New Digimon

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Crown_Athlete, Jul 15, 2010.

1. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I got an e-mail from AmiAmi earlier this week wehn I asked about combining orders saying they're expecting D-Arts to come in sometime tomorrow, get your wallets ready!

2. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Just finished up with Reboot Omegamon. Omegamon is the Jogress Evolution (DNA Digivolution in the US series) form of Taichi's Wargreymon and Yamato's Metal Garurumon. It made its big debut in the movie 'Our War Game' which was combined with two other movies for American broadcast. Omegamon didnt make another proper appearance until the Movie Digimon X Evolution wherein he got a upgrade into Omegamon X.

[​IMG]

Well he LOOKS like Omegamon. Much more technolized (is that a word?) but its NOT Omegamon X. The semi shiny/ semi translucent orange used for his Wargreymon arm looks nice. Also nice touch having shiny stickers underneath a translucent red piece on his shoulder shield. It looks really nice.

As one can imagine he has a lot of articulation. He has six in his chest, six in each arm and eight in each leg. He also has 3 in his cape. Thats 37 in all! Most poseable Digimon figure to date? Probably. He can get into a lot of poses thats for sure.

[​IMG]

One flaw is that because of hip design, the posts for his hips are REALLY short meaning his legs like to come off during posing.

[​IMG]

Like Omegamons before him, he has two versions of his Garuru cannon. One in its 'dormant state'.

[​IMG]

And one shooting state.

[​IMG]

And what would Omegamon be without his trusty Grey Sword? I'm a bit disappointed its molded in white and requires stickers to make it chrome coloured.

[​IMG]

His 'cape' is split into 3 parts.

[​IMG]

'I am batman'.

[​IMG]

Amazingly he can actually do a crouched pose because of his awesomely jointed toes.

[​IMG]

Classic cape in the wind pose. Note thats the most his shoulders will move upwards. Its quite restricted.

[​IMG]

Two more poses for your enjoyment. The cape can get in the way but thanks to Bandai's ingenius double jointed shoulders (backwards and forwards), he can get aroundthat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And thats that. I know the redesign is not for everyone but I like it. Its articulation is great (although the shoulders are really limited). Its a nice 1/100 scale (in Gundam terms) sized model kit. Cant wait for Dukemon :) .

3. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Finally got around to building my Omegamon. Pretty good kit. Lots of ABS plastic in the joints, which is good. Although I do wish the presentation had skewed just a tad more towards MG Figuerise, as opposed to a standard 1/100 kit. The hollow horns on the Greymon arm are a bit off-putting, and the white plastic versus chrome blade kinda sucks. Articulation's great though, and the design itself is slick.

And Roanstalker, about the hips: if you haven't figured it out yet, press them into place very firmly. I was getting a little frustrated with them, because as you said, they liked to pop off really easily during posing. Even when it was just standing there, the kit's own weight would sometimes force a leg from its socket. But I gave them another look over, and I noticed that the hip pegs weren't even reaching halfway through the pelvis. So I gave them an extra firm push and *snap*, in popped the leg, super solidly. And then *pop*, in went the other leg. Nice and tight hip joints now, and they don't pop out at all.

4. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Oooooh, I like that. Really like the more technical look. How much do those kits go for?

Also, and this is a bit off topic, am I the only one who prefers the dub attack names over the japanese names? For some reason "Supreme Cannon" and "Trancendant Sword" just carry so much more of a punch to them.

5. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Officially, the price is something like 3600 Yen. But the three major Japanese import stores (HLJ, Hobby Search, Amiami) all offer around 20% standard discount, or more, so the cost is about 3000 Yen plus shipping. About $40-ish.

The completed kit is comparable to the average 1/100 Gundam in size, roughly 8 inches tall.

And yeah, the dub weapon names are definitely better in this case. Well, Supreme Cannon doesn't quite feel right to me, but it's still better than Garuru Cannon. Transcendent Sword, meanwhile, is epic.

6. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Indeed. I was just using the japanese names since I already started. And yeh I did click them in (in the end) :) .

7. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, I prefer the dub names as well(I feel like I'm the only one who calls him Omnimon sometimes). Maybe it's becuase I grew up with them and didn't learn the japanese names until year later, but the dub names are where my preferences lie.

8. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    I used to use the dub names too but lately since I've watched the Japanese ones more I got used to using them.

9. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    The naming conventions have some hits and some misses on either side of the ocean.

For example, "Beelzemon" has a much better flow to it than "Beelzemon". But likewise, "Dukemon" flows better than "Gallantmon" (although it's interesting the X-Evolution uses Gallantmon-X, rather than Dukemon-X). Dukemon's "Final Elysian" became the rather bland "Shield of the Just", but Beelzebumon Blast Mode's rather generically evil "Death Slinger" and "Chaos Flare" became the much cooler "Corona Blaster" and "Corona Destroyer". I much prefer "Kazemon" and "Zephyrmon" to "Fairymon" and "Shutumon", but then Takuya took a hit, with "Agunimon" and "EmperorGreymon" rather than "Agnimon" (although that one's just a case of stressing the "U" sound where it shouldn't have been) and "KaiserGreymon".

Lots of ups and downs.

10. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Name changes don't really bother me that much. 90% of the time the names we get are close enough to the original.

But then of course sometimes we get crap like the "Citramon" fiasco.

11. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    You sure Dukemon got changed to Gallantmon X? I recall he was still Dukemon.

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Only thing I'll disagree with there is "Shield of the Just". Anything but bland.

Other awesome attacks:

Desperado Blaster
    Positron Laser
    Fist of the Beast King
    Web Wrecker
    Cable Crusher

......damnit, now I want a new Imperialdramon and Diaboromon.....or Diablomon I believe his japanese name was.

13. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Okay, not entirely sure about that. But I remember a point when Google searches turned up nothing for Dukemon-X, and everything for Gallantmon-X, and it seemed that every "Digimon Encyclopedia" was listing him under Gallantmon-X. *shrug*

Okay, I'll concede that "Shield of the Just" isn't necessarily bland. It's certainly evocative of the "crusading knight" image that Gallantmon conveys. But it's still less cool than "Final Elysian".

In general, for a mon-type series, Digimon just has awesome attacks and weapons all around. "Dragonfire Crossbow" is still one of the most epic things ever.

Amusingly, you can pretty much make a drinking game for whenever the dub messes around with MetalGarurumon's attacks. At the very least, there's Ice Wolf Claw, Ice Wolf Fang, and Ice Wolf Bite, all seemingly used interchangeably. Claw will be his freeze breath in one episode, and his missile barrage the next. I only remember Bite in the Movie, and that was his freeze breath again. He probably has the most inconsistent attack name scheme of the entire series. There've been other name-swaps intermittently, but for MetalGarurumon, it almost seemed like a running gag.

Although, my favourite attack name ever doesn't come from Digimon, but rather the second season of Nanoha, with Chrono's deep-freeze spell "Eternal Coffin". Then there's "Photon Lancer: Genocide Shift" for the "oh, shit" factor (but unfortunately gets some minus points for not being said by Kevin J. England's awesome Bardiche voice).

14. Matrixbeast

Matrixbeast Here comes a thought

Ebay:
    I loved those attack names.
    And Diaboromon would be bitchin to get.

15. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Fist of the Beast King is just a translation of the japanese attack Juuohken. Just a FYI.

Well unfortunately way back when Digimon was all the rage we only got complete series of season 1 and 2 on terrestial TV so I never watched the later Season 3 or any of Season 4 so I'm not really that attached to the american naming conventions for those series.