Heavy/Scratch: new Devastator Work in Progress

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by SMOG, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I'm not sure if this is a "work in progress" or a "preparation for work"... but here's the first mock up of my planned Devastator kitbash.

I've been thinking about this one for a very long time. Of course it's hardly anything to compare to Ptitvite's amazing Devastator build... hopefully it won't be too anti-climactic by the time I finish this. :) 

When Ptitvite unveiled his Devy in progress, a lot of his ideas were similar to my own, but I definitely took a page from his book when I decided to make the hips and upper legs into a separate chunk.

Nothing's actually altered at this stage... he's held together with twist-ties and bad intentions. It really is remarkable how much weight those legs have to support once you get everything piled up there. Structural integrity is going to have to be a big priority.

I realize that G1 Devastator head is pretty small, though at the moment, I kind of like his teeny-tiny head... makes him seem more huge and thuggish. :)  But by the time I'm done, I may decide he needs a bigger dome.

EDIT: I have to admit, I have a soft spot for his pre-painting rainbow colours. I'll blame it on the fact that as a kid, my first Devastator was the KO Diaclone Construction Robo version, who was all red, yellow and blue. :) 

What do you think, y'all? :) 

zmog

Attached Files:

2. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

Hands from RID Prime!
    Forearms for RID Ultra Magnus!
    Upper legs from G1 Metroplex!
    Cement mixer from Toys R US
    Am I right?

He's gonna look good!!!! I don't think the head is too small...like you said, he's looks more muscular!
    lol, it does make alot of weight to support does'nt it!
    I'm surprised that Mudflap does'nt seem too big compared to the other cons!
    Anyways, great going!!

Edit:BTW, thanks for the kind words about my work! Yours looks like he's gonna be badass too!

You quoted:Of course it's hardly anything to compare to Ptitvite's amazing Devastator build

Some people will prefer yours! I can't please everybody... It's just a matter of opinion so don't bring your project down by comparing it to anybody's work.
    It's your own version and it belongs to you to make look like you want it to.

3. StarFire_MK2

StarFire_MK2 'Till All are One! TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I like it, but definitely find a head to the proper scale. These sort of projects are cool--I've thought about making Superion like this, but just don't have the time. Keep us updated!

4. SMOG

Thanks dude!

-The hands are actually the reverse hands on RID Magnus, for forming Omega Prime. But they look just like RID Prime's hands.
    -The cement mixer is from a Tonka toy I picked up at Value Village for a buck.It died for a good cause... it actually looks great on FAB Optimus in vehicle mode. Really looks like a cement truck!
    -The legs are indeed the old, battered,very yellow legs from my childhood Metroplex... or rather, my brother's Metroplex... muhahahahahaaa!)

The nice thing about the legs and the RID Magnus forearms is they have those wheels on them. Together, they make a little drone hauler for the Constructicons, so they won't have to tote around their combiner parts everywhere with them. :)  I'm not the first basher to use that idea, but I'm very happy with the way it looks (I'll have pics eventually).

Mudflap looks alright as the shoulders doesn't he? I was actually surprised that Hightower wasn't too small for your Devastator (who I think is bigger than this one will be), but yours has a taller, leaner look.

However, Mudflap will end up looking bigger than the other Constructicons in robot mode unfortunately. Beyond new heads and some paint, the only other big mod I'm planning for the robot modes are some foot extensions for Bonecrusher to make him taller.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, man! :) 

zmog

5. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    my concern is using the movie toy for quickmix. his robot aesthetic is nothing like the rest of the who're all blocky and will look out of place.

6. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

If you do pull this off, it is gonna look sick.

7. SMOG

I find that FAB Optimus still has a pretty G1 look... he's much blockier than the other Movie versions of Prime, though nowhere near as boxy as G1 Mixmaster! :) 

I may make a few changes to the way he transforms actually (notably the arms and shoulders), and I'll definitely be replacing his head. Hopefully once he's painted and has the mixer attached to him, he won't stand out too much next to the others...

zmog

8. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

damn. how big is that thing? i love how the head is small. it gives him bulk. :D 

9. SMOG

About 13 inches at the moment. He may lose or gain an inch once I figure out the permanent attachments for his waist and legs. He's not quite as big as Energon Omega Supreme, but close enough to make it a good fight. :) 

Thanks for the small-head appreciation. It certainly makes him look like a tank. Before I'm done, I should audition a larger head and see which I like best, but for now, mini-head Devvy seems suitable.

zmog

10. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    yes! so awesome to see another one. Mine's pretty much a wanna-be ptitvates, but these are so fun to make, it's a compliment to make one like his...

11. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Looks ok except for the chest plate - it looks small and out of place.

12. SMOG

You may be right about that. I guess it could look a little bit like some kind of giant bow tie. :) 

I might try building a larger version of his chest shield, but I've gotta figure out some of the big things first.

zmog

13. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    sweet

14. Ice_T

Ice_T Well-Known Member

That's gonna be awesome! I agree with you about the head, it may be small, but it makes him look jacked.
    LOL @ the bow tie comment..

15. Teflonknight

Teflonknight Duck, I have a Boom Canon

I really think that you should keep the small head. It really works well with his bulk. It looks like it is going to be an awesome project.