Netflix Raising Subscription Prices for Blu-Ray Rentals

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Joe Moore, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So this is for Blu-ray users only? Doesn't affect me in the least if so.

3. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ^ Same here. And yeah, that seems to be the case:
    Netflix is awesome. I've had a subscription for... 7 years now, I think. It tends to average about $1 per disc for me. No way I could beat that in a b&m video store.

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yay....not.
    i have a notion that there is just a department somewhere at any corporation whose only job is to justify rate increases.

you get hammered for months on tv, get promo items in the mail, and you sign up because it sounds good.
    oh, you want blu-ray? darn, wish we had known that, cause it's gonna cost more the mail something that weighs the same as a cd...
    this from a company who lets subscribers keep movies until the end of time if they want without regard to others requesting that video? (they bought plenty!)

i am cynical at everything this morning. so bleah....

5. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    As long as their definition of "modest" price increase and my definition of "modest" price increase are the same I'm not worried about it. I love Netflix.

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Kinda lame, but depends on what exact numbers we are talking here.

7. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

As of right now it doesn't affect me in the least, however I do see myself in the future getting their blu-rays. Maybe by then the price will come full circle.

8. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd be too worried about getting a previously-viewed BR and it be scratched and unusable, only to have to return it and wait for it again. I've been renting my BRs from Blockbuster and it's been pretty sweet.

9. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    That's kinda lame. I am guessing they get a good enough deal on their movies that a 5 or 10 dollar price difference would be covered by the fact that they can rent them out enough times to cover this. Also, Blu-Rays are supposed to be more durable than DVDs. Sounds like good old fashioned greed to me.

10. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Bugger. That sucks. Right now you just set your preferences to ship the Blu-Ray version if it's available. There's not a separate DVD rentals from Blu-Ray rentals. Given that the Blu-Rays in my Netflix Queue are few and far between I wouldn't be able to justify any price increase. Guess I'll just have to stick to the standard DVDs for renting and buy the BR if I really like it.

11. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    If you get a disc that is scratched or damaged you go online as soon as you find out it's damaged and they ship it as soon as possible. They don't wait to get the bad disc in before shipping the new one. It's not too bad.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yeah but..... blockbuster is down the street. Instant gratification. :D 

13. KidDynamite

I love Netflix and would never go back to renting at a brick and mortar Blockbuster store again. Running back and forth sounds like more of a hassle than waiting a day to get a replacement.

But, I did have one situation with Netflix where I missed having a store down the street that I could go into it resolve the issue. I rented An Evening with Kevin Smith 2 from Netflix. When I got it it was disc 2 of the first An Evening with Kevin Smith. Okay, so I filled out the online form and the replacement came a day or two later and...same thing. Disc 2 of the first one. So I filled out the form again and a day or two later...same thing AGAIN. What are the odds? Three copies of the same thing with the same wrong disc in there? I really wished I could just go into a store and swap the discs out myself. Still haven't seen that damn disc because I gave up after the third try and just moved onto the next movie in the queue.

14. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Not quite sure I understand why people are upset or think it's "lame". The whole reason I'm avoiding Blu-Ray is that they are in general about $10-$20 more then a standard DVD. So, Netflix is raising their fees for Blu-Ray users only. Makes sense. If their rates went up for everyone I would call BS, but this sounds totally reasonable. Go watch the Gasoline market- now there is a price increase joke. "We had to raise the price of gas since it was pretty windy a couple days in Cambodia last week. We aren't sure, but that COULD cause the gasoline to dry up."

15. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Are you sure it wasn't that disc one had extra features and crap, and disc two was the actual movie?

16. KidDynamite

No, no. Maybe I wasn't clear. Maybe this will make more sense. There are four total discs:

1) An Evening With Kevin Smith disc 1
    2) An Evening With Kevin Smith disc 2
    3) An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder disc 1
    4) An Evening with Kevin Smith 2: Evening Harder disc 2

I rented #3 above, and kept getting #2. I had already rented #1, #2, and #4 above before, so #3 was the only one I hadn't seen. The disc art for these are totally different. I understand how they could get mixed up, it could be kind of confusing...just not three separate times.

17. MegaMoonMan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Ah, I see. Well then, they deserve a sound thrashing.

18. Cloud Strife

Cloud Strife 01000011 01000101 0101010

this doesn't effect me. but i see it as totally reasonable. come on, netflix is notoriously known for lowering thier prices. more then likely they will raise the price of blu-ray rentals for a bit then lower it back down to a more reasonable price. you pay for what u get with netflix.

19. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

The problem with that is that they have a VERY limited selection. A lot of the time they get some small obscure movie on Blu-Ray and then some major movies they just completely ignore. I haven't a clue who is managing their HD selections, but they're clueless.

They take forever to get anything from them online. I have about 20 on my list, and not a single one of them is available to be sent to me. Netflix has this issue too.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I LOVE Netflix. They sent me DVDs in Afghanistan and Iraq, and by doing so, bought some extraordinary customer loyalty from me.

Besides that, I love the convenience (no Blockbusters near my home, and I move a lot anyways), the price (like Jarodimus said, it's about a dollar a rental), and selection (I don't have cable, only watch TV after it's on DVD).

This surcharge isn't cool, but given the increased cost and the increased demand for BR discs, it makes sense.