New Additions To My Collection: 25th Anniversary Hooded Cobra Commander and Meowth

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Pembroke, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Pembroke

Pembroke Good Skyfire. Good boy!

[​IMG]

A couple days back I went to Wal-Mart in search of the extremely awesome Masterpiece Starscream that's been released. It's an awesome figure, and a Wal-Mart exclusive, so despite any person's opinion on the store, it's the only place I can get it (well, unless I want to pay an arm and a leg online). It's reasonably priced for a figure of it's size and detail, too. Alas, though, I could not find him. So, instead I bought myself two other awesome figures. A new Pokemon Meowth figure and 25th Anniversary hood head Cobra Commander.

First off, Meowth is a pretty awesome sculpt. I like how accurate he is to his cartoon counterpart, big head and all. I also love his pose. It totally looks like he's about to get into a fist fight with Ash Ketchum or Pikachu. Not to mention I'm always a sucker for Meowth. No matter how fluxate my interest in Pokemon is (sometimes I hate, sometimes I love it), I always think Meowth is the best. Not to mention I have quite a collection of random Meowth brick-a-brack. So I totally had to get this figure when I saw it.

Unfortunately Meowth's awesomeness does have some downfalls. First of all, the figure sometimes has problems standing. Since he's hunched over and his head is so damned large, he tends to fall over after a few seconds of standing. No matter how I pose his hands, head, and tail (fortunately or unfortunately his legs aren't poseable). His paint job also seems to have a few sloppy areas. Namely some small missed areas on his fist and back. It's not too horribly noticeable, so I get passed them.

Meowth also came with two other Pokemon, but I didn't give a rat's ass about them. Hell, I can't even remember who they were. Probably future Ebay fodder if anything.

25th Anniversary Hooded Cobra Commander is also awesome. In fact, he's better than that, he's bad ass. First off, I've always preferred the hooded Cobra Commander to his other incarnations. Namely because I find the hood more menacing looking the the faceplate/battle helmet or the scuba outfit. That and it was the outfit he wore most often in the comics.

Second, he's very well sculpted and very posable. He also comes with a stand you can use to stand him up, though he can do it fine on his own efforts (though you can do wackier poses if you use the stand). He has articulation in head, shoulders, elbows, hands, waist, and knees. He also comes with a gun that you can either have him hold or strapped to his back.

The only problem I had with Cobra Commander is my particular figure had trouble bending his elbows at first. From the looks of things, it seemed like a bit of an error happened with his paint application. In short, the paint dried around his joints and thus kinda' glued his elbow ball joints shut. Fortunately I was able to get them working by applying force to them and working out that particular kink. Otherwise, CC is quite awesome, and I think him and Meowth make an awesome combo. I mean, look at them! They rock! They are the future conquerors of the world!

2. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    :lol 

thanks for the review. If i ever buy a meowth. I'll know where to go :) 

3. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

Well done, the hood does go back to almost the silent days of cinema, a true classic, which maybe why that versions the single.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I used to be a big meowth fan myself. By chance, I happened to get a rare variant Japanese-speaking Meowth sealed in an english box.

Then I lost interest and quit. It's covered in dust now.

5. NeilJam

NeilJam Resident Audiophile

I had the same issue with Cobra Commander from the 1st Cobra box set. The ankle joints were also very stiff at first.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you just made CC sound like brain (from pinky and the).

7. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Hooded CC is definitely a pimp.

8. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Unless they changed the production run later, that's not a rare variant - all of them were like that. Tomy or whoever released those older Pokemon toys in the US never bothered to change Meowth's voice chip to something that would, you know, make sense for the US market. They dismiss the fact that he's just speaking Japanese by claiming the sounds are "chattering." I got stuck with the stupid Psyduck version...

Ahem. I love the hooded Cobra Commander, and if I get a chance to pick him up once I'm not broke, I'll definitely do it. I've had experience with Joes, but only bought my very first one - the Sand Viper from VvV at Family Dollar - this past weekend and love him, cheap as he may feel. Not gonna complain for just $2 though.