New Avengers upcoming lineup

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Primal, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    Over an 8 day period which began on Wednesday, Newsarama is revealing the new lineup for New Avengers.

Here are the members revealed so far:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------​

WHO: Echo (a.k.a. Maya Lopez, a.k.a. “Ronin”)

WHAT BRIAN BENDIS SAYS:

Echo is the character who’s been in the New Avengers who has the most unanswered questions surrounding her. She had a one arc storyline and in this arc Captain America picked her to stay in Japan and deal with the growing threat of the disorganized Japanese underworld, which she took a heavy interest in being part of. We still don’t know a lot about how she got from Kingpin assassin to New Avengers ally, and why she wears the Ronin suit – why she dresses up like a man. I know a lot of people want to know this. So all of this will be answered in issue #27, which not only answers all these questions, but also debuts this new team of New Avengers.

“The Civil War was an American war pretty much, but it also had global implications, and a lot of things went topsy-turvy around the world during the war. So not only do the New Avengers find themselves in dire straits after Civil War, but word comes down that the war actually affected Echo, and there she is basically stuck in Japan. So the team goes to help here, and when they get there all answers are revealed as to why Echo is an Avenger, why she’s had such change a heart, why she wears a man suit, who she’s been fighting, and what the big threat is Japan has been.

“Now as a lot of people have seen from the cover, it has a lot to do with Elektra and The Hand, but I guarantee you, I promise you, it is not what it appears to be. There is a very shocking finale to that story that will carry through the New Avengers title for a little while.

“Echo to me is a fascinating new character for the Marvel Universe and I really like taking these great new characters and giving them room to breathe and find themselves in the MU. I think a lot of people like to see these new things and new characters and have them immersed in the Marvel Universe to really make them sing as a character and this will be the opportunity to take this excellent creation by David Mack and Joe Quesada and really give her that room.

“She’s kind of like the female Taskmaster- She’s got these really cool powers, she can echo anyone’s fighting style, and she has a lot of offer.”

WHO: Ronin (a.k.a. ??)

WHAT BRIAN BENDIS SA…

Whoa … waitaminute… Ronin??? Brian didn’t you tell us yesterday Echo was on the team? It’s only Day 2…you trying to pull a fast one here already?

WHAT BRIAN BENDIS SAID AFTER WE LET HIM TALK:

“Once Echo is done is Japan, there will be no need for her to be Ronin anymore. The suit – the identity – will have served its purpose. There will be another person in the Marvel Universe without a theme… without a motivation … or who may have lost their desire to wear the costume they were wearing, and this person will don the costume as the masterless samurai of the Marvel Universe for the time to come.”

Q: Can you say if this character’s need or desire to appear in the Ronin costume has anything to do with Civil War?

“Yes.”

Q: Okay… do you have any hints for readers at all? Want to leave any breadcrumbs on the trail?

“Some people will love it … and some people will hate it.

“It’s someone with a long history in the Marvel Universe. There are quite a few people it could be, and it’s not necessarily the person you immediately go to, but it’s someone I have an affection for who also has a history of donning a guise that best suits his or her mental tone. And this is his or her mental tone right now. And it just so happens there is a costume that needs filling and a person who can fill it, and so it’s taken."

Q: Brian, considering your clue, maybe the two most common guesses are probably going to be Hawkeye and despite his position in Civil War, Hank Pym, who is the perhaps the classic example of a Marvel character who has changed his identity according to his state of mind …

“…Or Nick Fury…or Speedball…or Miriam Sharpe…or Clor… there’s a lot of people it could be. Really I can think of 10 or 15 right off the top of my head that would be interesting…Maybe Daredevil?. You know maybe it actually is Daredevil this time. Or maybe it’s someone we’re going to reveal is already in the group. Maybe it will be Captain America? Or maybe it will be someone from the Mighty Avengers who is working both sides as a double agent because he or she doesn’t believe in the Initiative?

"These people aren’t allowed to be doing what they’re doing, so maybe someone has to do it under the guise of 'ninja boy'…"

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Ronin = Iron Fist after Daredevil is released, or vice versa

3. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

With what has been said of Bucky turning to Cap I could see Cap becoming Ronin

4. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I heard rumors a while ago that Iro nFist was joining so I'd bet dollars to donuts that it's him.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't mean to go off topic but what happened to the Wikipedia spoiler that mention Cap. America was going to get killed? Was it a hoax?

6. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Most likely.

And I don't really think Ronin will be Iron Fist because they just gave him his own book. It just doesn't make sense.

