New artwork and never seen models of Godzilla '94

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ra88, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    But Ra, what is Godzilla '94, you ask? Well for those who don't know yet: Originally, Godzilla was to be a '94 movie, and while the script reads as the same kind of cheesy movie as GINO, this one at least had 2 creatures in it: the big ol' lizard himself, and a newly designed creature named Gryphon, a spaceform that mutated into the ultimate being by absorbing the DNA of all lifeforms on Earth.

Anyways, here it is. Also note that some of the models and concept art was done by Stan Winston himself: http://web.mac.com/toddtennant/iWeb/AMERICAN%20GODZILLA%20%2794/TriStar%20GODZILLA%20%2794.html

What could have been...

Found here: http://godzillasamurai.deviantart.com/journal/17659596/#comments

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Truth be told, the only saving grace about the movie was the fact that Godzilla himself was just that cool. I really liked his design but the rest of the movie just fell flat.

3. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I gotta say. Even though GINO wasn't that great I personally liked his design. I would have really liked the sequel ideas to pan out and I hope sometime some old art leaks out like this. Especially for this Ceberus creature I heard of.

On the topic of 94. This looks like another movie that I wish was made that will never come to fruitation. The Gryphon looks awesome and I like Godzilla's more T-Rex vibe. Also whats the purpose of the probe bats? A problem for the military? What scale are they to Godzilla? Anyone got a link to the script? Or a outline?

I also wonder how they would have made this. They would have needed some extensive CGI. Maybe practical effects?

4. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Thanks for the info, dude.

I loves me some Godzilla.
    Inspite of everything that was wrong with Godzilla 98, the creature design was quite good. It was a shame that they made such a fierce looking Godzilla run away all the time.

Stan Winston's design is quite good, too. I could definitely see that work.
    When his Godzilla is standing upright I get a very GMK Godzilla vibe from it (funny how the concept art shows Godzilla with no pupils).
    [​IMG]

Wasn't there supposed to be a Godzilla for IMAX movie made by now?
    Godzilla X Deathla or something like that?

5. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Godzillasaurus rex? Ew. I'll take GINO's redesign over that, personally. If you're going to redesign the look, you can't keep the pudgysuit physique... it just doesn't work without the classic godzilla look.

6. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I actually liked GINO's design, myself. I didnt hate the movie either, but I tended to look at it as a monster movie first and didnt obsess over what they ended up calling it. The animated series based on it was fairly awesome compared to previous attempts, no Godzuki for instance (thank goodness)

"UP FROM THE DEPTHS!"

7. Dr Wheeljack

Dr Wheeljack Well-Known Member

The models look better than the 98 movie i wish this movie was made not GINO one.

8. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    From what I remember, the probe-bats started out as regular sized bats (since the Gryphon woke up in a chrystal cave), and as they collect more and more DNA, they mutate further and become bigger and bigger, until they're mansized at which they go back to Gryphon to fuse it.

I'll try and see if I can find the script outline.

9. Dream

Dream SEND THE BOOKS!

The Gryphon dude was in Toy Fare a few years back in a bit about Stan Winston.
    The american Godzilla movie was cool, just wish they would have did something better with the storyline though.
    I liked how in GMK they mention the american Godzilla in the beginning.

10. Magelite

Magelite I make stupid look good

Frankly I preferred the final design. And the cartoon spin-off series wasn't bad.

11. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Don't forget how in Final Wars he appears and Godzilla kills him. I saw that when it was in theaters stateside and there was much clapping.

Anyway I read the script to this a few years ago, it would have been so much more awesome than what we got.

12. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I dunno. It still sounded like an incredibly horrible cheesefest, which was only better because of the more faithfull Godzilla look/behaviour and two giant monsters rampaging around the US...Would still prefer a remake of the first movie that touches on the same issues about nuclear weapons that it did, though.

13. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked the GINO design fine. It was the over all everything else that sucked about that film.

14. Mister D

Mister D Bloosh Compatible

Given that a forty story tall bipedal dinosaur is physiologically impossible, but if it were, the MiS look would actually make more sense, as it would require massively thick legs and hips in order to support all that weight.

Just saying...

15. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That concept looks much better then the GINO we got, but I’m still not into the T-Rexing of the big G.

16. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Fixed.

17. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I remember seeing the 1998 Godzilla on opening night. It was all fun and games until we found out it was preggers,...and a male. "The bloody hell!?!" At that moment in time, I lost all interest. "WTF!?!"...I thought. "Asexual Godzilla?!? What's next, Mothra and Rodan's lovechild?!?"

Now jurassic Park I can understand, since they explain that the use of certain African frog DNA can cause some animals to change sex need it be for reproductive and survival purposes, but being a die-hard Godzilla fan that grew up watching the old Japanese films on the Sci-Fi and TBS monster marathon channels didn't help save this film, knowing that the Japanese Godzilla was way more badass than this..."thing."

Honestly, I was friggin' pissed off and felt my favorite monster had been wronged. Horribly, horribly, horribly, wronged...and knocked up...by itself.
    To add insult to injury, this "God"zilla never really used the trademark atomic breath, and got taken down by mere squadron of fighter jets. Pfftt!!! The Japanese Godzilla would have made mince meat out of those toy planes and leveled all of Manhattan in less than a day!

I had quickly come to the realization (along with millions of other Americans) that this new "Godzilla" was nothing but a big Americanized weakling of a truly epic and legendary Japanese movie monster, and that all those new 1998 Godzilla movie toys that I had received as birthday gifts from family and friends,...were now dead to me.

18. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Anyone notice just how similar Delgado's model is to the V-Rex from Peter Jacksons King Kong? The head especially is damn near identical.

Neat designs, the upright godzilla is pretty snazzy.
    Stan's Gryphon is definately my favourite of the designs for it.
    Its still no Bagan though.

As far as Tri-Zilla goes, if you take it as a standalone blockbuster; I find it quite enjoyable. If you watch it expecting something on par or better than anything from the Showa/Hesei series, you will be dissapointed.
    But the design of G.I.N.O was far superior to Godzooky.

"THIRTY STORIES HIGH!"

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    Breaaaathing fire ... his head in the sky

20. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    GODZILLA!