New 360 users - any RROD's yet?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Hook, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Time and time again, I've seen someone post on his Facebook status that his 360 has RROD'ed for the 3rd time. Every single friend of mine who has a 360 has sent their unit for servicing. This pisses me off to no extent because I'd love to get a 360 for the awesome exclusive titles, but I refuse to buy a shoddy piece of hardware that I'll be afraid of turning on each time I want to game. Hell, my original XBox is almost 8 years old and still works like a charm. My backwards-compatible PS3 works beautifully as well, hell, even the dusty Gamecube still works great :lol 

So... Recent Xbox 360 owners... How are the more recent builds? Is RROD still an issue? Can I safely buy a 360 without running the risk of going postal on Microsoft?

2. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I can say as the owner of both a 360 and a PS3, that my 360 gets way more use.

I bought mine in early July 2008, so it's right at 15 months old. No red rings yet, no problems at all actually. Ironically my PS3 shit out in 13 months...in other words, one month out of warranty. The 360 gets what I consider to be pretty heavy use. I play perhaps 7-10 hours a week myself, but I also have two sons who probably play around 7 hours a week each, PLUS my wife, kids and I all use it for Netflix streaming. We actually almost never watch network tv, because we watch Netflix every night instead. Altogether it's probably running for perhaps 30-40 hours in an average week. I do install the disc based games I'm currently playing to the hard drive so the disk drive gets minimal day-to-day use.

I would say go for it. I know I'm just one person and perhaps lucky nothing has gone wrong, but it seems like we hear less and less of this with the newer systems. And even if it does red ring, Microsoft has a very, VERY generous standard warranty. I believe it's 3 years, which is unheard of for a game system (though to be fair they only set it that high under threat of lawsuits). Still, it's there. I can't say the same for PS3. I ended up buying a second console rather than paying the astronomical repair fee Sony wanted.

3. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

My newest 360, a jasper arcade model, has been running perfectly since I got it. It runs extremely cooler than my other, near launch, 360 (which has ringed twice). I've also had a PS3 thats died (and a PSP and 3 PS2s).

As long as it's in a mostly open space newer 360s shouldn't have as many problems.

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If it weren't for Mass Effect 2 and Snoopy I'd have sold my 360, as my Wii now literally gets more use, but during the time of Mass Effect 1, I put a lot of hours into my 360 (Halo Edition) and have yet to see it act up. It's not NEW NEW, but it's a newer model to be sure. No problems at all, and I did put a lot of hours into Mass Effect 1 recently.

Of course you can't, bro. Sony doesn't have 90% failure rate to answer for. Every PS3 owner I know hasn't had issues, and every 360 owner I know, save for one (who doesn't turn his on), has had issues, including me. If MS didn't have an extra-sensitive compensation, a lot more people would be up in flames.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  5. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Even though I'm on my 3rd 360 I love the system way too much to even consider unplugging it.

It's like an addiction.

6. KidDynamite

Oh I know. I wouldn't have a 3 year warranty if I were Sony either. And I'm not bashing the PS3, I did buy two of them after all. I confess it was frustrating having it fail so close to the end of the warranty period and getting sticker shock at the repair estimate, but I fully realize my experience is not the norm.

7. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    I've had my 360 for 2 years now and it get's used a lot and no issues for me :D 

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Does anyone know what Chipset the Halo Edition has?

I didn't get an extended warranty on my PS3, Dynamite, so I'd be Hosed (and pissed) if mine died too. Maybe Sony rigs them to die right at the end of the Warranty. Conspiracy to the Max!!

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, but I double-posted.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  10. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Dude, really, knock it off.

11. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    My current 360 (older model) is likely on its last legs. I don't play it all that often as I know the disc drive is likely about to give out, plus it's already had the video card fail. I can't imagine I'd pay to fix it or replace it.

12. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So here's a question from someone who hasn't bought a console of any kind since the early 80's.

If I were to buy a Playstation or a 360, am I at lesser risk of hardware failure if I'm a more casual gamer? For example, I like racing games... I likely wouldn't be doing online stuff or playing for more than an hour or so at a stretch. Does that mean there's much less chance I'd have a problem of some kind, or is hardware failure just utterly random?

13. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I got a replacement (new) Elite about 4 months ago from Microsoft after my launch day Elite RRoD on me and it's worked like a charm. I too have put the games I'm currently playing onto my hard drive and the system runs very quite (and cooler) than before. Very pleased thus far.

14. KidDynamite

Theoretically...yes. The 360's red ring problem had something to do with heat warping the board, so in theory if you play it less it would have less opportunity to overheat and start warping. As far as PS3, while it doesn't have the same failure rates as 360, it seems that the majority of PS3s that fail (including mine, by the way) do so because of a bad drive that stops reading discs.

Having said that, there does seem to be a weird element of randomness. I used my PS3 primarily for PSN downloadable games. I only owned three disc based games for it, and would occasionally watch a Blu-ray. The point being, the drive didn't get THAT much use to where extensive play was the cause. And I know people whose 360 red ringed upon booting up after it had been off for two weeks. So, who knows.

15. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I have an ARcade had it since last christmas and I use it alot and its on even when im not using it sometimes and not a single issue here except for an occasional disk read error

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I would say possibly random, because I spent a lot of time on Oblivion when I bought my 360 (a lot of time) and it finally caved, but then I got a new one (it was within Gamestop's return policy) and the new one fried within a week, with less playing. And then my newew Halo one hasn't fried at all.

17. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Hm. If that's the case, it looks like the newer models are faily stable then.

Looks like its gonna be an expensive christmas - A Wii for the wife and older daughter and a 360 for me :D 

18. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Not to be a naysayer, but I had not a single problem out of my 360 for 2 years after I got it, then one day year before last it just RR'ed. I've went through 2 more since. So don't get too overly comfortable even if it has been a couple years since you got it and no probs.

19. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    True, don't be too disregaurding of the problem but also don't let it get you paranoid.

The 360 is a great console. Have fun with it, but also take care of it.

20. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    My latest replacement system is going on a year (I think).
    However, when I was playing Batman: Arkham Asylum I thought it was going to RROD, but that was just clever, clever programming on Rocksteady's part.

I've had three RROD and I still recommend the system.
    Microsoft will fix it if you have an issue.
    The RROD is not a reason to stay away from the Xbox.

On the flip side, there is absolutely no reason not to get a PS3.