New Avengers/Transformers Issue #4 Discussion

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Tim Formas, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Part of a new thing we are doing here at TFW2005 will be to post a front page reminder about comics coming out on release day. The front page post will contain a link to discussion for each Transformers-related comic coming out.

This thread is for discussion of New Avengers/Transformers Issue #4. Go pick up the issue, come back, and talk away!

Since this is a discussion on New Avengers/Transformers Issue #4, people who have not read this issue yet should be aware that there are likely SPOILERS below. Read at your own risk.

2. Tim Formas

Tim Formas Old Man Administrator

News Credits:
    Lucky for us, this short crossover is over. To summarize....

Spiderman breaks free, Doom zaps Astrotrain
    Find Prowl and Ratchet, Spiderman powers them up
    Giant Iron Man overloads, fails
    Wolverine arrives, powers them up.
    Jazz and Bumblebee destroy crystal, after Ramjet gives up
    Prowl and Ratchet beat down Megatron
    Megatron calls for emergency warp
    Spiderman webs up Megatron, Avengers attack, and he falls to ground

And this is where it gets....odd....

The Autobots surround Megatron and Prime orders the Autobots to FINISH HIM!

Megatron is able to warp out with the Decepticons in time and lives.
    Autobots go into hiding aboard Ark-19.
    DONE

The Autobots surrounding the fallen Megatron, Prime giving the orders to finish him, and the Autobots opening fire just didn't seem very....Autobot. Just a very odd sequence, IMO.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the only thing in this entire miniseries that came close to entertaining me was a recreation of the cover of the original Transformers issue 3.

4. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Yeah, I noticed that too. It actually put a smile on my face.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    It seems everyone knew this issue was gonna sux0r but bought it anyway.
    Sounds just like me...
    (I actually haven't bought it yet, but I bought the other three and I didn't like them.)

6. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

This was a B - , this series was good. And also its part of the continuity. Ramjet spotlight will pick up from where this left off! Megatron was great.

7. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    B-, this was D level writing. As for continuity, it'll be retconned and said to have never happened in any continuity.

8. CrackerBoy

CrackerBoy SeƱor Member TFW2005 Supporter

The whole story arc seemed like it took place within 15 mins... nothing exciting.

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I havent bought a single issue. One of my friends buys all the TF comics, so I've been reading their copies. I would never give this thing my money. worst art and story of any transformer comic ever. the G1 show had less scale problems than this atrocity.

also, it is NOT in IDW's continuity. it fits in, but it's not officially part of it.

10. Ted Kord

Ted Kord Well-Known Member

Okay, I only bought the first issue and just kinda skimmed through 2, 3 and 4 at the shop. I got the impression that the whole thing was just Megatron trying to get juiced up from the power in Spider-Man's blood. Is that about right? If so, I'm glad I passed. Also, I noticed they never left that building. Awful, truly awful.

11. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I know people have pointed out the similarity between this issue and the cover to G1 #3, but did anyone notice that Wolverine is roughly about where Ravage was? Kinda neat.

12. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I find it a point of curiosity that in every thread for Avengers/Transformers you have to post "it's in IDW continuity". Do you have a macro that does that for you?
    There was even another thread where someone wanted to know general information about Transformers comics and you said something along the lines of "Avengers/Transformers is good. It's in IDW continuity."

If I ever read an IDW Transformers comic that makes a direct reference to or carries on the specific events of this crossover then I will believe that wishes do come true and use the magic of the interwebs to start posting that I won the lottery.

I wouldn't exactly call it a retcon. Typically the only continuity crossovers have is if the particular teams meet up again for another crossover. I hope if that happens then IDW gets the creative reigns. I would love to see Don, EJ or Nick get a shot to draw the Avengers.

You are a smarter man than I. I got burned about 10 years ago when I bought everything that said "Star Wars" on it. Some of it was just not any good. It seems I now have to exercise the same discretion with Transformers.

As for the art, I am not sure what was more distracting; the ever changing size of the characters, or the transformations between panels for no logical reason at all.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Don't be suprised if these events are mentioned in the Ramjet Spotlight. I will drink fanboy tears if they are.

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I hate the way ramjet is in here. he's not a conehead, and he's not the horse-ramming idiot we all know and love from so long ago.

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ramjet was smart enough to leave this book before I did. I'd love to see his last panel fixed to say, "This whole plot SUCKS! I'd rather headbutt planes out of the SKY than continue here!"

16. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    There may be some reference to his past encounter with the Autobots and how he slipped away that can be applied to these four issues of suck or could mean just about anything else.

The panel where Spidey webs up Wolverine has to be the worst "shooting web" scene in recent memory. The webs look awful and they seem to be coming out from between his fingers on his left hand.

At first I was taken back by the fact that Tony was so small when he emerged from the giant sized armor, but then when he was fighting Megatron he was not so small anymore. It seems Stark Industries has mastered Mass Displacement as well.

Also, if Tony was wearing his normal armor inside the giant one, why did we have to see him in his underwear?

17. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

From what I read this seems to take place a few stellar cycles before the IDW Infiltration series, where the battle Megs describes to Optimus is the one in Escalation. Seems like it loosely fits into the continuity. Definitely not the best writing for a comic.

So Ramjet is just another Starscream? It didn't seem like him at all. Not quite the angle I would have taken. One Starscream is enough.

Also, the last page, I got the assumption that the Avenger's jet is a Transformer in disguise? Anyone else pick that up? I wonder who?

18. Godzilla2

Godzilla2 Well-Known Member

I hope it is so it can leave a plot hole for another crossover. X-Men/Transformers would be cooler. And for people who asking me if its in contiuity well......I asked Simon Furmon and Chris Ryall at IDW forums and thye told me that its in contiuity!

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:

Interesting. Could you please provide a link to that?

20. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think that continuity can be used as either a plus or a minus for this book. A crap story is still a crap story.