3D Artwork: New Brawl WIPs

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Misatokitty, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Yay! Major parts of the model are finished.... may add the holesin the end of the cannon, might not yet, don't know. All he needs are tracks, shovels, cabling/ropes and textures/colours to be "finished".

Once I've done that, I'll start pulling him apart for his robot mode...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Right. Images taken care of... now the bad news. I was intending on this being a full 3d comic, but since I changed departments at work 18 months ago, I've barely written anything and have modelled less. And modelling a WW2 comic with the plans I have for the stories, it would be sometime next millennium before I got everything done, I suspect. So, I'm thinking the way to go would be to turn this into an illustrate fanfiction series instead... I've already started the first chapter like this, and I want to see how it goes before I say yay or nay, but doing it that way means I can expand on elements of the story I feel restricted to in comic form, plus allows me time to do some nice images (and some 2d images as well). it also takes the pressure off, so I can view it as fun again, instead of the chore I stopped looking forward to after coming home from "helping" people with their problems for work.

All the Earth characters are going to be remodelled as well, and Megs is no longer a gun... I really want to see these characters in 3d, so I'll keep going on them, and I want to pose them in pretty pictures as well as learn lots of new things.

On the bright side, I've been practising people, and I can do halfway decent faces now. So, if I can just learn some decent texture-making skills, I'll be set ^^

<i>Edit:</i> Oh yeah, I searched for the original post, but it didn't come up except in an archived thread/forum, so my apologies for not posting these there.

2. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    Love the details in the alt.mode. Can't wait for the robot mode. :thumbs2: 

3. Star Cracker

Star Cracker Well-Known Member

No! I'm supposed to have have the monopoly on TFs with real alt modes, dammit!!! :D 

I've got to hand it to you, Misatokitty, that the tank (what is that, a Tiger?) looks absolutely amazing and that I'm definitely looking forward to the robot mode.

Just out of curiousity, how long has the modeling taken you? I know for me, Megatron took a good two-three months or so, especially with all the edits and such.

4. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    Thanks for the compliments and comments ^^

The planned robot mode looks a little bit like a gorilla, but I think there's enough of the G1 Brawl to be recognisable in it... it's going to be fun to do, anyway.

Starcracker, yes, he is a Tiger. I've got a bunch of reference pictures (and a small-scale model, something I'm thinking of grabbing for a few other vehicles if I can, it's been a lot of help) but none of them have the same details, which is annoying. Some pictures have hatches in the front, some don't, some have the engine exhausts in the back a certain way, others are completely different design, some have an engine hatch in the middle of the back, I went with the circular airvent that appears on my scale model. And the replacement tank tracks on the side of the turret (and in some photos on front of the hull)... I couldn't figure out what they were until I found a site on the dimensions of small details for construction of the Tigers, which mentioned spare tank treads being hung on those parts... once I knew what they were, it was blindingly obvious, but it was almost impossible to make out in the references I had (god, one photo makes them look like boxy smoke launchers or lunchboxes). My favourite pain in the neck was modelling a good chunk of it, then finding out the side flaps were rubber or tin flaps instead of the structured bit they appeared to be... but at that time, I had done too much of the model to go back and redo it... so that's my major concession to unreality with it.

Let's just say, the references make it fun.

As for timing... as I said, I haven't done much modelling in the last year, and most of what I have done isn't WW2 related. Most of the TF42 stuff I've done has been external sets (erupting volcanoes and some stupid naval bases that just don't look right) and touching up a couple of panels... I started the tank mode 28th May this year, but have worked on it sparingly. I guess, with the details, all up he's been between 6 and 10 hours. Can't get any closer than that... at times I've gone in and tweaked one thing, then jumped out to another model.

My real worry with completing this, apart from the tracks (I've got one good reference, but how I approach it depends on what I want to do with them - pathing them for animation is good, but as I've found before, if you turn the model the wrong way, the path skews and it's goodbye nice neat track pattern) is going to be the texturing... that's my real weak point.

Before I finish Brawl, I may start Megatron, since I've got a start on Optimus already under way, but not sure... there's someone else who's transformation I can't work out that's causing me a headache.

5. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

i seem to recall saying that your modeling was getting better and its always nice to see you prove me right. its abit of a shame yoru not modeling as full on as you used to be. over all i am lovign this model. i jstu want you to do the treads and such so i can see his bot mode :D 

6. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

Hm, looks interesting. I like.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

That looks great!

8. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damm thats wicked :thumb 

9. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

Ebay:
    New WIPs before I go do lawns this afternoon...
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    Not terribly happy with the tracks, but mostly because I couldn't (a) find a decent reference for them to model from, and (b) couldn't remember how to clone along a path so I could animate them later if necessary. Ah well... just texturing now, and shovels and ropes for Nazi versions.

Edit: Um... let's make that two different images instead of the same one repeated ^^