Heavy/Scratch: New Character-Flintlock, Autobot Field Commander/Tactican

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Giskard Rentlov, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Giskard Rentlov

Giskard Rentlov Agent of Chaos

Hey!

So it's been almost a year since I posted any new work, or updated any old stuff. It's a funny situation, because I really love to kitbash, and I spend hours on projects but I am an appalling perfectionist whose ambition outstrips his skill. I often think to snap some photos, but I want to show good work-efforts I can be proud of, and I would hope that you good people would enjoy with me.

I got some snaps today of a project that I started in March, that has become a labour of love and a royal pain in the ass. I think I'm on top right now, so let me share with you.

I started out with a G2 Megatron tank and:
    - Removed his original arms, and filled in the gaps
    - Cut out his waist and hips, and replaced with magnets and Lego respectively
    - Reworked his main cannon, adding a support arm with 4 points of articulation
    - Fashioned a new head that began as a SD Gundam Zaku, now with light piping and ball-jointed neck
    - Built a base-plate that holds his shoulders, cannon, head and new arms, and acts as the anchor point for his alt. mode. When the turret part is reformed, it now sits at 180 degrees, and rotates 360 degrees.
    - Gave him a nice new paintjob, Games Workshop acrylics, (Snakebite Leather, Chaos Black, Codex Grey, various metal finishes).

The biggest problem was finding the right arms. It took ages to get the right fit. Cybertron Metroplex saved the day, but I had already used one of these limbs in a previous experiment. This is why he has a weapon mount instead of a hand. Points if you can guess the parts used.

Design-wise, He looks like a veteran, an old world campaigner. I imagined that he might have been constructed before the civil war, and witnessed the rise of Megatronus from the gladiatorial games through to the all-out conflict now fought on several worlds across the galaxy. Flintlock seems a fitting name for one who has essentially become an outdated model, saved from the Autobot old-folks home because of his countless years of combat experience.

These pictures are a little rough for now, I will organise a proper gallery when he is complete.

Thanks for lookin', constructive comments always welcome.

Attached Files:

2. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

i love it, i really dig the color scheme and head =D

3. Giskard Rentlov

Thanks for your kind words. This guy was a suprisingly complicated build for such a simple base model. Some positive feedback really makes a custom worthwhile!

4. Algernon

Algernon Radicon Acolyte

News Credits:
    I like! Nice modding and paint.

5. Stormvapor

Stormvapor Well-Known Member

I love it!

6. Giskard Rentlov

Thanks for kind comments!

7. mainframe

mainframe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Like the Dom head but that looks more like a decepticon but keep up the good work

8. Giskard Rentlov

Thanks for your encouragement Mainframe!

To answer your point he has a something of a 'con about him, but I going for the G1 Roadbuster/Whirl design. They are Autobots, and their faces are abstract too. The original Zaku head only had one central eye, but I thought that was a bit too Shockwave, so I put in the two either side.