New competitors in the Console market

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Fonecrusher, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

Since this generation of consoles began we've had rumours of SEGA launching a new console and also more recently Apple as well, now in the current market climate with the Big 3 holding a monopoly on the console gaming market, do you think this is really possible? Could a new console actually stand on it's own in the market? Would the console market become oversaturated? Hell is it oversaturated right now?

Fan speculation has been rife in the past with Sega, first when they patented the "Dreamcast 2" and then more recently the "RingEdge and RingWide" names. Nothing ever came of the D2 and the Ring systems turned out to be simple arcade boards. But where there is smoke there is fire, and SEGA has also patented control pads in the past which belong to no console we've ever seen.
    Controller and expansion unit for ... - Google Patents
    That at least says to me they have at least tinkered around with the idea.

Sega still have a staple of great franchises under their belt like Sonic, Shenmue, Virtua Fighter, Skies of Arcadia, Shinobi, Phantasy Star, Sakura Wars, House of the Dead, Jetset Radio, Aliens, Yakuza and Valkyria Chronicles to call upon. All of which would provide a steady software presence for a potential new console.

Still the chances don't look all that great, Sega aren't the powerhouse they once were and I doubt they have financial backing to return to the console market. Especially since any new console you would have to presume would operate on a loss or best case scenario breakeven first time around.

If Sega are a long shot, Apple are a much more realist potential entry. They have the technology, the financial power, the loyal customer base and the marketing know-how. They would also have a potential for cross connectivity that Nitnendo and Sony could only dream of. With the ongoing success of Apple TV and the iPad 2 many analysts say it is only a matter of time before Apple makes a play for a stake in the console market...

What do you guys think? I gotta say as an old school gamer who grew up in the Megadrive era, if Sega got back in the ring I would definitely have a serious look at anything new they came up with. Apple I think would probably go more of the Wii/Nintendo route and be more about entertainment than serious gaming. But the chance to play Infinity Blade 2 on my iPad 2 when I'm out and then go home and continue playing in full HD 1080p on my widescreen TV would be pretty awesome!

It's probably too late for this generation, the Big 3 are already to deeply entrenched for a new competitor to enter and gain some decent market share. But the next? Maybe the PS4 and X720 will have a couple extra competitors to consider.

2. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I hope Apple make a console.

3. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think if Apple make a serious bid to make a TV box console I'll have to stab everyone in the eye who like it. Why?

Because if it follows current iWank products

-It'll have an hardware upgrade every year.
    -People will play steadfastly claim its the best, even though the spec only just matches last gen technology.
    -Controllers won't work if you hold them wrong.
    -But crucially (and this point is actually serious I might add) Apple will make the biggest play and step toward download only games through iTunes, and honestly, that scares the crap out of me. And probably every single publisher and retailer.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:

apple is apparently integrating the ipad 2 and the new apple tv devices somewhow so that they work like the wii u is supposed to. Chances are that's as far as they will venture into the realm of consoles for the time being.

5. Fonecrusher

Fonecrusher Megatron wants YOU

You actually make a very valid point, I'm one of those gamers from the old school who loves the tangibles and having the game in hand, flicking through the manual etc. I remember those days of cool 90's box art for SNES and Megadrive games and I actually miss those huge PC game boxes and those thick ass manuals which were more like novels (think Baldur's Gate). I'm already opposed to stuff like Steam enough as it is (although I admit I'm slowly coming around to Steam). So yeah I get exactly where you are coming from, but it's hard to fight the future, nowadays it does seem like everything is becoming digitized.

6. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    I highly doubt Sega will return to the console market, it's way too expensive, even if we don't make a PS2 to PS3 leap(and we won't next gen). Sony lost all the revenue it earned from the PSX and the PS2 thanks to the PS3 plus more, total revenue from SCE was -4 billion dollars or so from 2000-2010 and Sega can't handle such a loss.
    As for Apple they already invaded the gaming market, and Nintendo were the first to notice and are trying to counter with the wiiu. Of course Apple's plan is to dominate via it's cheap apps for now, but I won't be too surprised if they become a serious contender in 6 years or so thanks to the fast advancements in mobile technology.
    I expect the 3DS/Vita to be the last generation of traditional handhelds while traditional consoles to last three more generations.

7. chaddi_90

chaddi_90 Prime

News Credits:
    I hope that apple doesn't make a game console, they have already made one the pinpin.:p 
    I don't want steve jobs to control the game market like he does with every Icrap product out there.

8. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    I would very much like to see a resurgent Sega...and would not touch an Apple console with a bargepole due to reasons stated already.

9. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    God I hope Apple makes a console just to see people lose their shit over it.

10. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

iconsole?

could be cool, but I think Nintendo already covered that area

11. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    I've always been interested in an open source console. A major company would never do it, i don't think, but it'd be a neat experiment. Make it tough enough to emulate other consoles too.

Ah, dubiously legal, technologically improbable pipedreams.

12. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I'm sick of Apple as a company, their arrogance and all their assorted iWank products, so a console from them would do nothing for me.

And this is coming from a guy that works with Macs exclusively both at work and at home.

Besides, if their product prices hold to their usual high standard, their launch console would probably cost $800+ and use a controller as bad as their recent mouse designs. lol

13. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't really call it speculation or rumors of Sega getting back into the console market. More like wishful thinking.

We all want Dreamcast 2, but it isn't going to happen.

14. Starfire22

Starfire22 I am dirty dan!

News Credits:
    If Panasonic can do it with jungle (a portable), then Sega coming back could be possible.

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Dreamcast 2? Pshaw. I want Sega Uranus!

16. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, they announced the cancellation of that back in March.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I'd expect to see somesort of gaming element in a future version of Apple TV, but not a dedicated console.

As for Sega, LOL no. Dudes can't even make an a-list game anymore, let alone several a year and a machine to play them on.

18. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

Nintendo has the casual gaming market when it comes to consoles. Apple probably would try to make a console, but I see nintendo still being dominant in the casual market, which is what I assume apple would go after.