New 2011 Freightliner cabover would be a pretty bada$$ Optimus...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by mirage4lifeyo, Nov 21, 2011.

1. mirage4lifeyo

mirage4lifeyo Well-Known Member

Not to be geewun, but since Optimus was originally a Freightliner cabover and since those have become pretty rare in the U.S., it was cool to see this modern iteration unveiled this past May at a truck show down in Australia. Huge grill takes some getting used to but it would make for some fun road rage Decep smashing moments. Throw some dashes of blue on that sucker here and there and it's be good to go:

Attached Files:

2. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

It could be an option for a future Optimus Prime, but right now because of the movies, a long-nose cab truck like the Peterbuilt 359 (or whatever the number is) is going to be the basis for a good number of future OP's.

That, and they can get a bigger robot out of a long nose than a cab over.

3. mirage4lifeyo

Oh I agree on all that and I have no problem with the long-nosed Peterbilts. They are way more common in the U.S. nowadays anyway so makes a lot more sense. For a classics or universe iteration of Optimus or something the above might be fun, but that's probably about it. I just found it interesting since most cabover trucks like the Optimus from the original line look pretty outdated and blah to me anyway, so it was interesting to at least see a more modern iteration for kicks.

4. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    didnt they use that for TFCC Huffer/ Cybertron Armorhide?

5. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It seems more Huffer to me due to the design and the fact that this model was used for that one TFCC Huffer figure.

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    It suits Huffer/Pipes/Amorhide more.

Besides I'd rather have Optimus Prime as a Fire Truck, specifically one of those Rosenbaurer fire trucks. (Not the one Sentinel is off course.)

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    It looks like it has a mustache and a goatee.

8. mirage4lifeyo

Aernaoth...good point, ok maybe more of a Nemesis Prime he could tie Arcee to the railroad tracks and cackle.

9. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, 1st thing i thought 'handlebar stache!'

Motormaster, is that you?!!

10. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    It looks impressive no doubt! I like Optimus's alt mode from the Movies and TFP a lot but this can work for a potiental reboot of the films!:) 

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Looks like an amalgam of the old and new Prime alt modes.

12. mirage4lifeyo

Definitely like it better without the 'stache and a hint of blue in back and up top, but the more I look still not completely sold on the giant grill. Maybe keep it relegated to Huffer/Armorhide as suggested...this seems to be direction Freightliner wants to go with that model though.

Attached Files:

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    NOW he has a Unibrow!

14. mirage4lifeyo

And some pus filled yellow zits. Damn. His personal hygene is not, well, optimal.

15. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Not to mention those eyebrows...

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I've never had a problem with re-interpreting Prime as a long-nosed truck. He was just such a truck in G2, one of my fave Prime designs.

However, you have to LOVE the often parroted logic that "cab-over freightliners aren't common enough" to suit something as realistic as the Bay movies. I just have to call bullshit on this old, nonsensical argument. Cab-overs are not as common as they once were, but I still see them on the highways on each and every road trip I take. By comparison, can they be as "uncommon" as the exotic concept sports cars and vanity first-response vehicles that define every OTHER Bayformer car?? Unreleased Camaro concepts, Corvette convertibles, Ferraries, Hummer ambulances, Saleen Mustang police cars, etc... I mean SERIOUSLY people!

Secondly, the size... do you really believe that they went with the Peterbilt because with all the cheating and slippery size-shifting in the Bayformer designs, they couldn't get a "big enough" Prime out of a Freightliner?

Besides the fact that they could easily push the size of that truck as far as they wanted, the whole question of size is arbitrary anyway. Who cares whether Prime is 26ft or 36ft tall? Megatron transformed into space-scissors anyway, so his scale was a non-issue... he could simply be as big as they needed him to be. As long as Prime and Megatron are about the same height, it doesn't really matter how big they are one way or the other.

I'm just a little tired of people making BS excuses for decisions like that. They picked a Peterbilt because they wanted a Peterbilt (and probably forged a lucrative licensing arrangement with the manufacturer... also a factor). Personally, I would have preferred a more "classic" cab-over Prime, and this Freightliner fits the bill very nicely, but whatever. Movie Prime looks cool, and is still the most "G1" of all Bayformers (psychotic face-stealing notwithstanding), so it's hardly worth complaining about. :) 

As for the future... why not? If they do more TF movies, it's probably in their interests to shake things up a bit, and do some redesigns of the characters. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm not interested in buying 5 more iterations of pretty much the SAME design. I've got enough Peterbilt Primes and Camaro Bees to last a lifetime... so if they want to sell more toys, it might be time for a change. :lol 

zmog

17. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Flames just look better on a long nose than a cab over.

Fire is awesome!

18. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Flames do look better on a Peterbilt.

However overused flames on TF designs are overused. Fire is in danger of becoming less awesome as a result... and personally I never thought Prime needed flames to be awesome.

Seriously, has anyone done a count of how many Hasbro TF's in the past 6 years have used flame-based decos? It's gotta be a lot.

zmog

19. Oberoniss

Oberoniss DOESN'T-EXIST BABBU

News Credits:
    Ultra?

..wait, wait, no.