New Avengers: Illuminati #5

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Boggs6ft7, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Anyone else catch this? Great issue and finally showing what most people had expected of what is going on in the marvel universe.

Pretty cool fanboy moment with the reveal and how its done, I don't want to give it away though. This issue makes me want to go back and check all my previous avengers stuff to see if I missed anything.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I loved the issue and was waiting for someone to make a topic on it. I can't believe it went a day before someone brought it up.

SPOILER
    As soon as Black Bolt spoke, I just went "Oh Shit!" Immediately flipped back to Stark's scan on him to see if it told anything. Messed up. The wierd thing is how this affects past stories. Son of M and Silent War being the most recent. And if it goes far enough back, even the MK launch Inhumans maxi series.

Also, did anyone else catch the Skrull in the Ronin style outfit? I found that amusing.

3. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Marvel expects the skrulls to solve their crappy plot problem, plot doesn't make sense it's the skrull's fault. Too many wolverine's Skrull. Bad writing ...Skrull.

4. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I actually like the set up for this event. Call me a starry eyed optimist, but I'm going to give Marvel the benefit of the doubt that this story will be exciting and won't be used as an excuse for every bad plot in recent memory.

5. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno...using Skrulls as a plot device...seems like a B-graded movie involving shape-changing aliens....but I will still check this issue out the next time I visit my LCBS - which is tomorrow! :D 

6. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

The skrulls have always been B movie sci-fi. It's part of their charm. I'm glad that they are actually using the skrulls to their full potential as shape shifters, though.

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

This would have been the perfect way to solve the problems plaguing the Spidey corner of Marvel (without killing MJ or Aunt May or making MJ a super hero). If you really want to turn everything on it's ear, make the Spider-Man we know a Skrull and have the real Spidey rotting in a Skrull prison for the last 5 years!

That said, I dropped this title after the second issue and am now seriously considering going back and picking 3-5 up!

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    lol at big red 'skrull' button at marvel editor office

9. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    So... redo the clone saga? ;) 

10. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

It's better than the alternative of erasing the marriage to MJ and giving her super powers.

11. yodafett

yodafett Well-Known Member

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Fair enough.

12. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I like that they kept the reveil of the X-Skrull very vague so we still don't know when the skrull was impersonating any of the x-men.

13. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Poor Luke Cage.

14. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Well between Dan Slott's last She-Hulk issue and the Skrulls, we should be able to fix everything at Marvel

15. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I know, I know but it feels so underwhelming for me. I just hope Marvel doesn't recon stuff too much.

16. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Thought I'd weigh in late on this: the minute I read it I called up some friends and we began a heated nerd discussion. While dissecting it we noticed some things that weren't that apparent from the get-go. For instance, everyone caught how many X-Men the Skrull was copying, right? Look closely and you'll see: Nightcrawler, Cyclops, Colossus, and Wolverine. The old-school Avengers Skrull only appeared to be copying Black Panther and Thor.

Also, I still say that Stark's a Skrull (it's really the only way I can rationalize my new-found disgust with the direction his character has taken) and I say it can be proved in this issue. Once you notice that the X-Men Skrull has Nightcrawler's abilities, could he not have teleported himself and Avengers Skrull out when Stark stayed behind (alone) and "blew them up"? Furthermore, if this is so, I say that's why Stark truly stayed behind in the first place: he knew.

We shall see....This issue actually got me a little excited with Marvel again.