New combiners; feasible?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by butz, Jul 30, 2006.

1. butz

butz slippery when wet

There always seems to be a pretty big demand in the fandom for combiners/gestalts, and towards the end of Energon, it would seem they were testing the waters with doing 5 member combiners. In order to do these merge teams, it appears certain shortcuts were taken (re-used limb molds, energy claws instead of hands), but nonetheless, we did get 3 different gestalts released. I'm wondering now, with the new movie coming up, and Classics on the horizon (both of which appear devoid of merge teams) where do we stand on getting new combiner teams? Does Hasbro find it feasible to do them? Would they still require taking shortcuts?

Also, while I'm on the subject of combiners, I wanted to throw an idea out there. If they could do another Energon styled combiner (one deluxe figure for the torso, two basic molds which are both repainted for the limbs), what about doing a new Menasor?? We know they recently obtained use of the name (Cybertron Menasor), and unlike say, Bruticus, or Devastator, or Defensor which all had different vehicles for the limbs, wouldn't repainted limb molds be much more forgivable if they were all cars? Perhaps just a semi cab for Motormaster (including the trailer would be pointless, as it would put him way out of scale as a deluxe) and one arm mold (which could be used for Dragstrip and Deadend) and one leg mold (Wildride and Breakdown). so long as they got the colors right, it really wouldn't be such a big deal if it were only 3 new molds for 5 figures.
    Also, I'm thinking if they can have articulated translucent claws that attach for hands, why not make solid colored hands that attach?
    Actually, this kinda brings up another idea- a re-use of the Constructicon Maximus team, but with more G1 Constructicon colors, and a new head that beter resembles Devastator. Just throw in some new, solid colored (purple) hands, in addition to the energon claws that would attach the same way.

Well, I'm really starting to ramble at this point, but let me know your thoughts on the matter.

2. wingblade

wingblade Member

I'd love a new Stunticon combiner! Devastator's cool (can't beat the original gestalt), and I like Superion and Bruticus (though the latter's been done / repainted how many times now?), but we've never gotten a new Menasor gestalt.

It likely won't happen with Classics, but I'd definitely buy new Stunticons if they were made.

3. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I have to say the only way I will ever buy a complete combiner set is if the individual robots are able to transform from vehicle mode to robot mode without looking like ass in either mode.

The robot modes would need to be articulated along the lines of the Alternator/Masterpiece series and the same/near that scale.

And last but not least the combined mode needs to be just as articulated and posable as the individual robots, plus it needs to be sturdy, held together well, and not clunky.

Of course with this setup each individual robot would probably cost $19.99-24.99(USD) which would make this one of the most expensive Transformers around, but would probably be one of the best ever made.

4. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I don't see it happening any time soon. If Classics continue we could have the limbs in the deluxe class and the body in the voyager class. The Constructicons could be released in one wave of deluxe figures, I think there are eight figures (2 each of each mold) per case. In this case the articulation of each figure would be decent and the combined figures could rival Primus in size or at least leader class figures.

5. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    LOVE to see that. I'm in the fan-dork class which wants to see more combiners. I loved the energon ones. especially Bruticus. would love to see Abominus and Defensor too.

6. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Ok. For those that know me, they would know my answer. I would love to have more combiners, new combiners, or homage combiners.

Currenty, I am suprised that Hasbro hasn't made a significant combiner out of minicons (Perceptor doesn't count). They are cheap to make, and allow for more character names to be reclaimed. Just because they would be minicon sized, doesn't mean that they couldn't be full sized in the official fiction. G1 Stunticons were 1/2 the size or less of regular Autobot cars. Yet, in the fiction they were the same size.

For full sized combiners to take place, Hasbro would have to dedicate the size classes to producing more molds. I thought Cybertron Mudflap could have easily been converted into Hotspot (the main component of Defensor).

7. butz

butz slippery when wet

You expect higher standards out of combiner limbs than regular mainline figures??

8. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

An energon-style stunticons would be fantastic.

I don't think the gestalts sold well though.

I don't think kids enjoy hunting pieces like we did in the olden days... also I always saw shitloads of steamhammers... The gestalt ratio of limbs to torsos was off and made pegwarmers.

I would almost rather have all boxed-sets... but we know boxedsets are shelfwarmers too... Primus is gonna be 19.99 soon :) 

9. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    Here's the problems with combiners:

- Do you release it as a set?

If the answer is yes, you better have a retailer set to take it on as an exclusive, as the cost of having up to 5 to 6 toys packaged in one set would not only be expensive for Hasbro to make, but expensive for Target, WalMart, etc., to give up the shelf-space for it.

- Do you release them individually?

