New College Students

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ravenxl7, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Hey all. I'll be starting my first year of college this fall. I'm going to Stark State here in Ohio. Some of you may have heard of it, though there are probably more people who've heard of Kent State which is right next to Stark State. I will be majoring in Video Production, and minoring in Psychology. Here's some info on my major if anyone's curious. So, what majors are my fellow new college student's taking?

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I am taking Management Economics & Industry Financing at the University of Guelph.

3. 80Datsun210

80Datsun210 Well-Known Member

Congratulations, Ravenx17! First year of college...very exciting! When I was in college, my major was Psychology, emphasis on cognition and language acquisition. Video production sounds fun. Good luck to you!

I'm going back to school after being out of it for about a year and a half. I've been getting departmental e-mails and all the regular stuff about insurance, tuition billing, registering for classes, meeting with my advisor, planning my future, yadayadayada...I'm excited but quite frankly I am also freaking out :eek:  about the work load, responsibility, etc. I'm in a new city, new school, new people...

Oh, my major is Applied Linguistics and Technology. I'm a first-year Ph.D. student. Did I mention I'm freaking out? This is my last week of true summer freedom, orientation and training start next week. :eek: 

4. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Thanks. If everything goes ok, I plan on moving clear out to California and working for WB. I also plan to work my way up to becoming a movie Director or Producer. The good thing is that I went to the WCSCC for the last 2 years of High Shcool (Wayne County School Career Center). This has helped me get a head start on College. I've already got a couple movie ideas buzzing in my head, lol. I'm sorta freaking out. Not as bad as I thought I would, but, it's still a bit stressfull.

5. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm a "new" student with an caveat.

See, I already have a BS in marketing, and I work full time. However, I'm going back to school at night (actually just started in the third Summer Session a couple of weeks ago) majoring in Accounting & Professional Services at University of Southern Indiana with the intent of getting a second bachelor's degree, at which point I intend to sit for the CPA exam and become a certified public accountant. I may pursue a Master's in accounting after that, but I'm not sure if it will really make any difference since I'll already have the CPA. Any accountants (drippy? You still around?) feel free to chime in on that note.

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Can we still participate in this thread if we're like... 4th or 5th year?

7. drippy

drippy is a freethinker.

Masters in accounting? If you've got the CPA, I wouldn't bother.

That being said, a masters degree in something else, say taxation, would be worth the time, effort and cost of going through the program.

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Yeah, by all means go ahead. I was just mainly looking for new students like myself to see what they were going to be taking, though those who are current college students can post if they want to (any advice would be helpfull, lol).

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Or 6th?

At a community college.

10. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Physics honours here. Busy as shit at the moment. My advice to "college noobs" - the first year should be a breeze so don't worry about it.

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

First year of clinicals for my grad school. Really, really, really pumped. Needed to go back to school to move up in the world and I accept that, but it doesn't mean I had to enjoy the last year of being back in a classroom environment. Especially one that was Monday through Friday, 9 to 4 or 5.

Clinicals might still be school, but at least I'll be working with patients again, and I've missed that a lot. Only a year and a third left and I can go back to working. I'd talked about doing my Doctorate's in Public Health before, but I'm spent on school for a few decades after this.

12. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Grad school for me.

I finished a six-week crunched session at the end of June that was brutal. I'm still in recovery.

My company pays every dime of the costs, so I had nothing to lose, right?

So far, I've enjoyed it.

13. anubis

anubis she who lurks in shadows

Congratulations on making it to college. ^_^ hehe, it brings so many memories back.

This is to be my 5th year (yup... I'm taking it slow). hopefully I'll be graduating this comming May. well anyways, my advise.... take it easy but not too easy. hehe, you don't want to get too acustomed to slacking off. once you hit your mid junior year some things may be getting tough. gah, which remindes me of all those evil 20+ research papers that all the proffesors gang up on and decide to make you do them all at the same time. I digress, just enjoy it. I'm pretty sure you'll have lots of fun with all the newly acquired freedom. :D 

14. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That's the way to do it, right? What are you going back for?

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Interestin'. I just started grad school to get a Master's in Accounting m'self. I was a journalism major with a business minor. Accounting was a component of that minor so I'm not flying totally blind.
    UT works differently though. The undergraduate accounting degree does not prep you to take the CPA exam, the master's program does. The undergrad program results in a more general BBA. However, accounting undergrads can opt/compete for the five-year program, where their undergraduate courses bleed into the graduate courses and they get an MPA. The rest of us, split some 60/40 between business/non-business majors, are here via the grueling grad-school application process.
    UT is fond of pointing out that they're the #1 ranked graduate accounting program in the country according to multiple entities who decide such things. I'm kinda amazed I got in to be quite honest, and pretty much live in daily fear that I may have gotten in over my head. Then again, I got an A on my most recent test while "that annoying girl in the front row who gets mad/cries when she gets a B"...got a B.

Also, after working through my undergraduate degree (and for that matter, working constantly since 16), I am now unemployed and am about to receive a very large loan to pay for all this. It is alternatingly awesome and fucking weird not having a job.

16. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was in college. for seven years. fuck that shit.

17. Mr. Jiggles

Mr. Jiggles loves your mother.

No comment...

18. Heat Guy

Heat Guy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll be starting my first year as well. Right now planned major is business, but allure of being a history professor is tempting by getting called 'Dr.' Jones :p 

19. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

The CPA exam requires 150 credit hours. I have something like 130 already from my first degree. While I could have pursued directly to the Master's program, I wouldn't have ended up with enough credit hours to sit for the CPA by the time I'd wrapped it up. Since that was my ultimate goal, my advisor told me my best bet was to just go for the second BS. His advice was to take the CPA exam immediately upon graduation, while the material was still fresh. So, him being the head of the department, I'm taking him at his word that our undergrad program prepares us for the exam. Interesting to hear another perspective.

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I'm sure yours does. UT is the weird one here. You have to have the same in Texas, 150 hours, to take the CPA. But 30 of those have to be in accounting, and most of that has to be upper division. The undergraduate accounting program is more of a mishmash of accounting and finance, with only 21 hours of actual accounting. Undergrads that actually want to be accountants almost have to opt for the 5 year track. Seems kinda lame actually that there isn't a straight-up undergraduate/bachelor's accounting degree.
    But..what the hell do I know. Kooky ass business school. I spent the better part of four years holed up in the Communications building.