Minor/Repaint: New Classics Springer Idea

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Mad_Jester, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

So I've been thinking a lot recently about making a Springer triple changer. I've seen a lot of people talking about using Tankor to come up with something. In the process of attempting the Hot Rod opening cockpit mod I discovered this shape with Classics Rodimus. Since I took these I took off the last yellow fin piece above the window. The hole on top would be great for a propeller. My first thoughts are I'd need to make the thigh section more solid looking. I would need to make the wheels in the back connect. I'd probably want to get rid of the engine and smooth out the hood. Also, as I'm writing this I just pulled out his arms and pinned the wrist parts underneath the door window. I'd also like to take the panels covering the rear wheels and put them underneath the whole body.

Thoughts? Ideas? Anyone?

Thanks.

PS - Oh, by the way, this will be my first attempt at any sort of customizing. Thanks again.

UPDATE: Just added a new pic of what I was talking about. Oh, and what should I do about the front wheels?

Attached Files:

2. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    maybe...but that'd need some heavy heavy modding...go for it...

3. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

that woud need alot of work but I see the shape of the helicopter there but I thin you heed to work on a tailfin for it,

4. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

That's a great idea.

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I like where you're going with this, and I look forward to seeing how you tackle it.

Couple of suggestions:
    For the rear, you could always try putting the sin panels back up as if in car mode. That'll at least partially help block in the central section.
    Another alternative configuration that came to mind was if you leave the legs as if in robot mode (extended back and held together, with the wheels facing down). You could use the space left from removing Rodimus' spoiler wings to fit a vertical tail fin for the helicopter, which could possibly fold out to act as spoiler wings in his car mode.

As for the wheels, how about concealing them with plating so they're barely visible from the side? Think Psycho's vehicle mode as an example.

I'd also consider trimming off the last centimetre or so from the end of the back panel, getting rid of where the old spoiler screw hole is. Not for that reason, of course - it'd protrude less past the top of the windscreen, and make more of interesting silhouette in car mode, unevening the back.

[edit] Just knocked up a quick-and-dirty sketch of the sort of thing I'm suggesting. Hope it's of some help.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/khepris-throne/springrod.png [/edit]

6. Skyripper

Skyripper Seeker

that sketch realy shows thw potential for this idea, also there may be lessing modding needed than i first thought

7. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Really interesting idea. I sorta hope he gets a re-release now, so I could get another one and do this one too, lol. It shouldn't take a whole lot of modding to pull of, but a decent amount will help further seperate him from Rodimus. This makes the whole rivalry between them a bit funnier, imo. Good luck with this.

8. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Sorta like Bumblebee and Wasp, you mean..?

9. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

The sketch is amazing. Thank you. That's exactly the kind of help I was looking for. I was a little worried that I would have to mod the hell out of it, but now I think it's worth it. I love the idea of covering the wheels. It would actually be a bit of a throw back to the original Springer. Great idea.

I'm also thinking that I want to shave off some of the nose and flatten it a bit. Again, more like G1 Springer. And drastically shave down the headlights/shoulders.

Thanks again for the all the help. I'll keep you all updated on the progress. And please, keep the suggestions coming.

10. Altitron

Altitron Commercial Artist

Ebay:
    I don't see this being any more of a stretch than the guy that made Kup outta this same mold. The name of the guy fails me now, but it was pretty slick. Good luck!

- Alty

11. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

I actually had the EXACT SAME IDEA a while back, although I think I also flirted with using the Cybertron Hot Shot mold for it (the head is more Springer-ish, IMO).

One thing I'd think about is building some kind of folding or expanding tail rotor assembly that stores where the Rodimus toy has the rocket booster. Make it work something like a car radio antenna (or G1 Hook's crane), a series of sliding segmented pieces. Also, having the tail rotor pop off and become a short combat knife for the robot mode. Alternately, the entire assembly could become a pole-axe or scythe-type weapon for the robot mode, or maybe a big sniper rifle...

12. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I think it was Tom Servo on Seibertron who did the Kup bash. It was a while back, so I can't remember for sure.

And yeah, soon as you mentioned the tail boom, Hooper, I got the image of it turning into a rifle. Although if the rear panel folds onto the roof to accommodate the main rotor, I'm not sure where you'd fit it in chopper mode. That's why I proposed having the vertical tailfin being attached to the feet, so it forms a spoiler in car mode.

13. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

I got to say, Ramrider that sketch was awesome..it was messy, but it got the point across so good job on that. Now I think this might be a good custom so I'll be paying close attention as well..good luck, Mad Jester. Keep us updated.

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Heh. I was definitely going for speed and efficiency over presentation..! :lol 

15. Satomiblood

16. Hooper_X

Hooper_X hi haters

Since it's already a pop-off weapon, you could probably work out some way to have it rest between the robot mode's shins/the back of the car. There are enough screw-holes there to figure out a way to peg it together (plus, that'd add some stability to the back of the chopper mode if the pegs were appropriately sized). On the other hand, the current design rotates the wheels together on the inside of the assembly - maybe use magnets on the sides of the rifle/boom to attach it to the pins for the wheels?

17. Mad_Jester

Mad_Jester Wreckers

I was one of those people until I came up with this idea. It's actually my least favorite Classics mold. I even like Megatron classics better than this mold. But I'm gaining more respect for it after thinking about this project. Although I am a little hesitant to start working on this because I only have one Hot Rod.

18. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Kinda like where you're going with the former option there, Hooper - matter of fact, I just checked, and the screw holes near the knees are actually 5mm jobbies, and can accommodate a standard peg (just tested with one of Ramjet's launchers).You could theoretically peg the weapon in there and use smaller pegs at the ankles to hold it straight.

Only thing then is that I imagine it'd be quite a folding trick between having it long enough to look good as the tail boom, but fold up small enough to stash under the rear in car mode, especially if you want to make a gun out of it as well. Still doable though, I'd have thought.

Actually, I think Megs is a fantastic mould - it's just his colourscheme I find lacking (in taste, mostly :p ). I've got that well in hand, though...

19. Satomiblood

I solved this pickle by buying myself a Henkei that I'll never touch.

20. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I used to have that hurdle and had to buy extras to kitbash. I'm a lot more ruthless now - if I don't really want an original to keep as is, I'll happily start hacking at my only copy.

You'll get over it. ;)