New Avengers Annual #1

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by thefrozenred, Apr 28, 2006.

1. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Well, I'm surprised. I expected this to be the weak link in my comics this week, but with a straightforward story, and plenty of interesting twists and lots of action, I enjoyed this issue. Lots of fun.

And that one scene with Iron Man..? Priceless. I'm really, really glad to see the character acting in innovative ways again.

2. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lots of nice action in this issue. Sentry was bad-ass at the end. :thumb  I liked how Stan Lee was the priest at the wedding. And R.I.P. Black Widow. :( 

3. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

This story kind of harkened back to the brawl fests of the 80's. I have to say I am enjoying the Sentry character more with each passing issue. The New Avengers and Ultimates have turned me from an avid X-men fan into an avengers fan, something I never would have imagined.

4. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I didn't get it. I have NA in my pull, guess it didn't cover the annual. Just as well, 3 or 4 a week is normal for me, 5 is a bit much. I'll grab it from the shelf next week.

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Not only did I finally get to see the Sentry doing something, he was badass!

The fight was awesome, the wedding was sweet, and the humor was funny. Loved it.

6. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

Good issue. Ironically, The Sentry gets a better appearance here than in the last ish of his own book (where the big "secret" turned out to be a big steaming turd).

-XCN-

7. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

what was the secret?

8. thefrozenred

Ebay:

I still say there's more to the serum than we were told.

9. Xcandescent

That the serum is the original Super-Soldier serum -- reforumulated to 100,000x its original strength. And it (theoretically) works on anyone.

And Bob Reynolds really did steal it to get high.

Um, yeah.

So basically, the reason The Sentry is a torn-up nut job is because Bob Reynolds is a torn-up nut job, who worries about stuff for NO REASON. Yeah, he's carrying around a serum that could make the population of the entire world into demi-gods -- but NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT IT. It's not like the Sentry is going to go blabbing it off the rooftops. And who the heck is going to get close enough to take a blood sample?

The rest of the issue goes downhill from there.

-XCN-

10. Xcandescent

Well, it doesn't really explain his "being in two places at once" powers.

The vibe I'm getting is that it's basically Earth X serum -- you get whatever superpowers your messed-up head comes up with, but without the limitations.

-XCN-

11. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Well, yeah, there was that, the whole "being in two places at once as both the Void and the Sentry." But the Super Soldier serum...it only enhances the human being. Technically, if this were the case, the Sentry should be like Ultimate Hulk; the whole ability to fly and transform into the Sentry at will? That doesn't jive with a super-enhanced human body. You know what I mean..? The Superman-esque superpowers he has, I suspect, come from more than just a new Super Soldier serum.

I can buy that the Sentry formula induces behaviors and cognitions that allow something like the Void to exist. K, sure. Bob was messed up, and the formula just too him to the same degree as anyone else who took it.

There's more to Bob than just the serum. We know he, as a youth, had schizophrenia, but...is it naturally occuring, or is it because of something that happened to him? And did the Serum just boost what was already there? EDIT: What if Bob Reynolds had somehow been able to tap into the Power Cosmic in some miniscule way, and the serum allowed him to access it more grandly?

Hell, if nothing else, they could always blame Wanda. :p 

EDIT: And, not only that, how do you explain Watchdog? I mean...I don't think Sentry #8 is the real, FINAL origin story for Sentry. There's still so much more to explain, I feel.

12. Shipwreck

So Sentry is just a crazy guy looking to get high and got superpowers? I really hope some super villian takes his blood and creates an army of unstopable evil.

13. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Well, no. Bob Reynolds was a teenage drug user, who also had schizophrenia. While working in a lab one day, Reynolds finds and ingests the Sentry formula, looking for a quick high. However, it gave him superpowers, just like it would to anyone else. The problem is that since he IS so evolved beyond every other human being in existence, he cannot affect humanity in any significantly positive or negative way; for every act of good, he must also commit an act of evil, as the Void. So, in your idea, it'd be no different than an army of Sentries versus an army of Voids. If you have one, you MUST have the other.

Now, I take issue with the fact that the Sentry project was "compartmentalized," and yet, someone left the actual formula out where, essentially, a JANITOR could access it...? I know the 60s and 70s were a looser time, but come on .

14. Shipwreck

So wait, Reynolds having schizophrenia has nothing to do with the Void then? That if anyone took the formula it have the same effects and some weird superpowered balanced being that is good and evil?

15. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    Yes, hence the end of the battle in New Avengers Annual #1. :) 

16. Shipwreck

Does that mean if the Sentry does something evil then the Void has to do something good?

17. thefrozenred

Ebay:
    That's pretty much how Sentry #8 ends, with Sentry undeniably and coldheartingly killing the Void (at least for now) while the Void begs for mercy. I haven't tried to interpret or analyze it yet, but, well...it's interesting, huh.

18. Shipwreck

Damn, the Sentry should just give up and become a Watcher.

19. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

Sentry was a seriously head spinning comic. It still makes no sense. It's like taking a GIJoe and twisting and twisting to see how much twisting until the GIJoe waist snaps. They just keep muching up his origin more and more.

However I did enjoy Jenkins poking at himself. "There are 12 people who know this...current president. And some comic writer in Georgia is getting suspiciously close. I'll have to do something about that."

20. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Wow, nice work deciphering the Sentry. I enjoyed the mini-series, but had a hard time following it. I'll have to attempt reading the entire story in a TPB when its released. Trying to keep up with the story a month at a time was a little rough.