Of course, a lot of what Marvel has done lately...

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It'll be Cap. Think about it. It fits their "mental tone." Cap losing the identity will basically be like him "losing America." Ronin is a masterless samurai. See the blatantly obvious theme here?

8. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Ronin idea just needs to die. It was a huge dissapointment the fist time, I doubt it'll be better this time.

9. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Yeah, pretty much.

I think it would have been far more interesting to make him the new War Machine.

10. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

I don't think Ronin would be Iron Fist just because Iron Fist is on the cover to NA that popped up this week, and hence wouldn't be much of a surprise...

I think it'll be Mary Jane, hiding from Peter in plain sight...

Phazer

11. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Er, but MJ can't fight...right?

12. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    when she wears ironman armor...

13. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

There's been speculation before that the Ronin costume isn't far off Iron Man armour in terms of boosting fighting prowess, since it appears to have it's own cybernetic musculature.

And thus it couldn't be any stupider than Aunt May using Iron Man armour…

Phazer

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Ronin turned out to be Echo, and now theres another Ronin.

when will they stop this crap...
    Xorn turned out to be Magneto, and then theres another Xorn.
    Ricochet, Dusk, Prodigy, and Hornet turned out to be Spider-Man, and then theres another Ricochet, Dusk, Prodigy, and Hornet.

and i know theres way more that follows the same thing.

15. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    WHO: Doctor Strange (a.k.a. Dr. Stephen Strange, a.k.a. the Sorcerer Supreme, a.k.a. Master of the Mystic Arts)

WHAT BRIAN BENDIS SAYS: “Doctor Strange, as has been shown in issue #6 of Civil War, kind of sat it out. He kind of took a Gandhi stance, and when the war pans out the way it pans out, it really shocks a lot of characters in the Marvel Universe to the very core of their beings and results in them changing their minds about a lot of things. And once Doc Strange sees the results of the war in reality, and not just in theory, it shakes him, and he realizes his ‘Gandhi-status’ may have been a huge mistake, and now he’s in a position to try to at least rectify that and he blames himself and his inaction for what the end results are.

“But the truth in the matter is – as Mark Millar said in Civil War #6 – it’s not his job to interfere with mankind’s physical law. But at the same time, he knows these people, and it’s very hard to live with what he’s seeing, so he puts himself in a position to make amends and what have you.”

Q: That brings up a good point Brian and this has been a topic with Joe Quesada in the past – the fact that Doctor Strange is fairly unlimited in terms of power level...

“Well, that’s not entirely true. He’s not completely unlimited. It’s a meditation. He has to get to these places where he can do those types of things. Not every power is readily available to him to just wipe things away at any time. There are things he can do right away, and there are things he can mediate towards. He can’t just pop in and out of the astral plane without some sort of preparation.

“He can do a lot of cool stuff, but there is kid of an internal logic to how he can do things, so we’re going to get into that.

“Also, I gotta to tell you, all of the characters in the book, Leinil Yu draws the best @#$%ing Doctor Strange. This a character that has been drawn by some of the best artists ever, like Paul Smith, Michael Golden, and Frank Brunner, but Leinil does the best Doctor Strange. And it may be forefront him in a lot of the action scenes because once you see him go, you say ‘Wow, that Leinil is fantastic’.’

Next New Avenger will be revealed on Monday

16. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Dammit, now I need to pull my Doc Strange figure out of storage and add it to my Avengers. How screwy is it that i now have Strange and Punisher as Avengers? I mean come on!

Hey, Slingers was an awesome book!

17. uzi_the_klown

uzi_the_klown Well-Known Member

lol damn i cant keep up with what happening in marvel now days to confusing i have to read books i dont usly read and the bosk i usly read the story lien are losing my inrest lol dr stange dotn surprize me thu on the avengers the punisher that does lol whos nxt thu ghost rider?

18. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Damn fucking right!!

And I'm sorry. I like Doc Strange and all, but I really can't see him as an Avenger.

19. LigerPrime

News Credits:
    Oh...that's interesting but its kinda of abit far-out for a suit to boost a person's fighting capability especially for someone (like MJ) who has no fighting skills. If its for someone like Iron Fist, I could find the Ronin custome's boosting ability acceptable.

As for Dr. Strange being "neutral" to the CW conflict...I'm kinda puzzled because if I remembered correctly, he was part of the group that "exiled" the Hulk...for Stephen to go "neutral" now seems kinda...strange...:D 

20. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Actually it makes perfect sense. His convo with the Watcher tells exactly why he's not getting involved.