Works out better, helps you flesh out a line, but you run in to the problem of distribution (how readily available do you make each limb?) as well as parents who avoid them due to the fact they don't want to have to spend more money to complete the "set" so their kid can make the bigger figure. At the same time, it's a good way to do the same thing for the parents who are willing to.

Hasbro is making the attempt -- Universe Seacons have been in planning for years now, but no retailer wants them. That answers Hasbro's question about combiners, IMHO.

10. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Part of what hurt the Energon combiners is that they were supposed to be at saturation before Christmas, but didn't reach many areas of the country until way after Christmas. Then there was the whole debacle of only having 2 limbs for each set available for months..... How many attention deficit disorder kids could handle that?....

EDIT: As I recall G1 had all of the limbs ready for distribution. They were smaller than Energon limbs, and maybe that's why there were more of them.

11. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One of the huge problems with the Energon combiners were the Wal Mart pallets- you know, the one that had the first wave of limbs and centers? After that, you couldn't find any of the other pieces at Wal Mart, and barely any anyplace else, as they didn't sell the first wave fast enough. I think I ended up trading something (a Target Lava Vader?) to get the last parts for Bruticus. I think the gift set is the way to go, and price it at $35.

-Tony!

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

Distribution really hurt the E-combiners. I wasn't able to complete them at retail, I doubt kids and their parents could, or would, being that it was after Christmas buying season anyways.
    At any rate, I seriously doubt they'd try them with Classics, but I really gotta wonder what we're going get after the movie has had its run.

13. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    All very good points. That's what makes me believe that combiners are a long way off. It could work with Classics since it is a fan line. Also some kids may just buy one limb and be happy, I was when I was younger but that would make it harder to complete a set. Just imagine a classics Predaking or Computron, that would be great. Probably won't happen but who knows, we did get RID and Energon combiners.

14. Kristof

Kristof Well-Known Member

I expect high standards from any figure regardless of where it is from.

And as far as combiners go this boy has set the new gold standard(even though it came out last year).

[​IMG]

http://www.collectiondx.com/node/796

15. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I somewhat disargee, here in NZ, the gestalts sold all incredibly well, espically the limbs. However, distribution also sufferred quite badly here. The first two aerialbots and the last two Combaticons were barely released here....Luckily I got my mum looking for me on her lunch break and she managed to find the first two Aerialbots, and I only managed to get one of the two later Comaticons, had to get a friend to ship me up the last one. Other than that, and a lack of Barricade's, they sold very well.

What I think Hasbro should do, if they consider doing a 5 piece combiner again, is make a shipment of Deluxes with say....3 or 4 units of the gestalt leader, accompanied by a 12 piece Basic/Scout pack containing three units of each combiner limb.

eg Superion:

Deluxe wave:

Hot Rod x1
    Prowl x1
    Starscream x1
    Tracks x1
    Skywarp x1
    Silverbolt x3

Basic wave:

Air Raid x3
    Sky Dive x3
    Fireflight x3
    Slingshot x3

This would help lower the chance of people missing out on toys, even the distribument somewhat. I saw the problems with RiD ruination....everyone got the limbs way too quickly so distribution and excess of some figures messed it up.

16. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Any new combiners should have ALL members released at the same time. Even if two are repaints. It was pretty annoying to know the toys formed a giant robot but not being able to combine him since not all of the team was out. I wasn't going to buy two of the same limbs just to form him so I had to wait months to get the other members.

17. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe the Energon combiners probably would've been better off if there was only two of them, instead of three. Based on what I've seen, they should've dropped the Construction combiner, based on the loads of Duststorms and Steamhammers that clogged clearance shelves for months around here. Perhaps then the resources that went into one deluxe and two basics could've been reshuffled into giving the remaining two combiners at least one all-new limb each. Distribution might have been a little better as well, as there would only be ten combiner toys instead of fifteen to shuttle to the shelves.

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

The energon combiners sucked. Clear plastic...no thank you she said...

As a kid in the eighties, my parents did not have the money to buy me a combiner...if your parents had money in the 80's...chances are that you got/have a combiner...

Fasr forward...if your parents have money...you have ipod, or a cell phone...or hell...i don't know, I ain't a kid...

The market for combiners is small...and engineering such a product costs lots of money....

DEMAND does not equal SUPPLY...blame video games...ya know ya like 'em...

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

If I understand your logic, then its not feasible for Hasbro to make any Transformers at all, let alone combiners.

20. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    I think it is feasable that they will produce cobiners in the future, but one of the problems was that they released 3 different gestalts at the same time. I think there were too many combiner at one time, with poor distribution and the final parts of the combiners arriving during "financial recharge time" after Christmas made it difficult to complete them. I think a Defensor, Menasor and the others done in the way of Energon's combiners would be cool.