New car advice.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Megatronwp38, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Hey guys and gals, I'm in the market for a new car and am looking for a little advice. Here is what I am looking for in a new car: Gas economy, Price and reliability. I am currently looking at the Honda Fit and Civic, the Toyota Yaris or Scion xb.

Are hondas and toyotas reallly as good as all the hype around them? I have never actually owned one before.

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yes. Absolutely. I won't drive anything but a Japanese Big 3 car--Toyota, Honda, and Nissan.

My father had a Corolla that ran +300K for +15 years, with very little trouble. It would've kept going if he didn't decide to upgrade. I had a Tercel that made it for +200K, about the same number of years, and only junked it 'cause fixing the transmission was more hassle than the car was worth.

I've had friends with similar exeriences with Hondas, and I drive a Nissan Frontier right now and love it.

EDIT: I'd definitely go with the Civic if meets your needs, mostly just because it's more established model than the others.

3. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Try playing around on vehix.com.

4. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I had a Honda Accord with 250,000 miles that thing ran forever. Japanese imports also hold their value better so you don't get totally screwed when you trade it in.

Just slightly screwed.

5. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

I have a toyota that has 115 thousand miles on it. Still runs really well.

6. Blunticon

Blunticon The Oddjob

When you get the new car dont smoke in it. Honda is the way to go.

7. CheetahDC

CheetahDC Well-Known Member

Also remember regular maintenance. Even Japanese cars will screw up if you don't change the oil, air filter, brakes, etc. Also remember that insurance rates vary depending on the type of car. Say, a red Civic coupe would have higher insurance rates than a silver Civic sedan. Also, to hop on the Civic bandwagon...there's the Si version with 200hp. Vroom-vroom. I hear good things about the Fit though. Nice hatchback with surprising amount of interior space (the seats fold up in neat ways) and it's already been in the market worldwide since 2001, so I'm pretty sure it already has a nice record.

8. Megatronwp38

no worries from me about maintaining a car, I am overly obsessive with my car and take care of it like it were my child. LOL. Insurance isn't a big issue for me, I currently have an 02 z28 and have not paid over 900 for the year in insurance in at least 3 years and I still have full coverage, plus Im basically 30 now :(  I 'm also looking at the corolla. I do like the new Si HOWEVER my reasoning for getting said new car is to get something that is good on gas and the new Si's really are not that great on gas compared the the regular civic. Plus, like I said, I'm older now and my tastes in cars have changed don't really care how fast a car is anymore.

9. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Go civic, I bought one brand new in 98, drove it into the ground, beat the hell out of it, didn't keep up on maintenance. And it still runs like a charm.

10. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Anything Japanese its pretty much gonna keep going for a long time. German cars seem to be lacking the reliability they once used to have(Mercedes and Volkswagen mainly), and well, I think you hear plenty of the American cars on staying good. It has gotten better, plus they are always chepaer to fix.

Right now, I am loving the new Volvo C30.
    http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/04/volvo-prices-c30-from-22-700/
    3 Door Hatch and a nice look. I may like japanese cars the most, but the Huge Headlight and Tailight, and high sidelines are jsut annoying me.

11. CheetahDC

Hybrid Civic would get pretty good gas mileage. However, they only offer the hybrid loaded with a bunch of features that're optional on other trims, so it'd be a bit more expensive than a regular Civic with just an option here or there.

12. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    I bought a new civic sedan just before christmas. I love it. At the time I was looking at most of the cars you have listed there and I think the civic is the best deal.

It has more standard safety features than the toyota models and I couldn't beat the price. Got mine just a touch below dealer invoice.

13. Megatronwp38

NIce, i heard honda dealers don't "deal" a lot on price, did you have to hassel much?

14. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Toyota did have more recalls last year than Ford and GM. Honda's recalls have been creeping up there too. But the media doesn't publicize those as much as the when something goes with a US car maker.

15. CheetahDC

I think one of the major things is how good is the service one is given. That definitely will influence a buyer's decision.

16. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm gonna go against the grain and say that reputation is all the imports have. I have had nothing but good luck out of the GM 2.2 liter 4 cylinder. I'm currently driving a Beretta with that engine and it has 159,000 miles and is running as good as ever. The domestic companies have really caught up to the imports in recent years, they just don't have the reputation of the imports. Any of them will hold up if you take care of them.

17. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I had a Tundra (way outside what you want, or even need) that ran trouble free for me, for the most part. I had a few problems, but they were easily fixed. I still trust Toyota, and I love my new Ridgeline despite a few problems. It IS only two model years old, though, so that is to be expected.

As for manufacturer's, if you want reliability and fuel mileage Honda, Toyota, Subaru and even Hyundai/Kia depending on model. I'd recommend either the Fit, which is the Jazz in Europe (and has been doing VERY well there) or the Civic. I looked at the Civic one day while waiting on my Ridgeline (which was in service department). I liked some things like the dash layout, and the multi-tiered dash. But, I didn't like the far slanted windshield which does slightly hamper forward visibility. The Fit, for me, was too small and the Accord is too sedate.

AVOID Volvo, Suzuki and Isuzu. They aren't highly rated overall as manufacturers.

18. Megatronwp38

Belive me, I am a long time GM owner and always wanted to believe that. I honestly take such good care of my car to the point where I baby it, however since it has hit 60k miles the there doesn't seem to be any stopping of the problems. In the past three months I have replaced a power window, AC, Fuel Pump and most recently last monday the Pass Key security system failed and the car wouldn't start. LIke I said before, I treat the car like a child, I never abuse it or for that matter speed over 5 mph more then the limit and I have a z28, so the temtation IS there LOL. Maybe it's just because I have a Camaro, however it is my 4th such car, the other three were all used late 80s early 90s and I can honestly say I had LESS issues with them then I have had with the 2002.