New comics for 01/16/2019

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by ILoveDinobot, Jan 14, 2019 at 3:17 PM.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot That moment when you realize I'm someone's mom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Deathcatg

Deathcatg Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Same here. I'll probably pick that up physically, and get TF Historia on digital in case that isn't carried by my LCBS. I'm a long way from even getting close to reading the entire IDW verse, so might be a fun way to read a summary, and I just like Chris McFeely's stuff that much.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Omegashark18

Omegashark18 Combaticon turned Autobot

News Credits:
    I got nothin. Guess it’s trades!

After looking at the preview of it, definitely worth a look for those not willing to read 13 years of comics!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot That moment when you realize I'm someone's mom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I was thinking about the Historia, but I'm going to check out reviews first. I feel like it's a comic version of tfwiki. I didn't want to drop money on that til I see it fully.

• Like Like x 1
  5. prowl07

prowl07 Well-Known Member

Flash #62
    Wonder Woman #62

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Electric Warriors #3
    Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction Volume 4

I want to get Marvel's new Invaders book because I'm a sucker for an Invaders series, but the premise sounds tired and I hate this stupid Namor redesign. He looks like he was redesigned by a goth junior high girl who likes YA novels about friendly vampires. Yeah, go f yourself, whoever you are.

7. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    What if it’s well written?

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You missed the part where I said it's a tired premise. We've already had Namor vs the surface world 20+ times, and honestly, Namor moved past this decades ago, even without the teenage hearthrob revamp. Plus, has this guy ever written any comics other than Howard the Duck and Jughead? If they at least got Robinson back, that would give me a little more confidence. He has more of an affinity for the Golden Age characters than just about anyone else currently working, and the Invaders series he did a couple years back was pretty good.

9. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    Zdarsky’s most recent work is recently concluded Spectacular Spider-Man run. And he’s going to be writing the next Daredevil comic. Whatever that’s worth.

10. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    He might be great. I just don't have any exposure to him yet.

But right out of the gate, I can tell you that I generally hate event comics. I hate them almost across the board. In the entire history of events dating back to the original Secret Wars and even if you want to go back a couple years more to the first Contest of Champions (if that counts), I can list the events I haven't hated on the fingers of one hand. And one of the very long list of things I hate about events is that so often a character has to be altered or written out of character to make the event plot work. And that's what the current Namor looks like to me. The new look seems as ill-judged as DC's Lobo redesign for the New 52, which thankfully, they've abandoned. And this plot for Namor, as I said, has already been done. It's been done again and again and again going all the way back to May, 1962. And really going all the way back to the Golden Age if you want to count the Timely comics.

So even if Namor had not grown as a character in all those years, which he has, it's already the weakest, most tired cliche to return to this well yet again. And more than that, it doesn't fit his motivations and relationships as defined in the most recent Invaders series from only a couple years ago. So yeah, I call bullshit on Aaron's Avengers revamp of Namor, and I call bullshit on this.

11. Omegashark18

News Credits:
    In my eyes events are as every part of the story to me as the main comics(despite their flaws).

That seems to be a constant reoccurrence throughout his history...

I had no idea this was supposed to be an event. Just like how I had no idea the recent Defenders books were supposed to be the lead up to this.

And you’ve got my curiosity, what are the handful of events you do like?

12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    They're as much a part, but they are invariably the worst part. Look how the IDW events derailed the TF comics, for example. Everybody stop what you're doing to tell this story you don't want to tell, and if it doesn't make sense with where your characters are at, tough shit.

DC One Million is the first one that jumps to mind. Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest, for however little they count. Those ones were helped in that the only characters involved in the events were ones that were dormant a while. And they had great writers. After that, I really don't know. The original Secret Wars was a fun series, although I blame it a bit for starting all this nonsense. Sinestro Corps War was good, although again, it was limited in scope, which helps. Age of Apocalypse was okay, but it also helps that the regular X-books the event was diverting from were not great.

So there you have 5 I like, and AoA which is on the bubble. Pretty much every other event ever is varying levels of garbage, imo. DC's various Crises being particularly egregious. And all of Marvel's recent reduxes-- new Secret Wars, new Civil War, etc. -- are beyond horrible.

Well, wait a minute. I thought Infinity was okay for what it was, although it was regressive for Thanos' character. So 6 1/2?

• Like Like x 1