or at least in my experience). However, we do obviously have scalpers like everywhere else. In fact, one of the most notorious scalpers is an active member of this very forum. He knows who he is, everyone else in the UK knows who he is...I just don't think he knows that we know who he is!

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Meep

News Credits:
    Yes, it is theft. When returned, he needed to return the entirety of the product.

6. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's straight up stealing, no other way about it. And just because you aren't caught doesn't make it not stealing.

I want to say "effing kids" but this dude looks like an adult. Sigh.

7. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    Thankfully I haven't seen it in my area *knock on wood* but I can't believe some people. It makes you lose a bit of hope for the human race, ya'know?

8. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

It's not theft. He bought it, paid with money, and thus owns it outright. He returned it knowingly missing parts. That's fraud. But the real douche move is not breaking them. So that they get thrown in the trash compacter, rather than sold to a kid.

9. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Never seen this before in the UK. In fact, I've never seen a stole toy before, so I guess that's good?
    I don't know who he is! :( 

10. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    That is still theft in my mind... It's still the wrong thing.

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    So what, nobody cares that I found a Voyager Optimus Prime without a mech tech weapon or a head?

12. TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    And this is why I usually buy online.

13. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    Not really.

Just kidding, but who would steal the head? :eek:  I guess more people care about a guy admitting being a thief/fraud.

14. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:

Theft, fraud, douche, whatever the label is, its wrong.

For me, this annoys me because the action is already wrong. I think everyone can agree to that. However, it just adds to the issue when the person thinks its justified.

15. Dark Skull

News Credits:

*sigh* Really? You want to argue semantics? Ok. Fine.

Stealing | Define Stealing at Dictionary.com

Steal | Define Steal at Dictionary.com

Theft | Define Theft at Dictionary.com

Larceny | Define Larceny at Dictionary.com

Ok....so let's take a look at those definitions....and compare it to what that guy did? Shall we?

Ok so the definition of the word stealing...that's pretty straight forward. But the technical aspect that everyone wants to argue will fall under "theft" and larceny", so lets focus on that. But I'm going to requote here for posterity

Under the definition of stealing....was he trying to hide the fact that he took an item from the toy? No. In fact, there was nothing subtle about it. He even admitted to it defiantly like the jerk he may be. Yet it still does not remove the fact that he initially paid for it and then returned the item in a dishonest fashion. Did he steal? No. Was he being a dick? Yes! Was his actions wrong by any moral standard? HELL YES. If you want to still argue, then let's revisit the definition of theft:

"the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods or property of another;"

At the time when he removed the mech tech weapon, the prime was HIS! HIS!!!! IT WAS IN HIS POSSESSION!!!!!!! Technically...at that time...HE BOUGHT IT. How hard is that to understand? And even then, if you want to get technical, did he NEED someone's permission to take the mech tech weapon? Show me where it states that permission is required. As long as at the time, the toy was bought and paid for, it is his right to DO with the toy whatever he wishes.

Did he "win insidiously". Win what? What did he win? What was he competing against? Which...goes to the next one. Ok so lets look at "insidiously". Which is basically "stealthily treacherous or deceitful". There was NOTHING "stealthily" about his actions. Most retail employees at Walmart/ Target don't even bother checking. That.....is a totally different topic.

"operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect: an insidious disease." Well....obviously the store doesn't care and a loss of 4 toys.....its really not a grave effect.....but...maybe if it were you and me who took the loss.......in this case...its the store...and no. Not even a dent in their budget. Hmmm...nope not insidious. And not even subtle or by chance.

Yes, this I agree with you on. But would you not say the store employee also has some responsibility to ensure that the full and entire product was being returned? You wouldn't expect to get away with returning a blu-ray player without its remote would you? Or perhaps a blu ray case without the disc? Bad example? Probably. Technically this guy committed an act of deception. He lied. He cheated the system. Did he steal? By technical definition, he did not. But because everyone's moral standards would indicate that his actions is morally wrong, and that he is causing the store to lose money on the potential sale of said item, people think....and associate it with theft.

This doesn't even fit under larceny BECAUSE:

"the wrongful taking and carrying away of the personal goods of another from his or her possession with intent to convert them to the taker's own use. "

The guy paid for the toy. He didn't keep it, and yes he returned it, but at the time of the toy being in his possession, he paid for it first. Simple...technicality.

I even thought of this next word:

Embezzle:

Embezzled | Define Embezzled at Dictionary.com

But dammit..once you buy something...a store doesn't care. So it can't be that either. Hmmmmm.....but it is fraudulent.....

No its not. It WOULD be stealing if he were taking the weapon out while the product was STILL in the store, and BEFORE he paid for it. What he committed was an act of fraud. Plain and simple. And if I were the store employee looking at that, I wouldn't even give him a partial refund. I'd tell him to take the toy home and come back with the complete product or keep it and deal with the purchase he made.

You want to say he stole? Ok, show me where he left the store with the product without paying for it. Show me where this was taken from the store without the store acknowledging that the item now (at the time) belonged to him. You can't can you? All you have is the fact that he returned an incomplete product back to the store. That's all you have. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Now don't get me wrong here. I'm not arguing in defense of this guy. But clarifying that its NOT technically stealing. Do I condone what he did? No. I don't even condone his freaking attitude he takes about it. Its like he's proud to create whatever joy in collecting he can at the expense of others. That to me, falls more in line with being a cocksucker than anything else. Just my opinion. No offense meant by it.

16. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    THANK YOU!

If that is your opinion then that's fine. And yes.... you're right nonetheless, it is WRONG.

17. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

18. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  19. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    I can see some who strongly oppose his actions and some who vehemently with gusto provide justification for his actions.
    All I can say let his conscious be clear for his actions whether he thinks it is right or wrong.
    But without going all technical and detailing multiple definitions, I can say is this is morally wrong. This is at least where I am standing.

I agree with snake_eyes1975. Wrong is wrong.

20. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Exactly. There should be no debate over the fact that this is theft. It's like buying a DVd from the store and then just returning the case. Part of an item is not the whole item. Sounds obvious but some people clearly having trouble comprehending this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.