Customs: New Custom Parts/Figure manufacturing option?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by Bruticus82, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

So as I was wandering the internets, I came along this site:
    Patch Together

They appear to make custom resin figures, and appear to be of pretty decent quality. The majority of their figures are miscellaneous kind of cartoony things, but they also seem capable of more detail (as seen here: Patch Together).

Their business model seems to be you submit a design, get enough votes/interest, and then they'll put it up for preorder, and once they have enough preorders they begin production and shipping, and split the profit between the designer and the company. They also apparently do custom orders.

So of course I immediately wondered if they could make custom parts or accessories, or maybe even whole custom transformers. Some of their figures seem capable of articulation, and some of the figures up for voting are more traditional action figures, with 6 swivel joints, weapon accessories, etc. So it seems they would at least be capable of making those types of things in theory. (See here for example: Patch Together)

Not that I have anything in particular I would like to see made, but I know there have been some custom resin kits sold in the past (HOS Optimus Prime I think) and I thought I should bring this up so that interested parties can do some further research.

2. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    FAQ:

The only downside would be that THEY seem to be the ones voting for things and if they aren't fans of Transformers, odds are they wouldn't vote it the winner.

Terms of Submission:

I'm guessing it wouldn't work. Then again, maybe someone could ask them or talk to them about it. I don't think it would be worth the time put into it, if they are just going to vote to see if it's worthwhile or not. That's just my opinion.

3. Bruticus82

Bruticus82 Well-Known Member

Well they select the winner, but the criteria they use to select the winner is member participation, voting, page hits, etc. So it's not arbitrary according to that FAQ. In that case if we knew someone from radicons had a design up there we could register and vote, provide feedback, and buy the preorders.

Their main page also advertises that they do custom orders, which would presumably be more expensive but bypass the whole voting process.

*shrugs* Just thought people might be interested, but if it's not a good deal than I agree.