3D Artwork: New combiner idea

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by KNOOM842, Nov 8, 2011.

1. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

These will be my frist fully transform able design. Im doing this from the ground up so to speek. Oh yeah this is intented to be a combiner

Attached Files:

2. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    3D artwork, or will this be available via shapeways?

3. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

as of now just 3d artwork but i hope to one day get it on shapways.

4. MoonBaseTom

MoonBaseTom Inventor of Mac'n Cheese

Ebay:
    Thats cool, what program are you using?

5. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Thanks 3DS Max

6. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Unless you just want to put a statue on Shapeways, your best bet would be to start designing it as an actual transformer with working parts now. You can get a student version of Autodesk Inventor from Autodesk's website, even if you're not a student.

Modelling in Inventor is a bit cumbersome at first if you're used to the "freeformity" of Max, but the precision it offers is worth it. It'll become natural in a short amount of time.

7. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

I had worked on the bodies a lil last week at school but its in 2012 and i have 2011(thats starting to mess up a lot with missing root elements) so i can do a jpeg just yet. But heres something i did last night my frist TF face it no where near done

Attached Files:

8. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    In Max, to do blocky things like a TF's face, don't do it all as one mesh. Have multiple meshes in your edit poly. Drag things around and have them clip together. It'll make the modelling easier and you'll most likely end up with less weird geometry that's hard to clean up because other geometry is dependent on it.

9. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Considering I'm the only guy who's designed and printed a fully working combiner through Shapeways (see: Chibi-Devs), I figured I better chime in here.

Certainly take Yuyuyami's advice, as he's a good designer, judging by his wheelie. That, and new program's are always nice (I have to wait until next year when I'm enrolled in uni, then I plan to nab Autodesk's stuff as well).

My advice is to work from the ground up. That is to say, work from one robot, it's legs to its body to its arms and head. That robot should be made very generically. As you can see in Devs, all six Chibi-Structicons use the same base robot, as it makes combining far easier.

Secondly, try to minimise weight and articulation. That's not to say build a statue, but for Devs, there's an upper arm swivel that I had to glue together, as the weight of the arm just made it fall off. Wherever you don't need to have articulation, probably best to remove it. At least until you get used to how weight is distributed in combiners (I kitbashed Fallen's Force, Menasor and Dash Predaking before tackling Devs), best not to chance it with too many joints.

The rest is up to you, and I wish you the best of luck. I agree with Yuyuyami that it would be best to design it as if it were to be printed, as there's little benefit in not doing the engineering now and leaving yourself more work later.

10. KNOOM842

KNOOM842 Ultra Con

Thank you and when i go on thankgiving break next week & I'll download that program that Yuyuyami was talking bout.Heres another head im working on.

Attached Files:

11. MisterFanwank

News Credits:
    Everything on it looks just a bit too soft. There's not really much definition. It might just be the lighting, though.