New Daily Driver: Honda Fit or Subaru Impreza (base)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Socialvegetable, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    So my poor old '96 Firebird is in dire need of some TLC, and abusing it as my daily driver is wearing the car and I out. Last week the drive's side door handle (exterior) broke, so I'd have to leave my window down or go around through the passenger side and open it from the inside. This week the lock jammed up, and now I have to climb through the car to enter. Add to that a bad rear axle, necessary engine and transmission rebuilds, and other much-needed repairs, and it's clear that I need a new daily driver so I can garage my Firebird and restore it.

Ok, so with that out of the way comes the point of my post. My work has a partnership with Subaru, so that we can purchase cars at the invoice price, through their VIP program. Despite having good, stable jobs, my wife and I can't afford much for another car, So I've been looking at the base model Impreza (hatchback configuration). It's a pretty dull-looking car inside and out, but it's got AWD which will be useful in my commute, which involves steep inclines/declines, plenty of sharp curves, and snow/ice during the winter.

The other option (if you couldn't tell by the title of the post) is a Honda Fit. It's cheaper than the Impreza (even in Sport trim) gets better gas mileage, has a nicer interior (according to reviews) and is supposed to be pretty fun to drive. I also think the style is a little more attractive (I like the sharp edgy lines).

So the Impreza will cost me a little more, but is a more "mature" car and seems to be a decent overall value. The Fit is a little cheaper and sportier (if only in appearance) but has that "first car" look.

Does anyone currently own either an '08 or '09/10 Fit, or an '08-'10 Impreza 2.5i? Thoughts? Things you like or dislike? I plan on test driving both cars this weekend, so I’d like to be on the lookout for any issues you may have.

Also, If anyone else has any suggestions for new cars around or under $17k, I'd like to hear them. I've got no intention of buying a Kia, Suzuki, or Hyundai, so that severely limits my options. The Nissan Versa is cheap and economical, but also lacks any of the fun that the Fit promises. I'm expecting Newguy to suggest the VW Rabbit if he sees this post. I've considered the Rabbit, but it's a bit overpriced for what I need.

Help?

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    Subaru. buy it. love it. and I hear there very reliable and for the conditions you go through AWD would definitely come in handy

and if you ever get the urge you could always tune it up

3. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

Between the two, I'm more of the Subaru guy. But I did rented a Versa and it was nice and Cheap. But it didn't climb hills as well as my car, had to increase the RPMs. Can the Fit climb hills?

I you going to use it as a Daily Driver, not for fun, go Fit or Versa. But If you are looking for a fun Daily Driver and possible a nice project car go Subaru.

It's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

4. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I've yet to drive the Fit, but I've read that it's pretty peppy thanks to the revised engine with variable timing. Still, you raise a good point...my commute involves a hill that might as well be Kilimanjaro.

My Firebird is already too much project car for me to handle, so this 2nd car would be strictly for mundane driving, while my Firebird takes care of my sporting needs.

5. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:
    Based on those two and on what you needing your car to do I would say go with the Impreza I have own three and there pretty reliable cars decent gas mileage and some what sporty. The fit is a great city car but I can't see it doing what you want it to do and make you feel secure in doing it. Another option would be the Lancer the redesign looks good and Mitsu. will make you a decent deal on one.

Unless you totally hung up on Firebird I would consider selling it and getting into a WRX, Gti, or a Lancer Ralliart all are turbocharged and really fun to drive with performance equal to or better than your Firebird and cheap to make faster.

6. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Buy the Impreza..........it will come in handy during the winter months.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    as someone who has a wrx, although a 2002 one, I'd have to say go with the fit. yes, I know you just want the base impreza, but I'm also a car enthusiast and stay up to date with car reviews and the like. the honda fit has won tons of awards/comparison tests, and is known to be a great, fun, economical, and sporty car, with TONS of room in it once you drop the back seats. you may have a big hill as part of your commute, but having to rev the subie up it is going to make your mpg plummet, whereas you can just rev up the little honda engine and end up still with 50% better economy. I have been for a ride in a new impreza, and their interiors are really nice, especially if you get one with a tan interior.

8. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    *edit* wow, I've never had a double post happen!

9. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I consider myself an enthusiast, too, and the rave reviews are the reason I'm considering the Fit. Base Impreza is decent, but it's no WRX, and I think that's what most think of when they hear "Impreza." If I had the means, I'd love to get the STi, but I don't, and I'm just looking for a reasonably fun, efficient commuter. Thanks.

You're right about the Fit as a city car, but that's a good thing for me, as I actually do a decent amount of traveling into Philly aside from my daily commute. It's also got high safety ratings for its class, so I'm not too worried about that. Have any of your Imprezas been the base model, because the WRX isn't really comparable to the Fit.

Also, the Firebird isn't going anywhere. I love the car, and it's been a dream of mine to rebuild it, so I'm getting started. Also, even if I traded my Firebird in, I couldn't even almost afford an Impreza STi or comparable car.

10. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

News Credits:
    if you ever decide to get one, don't forget, the new wrx is actually faster than the sti, yet 7k cheaper!

11. Cascadia

Cascadia Mt. St. Hilary

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go with the Subaru. I am currently on my 2nd Subie and I love driving it. They are reliable and do not quit running. My first one was a 2000 Outback wagon limited and I had it for 9 years and I never had any problems with it mechanically. My current one is a 2008 Legacy 2.5GT Even though I have had it for 1 year, still no mechanical issues.

WRX vs. STI, my neighbor has a STI and he is not very thrilled with it...insurance wise and gas mileage wise. I test drove a WRX before I got my Legacy. I loved driving it except for one problem (high insurance rate). The STI has more horsepower than the WRX.

If you want an Impreza (base model), they are good little cars and not expensive to insure or run because it is not a sports car like the WRX or the STI.

The Fit is a good daily driving car. So, I recommend trying out the Impreza (base model) and the Fit to see which one you truly like and are comfortable driving.

12. Max-prime

Max-prime Supreme-Commander

News Credits:

My first one was a 2.5 RS. Another thing that you might want to take into consideration is the Impreza base has 170 ft/lb of torque where as the Fit only has about 106 ft/lb. That will make alot of difference in day to day driving as well. My friend has a Fit and I like it when your driving it alone and nothing in it but once you start adding passengers/weight it starts feeling really underpowered.

13. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I have an 08 Fit Sport and I fucking love it. Everything I need from a car. Fits a ton of stuff inside like my larger paintings and sculptures and materials

14. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    If I do go with the Fit, I think I'm going to try to swing the Sport trim. The added trim and features are pretty attractive. Someone at my work has an '09 Fit Sport, and I just gawked at it in the parking lot on my way back from lunch.

15. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Good idea, it's a fun car. I prefer the looks of the 08 myself though :cool: 

16. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    I'd say go for the Impreza but that's because I've been driving a 2002 WRX for the past 6 years.

Although I will be trading that or my wife's car in for the third generation Prius soon.

17. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

I have an 09 Versa 1.8SL and can say that it is a relatively fun car as well. The interior is extremely roomy, the CVT transmission paired with the 1.8 liter engine gives it plenty of get-up-and go, (around 140 hp, I think) and it handles pretty well to boot. Only thing I don't like too much goes back to the steering which feels a little too effortless to me (very artificial feeling).

Other than that, a really nice car.

I know you weren't REALLY considering the Versa, but I just thought that I'd throw that out there for ya!

18. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  19. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I know. Every time I look at that car, it looks like its smiling or laughing.

Stop laughing!!!:crazy: 

20. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    Well, thanks everyone for your comments and insight. I test drove a Fit this weekend and bought a White '09 Sport. Its a great little car, is quick, agile, and the interior fit and finish is excellent for its class.

Anyway, a few pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]