New and Unique Music Groups?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by My03Tundra, Aug 26, 2006.

1. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I've recently been on a musical "binge" recently and have been looking for unique sounding music. Most mainstream genres are full of sound-alikes that keep cranking out the same old crap. I've lost most of my interest in both Country and Hip-Hop, since there is so much "routine" to either genre. I'm not trying to offend anyone (naturally), just making an observation. I want my music to be different.

By chance, much of the music I've been listening to lately has been "alternative" sounding music from the UK. I've found interesting groups like Street Drum Corps (who were on Conan on Aug. 25th, US based), Venus Hum, Jem, Imogen Heap, Fatboy Slim (long time fan of his work), and MANY others.

Has anyone else found some unique sounding groups, artists, or beats?

2. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Most of my friends cringe when they ride in the car with me because it's my music that gets played. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Opeth, maybe even Ozric Tentacles. Then we might cruise to some Beethoven or Bach. I like all kinds of music, prog metal most; I tend to stay away from mainstream country and rap.

3. Jarradtron21

Jarradtron21 OhOhOh it vibrates

For something fresh and differant try and find anything to do with Butterfingers, they are a Aussie group who dont really fit into any genre...but if you were to class them as something most likely hip-hop...but dont let that put you off if you dont like hip-hop. They have 2 albums out, first one called Breakfast at fatboys and the 2nd called The digger you deep. I highly recommened giving them a listen.

4. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out!

5. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

Some other suggestions you might try right now that I'm currently digging:

Mute Math
    The Gossip
    Family Force 5
    Optimus Rhyme
    Patty Griffin
    Primus
    The Raconteurs

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I seconded those picks. Raconteurs have this cool retro rock sound that reminded me of some of the more artistic bands from the 60’s. Primus is a thing unto themselves and if you like them check out Oysterhead

I’ll add a band that isn’t all that new but vary unique The Aquabats!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4tw6vBbwVY

And they don’t just dress that way for the video, that’s “there thing”.

7. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *jaw drops*
    You mean someone besides me has heard of OT? Excellent.

In answer to the question posed, though - is one of the criteria that it absolutely must be something new?

I have a friend who was also looking for some new music recently, and I threw him some old Yes (Relayer, Topographic Oceans), Pink Floyd pre-Dark Side of the Moon stuff (Meddle, Obscured By Clouds), and Gabriel-era Genesis (Foxtrot, Nursery Cryme, Selling England)... he's been happier than a pig in mud.

8. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

The last band I found and really started to like was Skindred, they are like a reggae metal.

9. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I like Skindred's progressive sounding reggae, with a touch of metal. I'm not a BIG heavy metal fan and I like it in small doses. I'm getting some tracks of Skindred's from iTunes.

Oh, the music I want to get is likely going to get loaded onto my iPod.

As for the music it doesn't necessarily have to be new, and yes, I do like some of Pink Floyd. I do have VERY diverse tastes, but I'm getting tired of same ol', same ol' from most of the Country and Hip-Hop. One of my favorite hip-hop/rap groups is OutKast. I picked up the Ildewild album when it came out this past Tuesday. Great album.

One of my friends on the boards here likes some of the Christain Metal music, but I don't particularly care for it.

Please keep recommending different groups. I like hearing music that is "new-to-me," and sometimes music that I like and would annoy most other people. :) 

I don't know what it is, but most (if not all) of the recent groups I've found that I really like are from the UK or Europe.

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I've found quite a bit of music recently to get my "fix" of new and different music.

So far, I've really been enjoying the beats of Street Drum Corps, the rock of Skindred (they are AWESOME), Disciple (okay, Allen, I listened to them and I LIKE THEM), Venus Hum, and others.

I did check out some of the groups like Ozric Tentacles, The Raconteurs, and others suggested. Some of the music I liked, but I'm not a big punk/ska fan. I like the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, and Squirrel Nut Zippers, but I like rock and what I call hybrid rock that mixes in other genres (hip-hop, dance, reggae, etc) but still retains a rock beat.

I checked out Optimus Rhyme (surprising they have that name). They are similar to a group I liked, Furthermore, but I don't want a lot of music filled with profanity.

Blackstar, THANK YOU for suggesting Patty Griffin. I liked her sound so much that I picked up two of her CDs. She's got a beautiful voice, and a wonderfully soft melodic sound.

11. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Crystal Skulls.

12. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Just checked out Crystal Skulls. Their good, but not quite my cup of tea. Thanks for helping.

13. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Alan Parsons Project, Al Dimeola, Rush, Zeppelin, X Japan, Tool, and The Who.

14. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Fourth Floor Collapse.

Apologies for linking to myspace, I feel dirty now.

Being honest though, you really have to see these guys live to 'get it.' But they're still excellent recorded. There's 4 songs up on the myspace site, so have a listen.

15. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Fourth Floor Collapse sure sounds good, but can't seem to find a distribution source for them...

16. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Wow... I've REALLY been enjoying Skindred. They're awesome.

Any recommendations for bands that are similar to them?

17. Jarradtron21

Jarradtron21 OhOhOh it vibrates

If you haven't got it go get the Peeping Tom Album its amazing...I havent stopped listening to it in 2 days :)