New bit on Bay and TF3/3D

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by TFPrime, May 19, 2011.

1. TFPrime

TFPrime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Michael Bay shows 3-D `Transformers' footage - Yahoo! News

LOS ANGELES – America's first mission to the moon wasn't just about scientific advancement and national pride; it was about investigating the crash of a mysterious Cybertronian spaceship.

So begins "Transformers: Dark of the Moon," the third installment in the sci-fi franchise inspired by Hasbro's line of shape-shifting toys. Director Michael Bay showed about 15 minutes of assorted footage from his first 3-D film Wednesday at Paramount Studios as part of a discussion with filmmaker James Cameron about the challenges and benefits of 3-D moviemaking.

Though Bay was initially skeptical about the multidimensional medium ("It might be a gimmick," he said in 2009), he said he "ended up loving it."

"It was just great to sculpt with space," he said. "It just felt right for this movie."

Cameron helped convince his fellow filmmaker to embrace 3-D technology and employ it in the latest "Transformers" adventure, set for domestic release on July 1.

The film opens with a look at Cybertron and its spacecraft flying through a geometric landscape when one ship crash lands on Earth's moon. It's the 1960s, and President John F. Kennedy and broadcaster Walter Cronkite are talking about the U.S. mission to the moon. President Richard Nixon is shown praising astronauts "Neil and Buzz," who, after taking one giant step for mankind, explore the wreckage of the otherworldly ship.

The footage also shows star Shia LaBeouf and his beloved Camaro/robot buddy, Bumblebee. Another shot takes a long, lingering look at Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, the Victoria's Secret model who replaced Megan Fox as the film's female lead. In her first acting role, Huntington-Whiteley appears wide-eyed and slack-jawed, her bee-stung lips perfectly parted.

The clips also offered glimpses at some of the film's other stars, including John Turturro, Tyrese Gibson, Josh Duhamel, Frances McDormand and Ken Jeong of "The Hangover" fame, who is shown nervously wielding a pair of pistols.

The 3-D action scenes thrilled, though Bay said the special effects aren't finished yet. Flying robots battle military helicopters, which crash dramatically into the sea. There was a menacing multi-tentacled robot that appeared to have evil intentions, and a trio of Transformers scaling a skyscraper, eventually causing it to topple to the ground.

"I came up with that building sequence while I was doing stomach crunches," Bay said after the footage played. "That's the weirdest place I've ever come up with an action scene."

Doing "Transformers" in 3-D added about $30 million to the film's budget, Bay said, explaining that it blends film, digital and converted-to-3-D footage.

"I just watched the movie and couldn't tell the difference between digital and film," Cameron said. "This movie is a testament to the fact that it's indistinguishable to the eye."

The filmmakers agreed, however, that not all 3-D is good 3-D. Some films are converted too cheaply and quickly, they said, and moviegoers don't like the results.

"The 3-D gets people back into the cinema experience, the big screen and stuff that we love, but we're abusing it left and right," Cameron said. "Some studios are making poor decisions about which films to convert and how to convert."

But he and Bay are convinced that 3-D is here to stay and cameras and conversion methods will continue to improve.

"I had fun on the set shooting it," Bay said. "It was like a new toy."

The most exciting thing about 3-D? Audience reaction, Cameron said.

"When they see something that blows their minds, that's the most exciting part," he said. "You know you've won them. You know you've taken them someplace, like what we've just experienced here."

• News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Waveride

Waveride Creative Team

News Credits:
    No spoiler warning? Thanks man!

3. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Oh, and by the way...

OPTIMUS PRIME DIES
    UNICRON EATS LITHONE
    MEGATRON BECOMES GALVATRON AND KILLS STARSCREAM
    HOT ROD BECOMES PRIME
    CYCLONUS WAS PHONE

4. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In his defense, the title of the thread was 'NEW Bit on Bay and TF3/3d'. Kinda hard not to see a spoiler or two coming straight at ya.
    :) 

Nice to see Jim Cameron giving a presentation on the future of 3D with Bay. Transformers fans may think Bay is the harbinger of death for the franchise (and filmmaking all together) but obviously Cameron doesn't think so. I wonder which side is right?

5. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    What exactly was a spoiler in there? Trailer already shows the whole space bit, nasa etc..? We all kinda new Shia and Rosie were in it..and we knew it was in 3D..And you saw the building bit in trailer..

I mean, I didn't know about Bay's sit ups, but I guess being a slender a build as he is and all, he probably works out..I guess I could've warned someone about that.

6. JohnRedcorn

JohnRedcorn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

no homo

7. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Why are you complaining? Thread title clearly says it's about TF3!

8. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

ya. im not sure wat exactly the "spoiler" was.. just the fact we get some background and details of whatever we have seen in the Commericals and trailers... i guess it would be spoilers if you havent seen a trailer yet..

aactually i take that back, the spoiler to me was that Cameron and transformers were in the same sentence.

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    Damn straight. Agreed %1000! I dig 3D... but not every film needs to be 3D... and when they do 3D, enough time and money should be put into it do do it right and not as a crappy, cheap afterthought.

10. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

There is no 'side' here, let alone a 'right' one.

Jim Cameron is an enthusiastic promoter of the native 3D process and digital filmmaking in general. Transformers: Dark of the Moon therefore presents him with a very relevant opportunity to discuss and push this tech to the largest audience possible.

This has nothing to do with his opinion on Michael Bay as either a good or bad filmmaker, but as an early adopter of an emerging form of cinema. It isn't some kind of official validation of quality.

Personally speaking, I still wouldn't care if Mr Cameron described Bay in the most glowing terms possible. I think he's a horrible filmmaker for a litany of reasons that have nothing to do with the Transformers franchise.

11. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    U mad?

12. TFPrime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Apparently Jim and Bay know eachother pretty well..For awhile now..Cameron even invited him over to look at Avatar being made to show him the 3D stuff they were working on for that. But it was obviously enough to get Bay in 09 saying he wouldn't to 2010-11 saying how great it was. I like that Bay likes making his style movies, and he doesn't cheap out on them.

13. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Some films are converted too cheaply and quickly, they said, and moviegoers don't like the results.

"The 3-D gets people back into the cinema experience, the big screen and stuff that we love, but we're abusing it left and right," Cameron said. "Some studios are making poor decisions about which films to convert and how to convert."

QFT.

Because of the cruddy quality of the post-conversions of late - my parents won't see but a *very small* handful of movies in 3D or IMAX anymore. Not worth the cost - and many of my co-workers don't bother at all - they just wait until it hits video.

Or they get their own 3D capable home theater...

14. DeathsHead

I beg your pardon? Please elaborate.

15. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    I love you.

16. DeathsHead

That's...nice?

17. EnerJohn

EnerJohn Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    OMG idiots! If you don't want to know anything about TF3, don't read anything about it on this site!!! I'm getting SO sick of almost all the comments about TF3 movies news is just people bitching! "I didn't want to read that." WELL WHY ARE YOU HERE?!?! What did you think you'd read?! Shut up idiots!

18. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This is all moderately reassuring. I expect the 3d should make for a particularly unique visual experience, given the nature of these films. Not every 3D movie gets the Cameron endorsement.

Re. Spoilers... I'd prefer to have been told, but as soon as it started talking about the plot I skipped over them. I suggest editing the first post with spoiler tags for the paragraph or so that summarises various scenes.

19. THEdeathsHEAD

THEdeathsHEAD Lockdown's #1 Fan

:lol 

20. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    WTG EnerJohn :lol 

This news item isn't all that much different from the other discussing the beginning of DOTM, the only difference would be Bay's appreciation for 3D now whereas b4 DOTM he stated it was a costly gimmick. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm ready to jump out of my seat when a robot or two seemingly fly out of the screen at me (especially if it's Optimus). :popcorn 

I just really hope it's as good as the hype...:confused2