Netflix eliminating Profiles

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Joe Moore, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I never knew there was such a thing.

3. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah. You could set up a "His" and "Hers" queue or a "Kids" queue and get movies from your specified list. So if you got two movies, you would get one from each.

4. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Same here, I guess that makes sense for families, for someone like me its not a big deal really.

5. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I read about this earlier today and I had no idea you do this either. My wife and I have just shared one queue. Oh well, not missing anything I guess.

6. gil

gil Godmaster

damn, that sucks. Me and my girlfriend tried it out a while ago, with me getting two movies and she get's one. But with her trying to finish colleges, her movie was kept for months at a time, so we went back to the regular thing, and I get three of my movies, while she concentrated on school. Well, she graduated, and now she's putting Ugly Betty on the Queue and we're stagering our movies. I watch my movies and I'm done, but now we got three Ugly Betty's out, and I'm stuck with nothing. I was going to go do that double queue so that I can watch a movie, but I guess that's not happening.

7. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    eh, my wife and i looked into this, but i just stagger the list...#1 is a movie i want to see, #2 something she wants to, and vice versa...there's also alot of cross over, so its not a huge deal...and if either of us want a tv show, we just stagger the discs the same way, so this isn;t a huge loss...i can see families bugged by this though...oh well...

8. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

People who have used the profile for a while, like my wife and I, are not happy at all about this. Why? Because if you aren't the primary account? All things tied to your profile are just going to be eliminated.

All ratings? Gone.
    All items in queue on the flip date? Deleted if you don't manually move them into the primary queue.
    All comments and reviews written with your profile? Deleted.

Essentially, this is Netflix saying, "this is really going to help our customers" and then pulling the rug out from under anyone that utilized this feature. Makes me want to tell them they can stuff it, but as my wife pointed out, then we get no movies at all. We sure as hell aren't going to sign up for Blockbuster.

So, nice going Netflix. Eliminate the competition, then start removing services. Good job.

9. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

What's the big deal? I mean if you want to rent a kids movie and an adult movie than why not just put one adult movie and one kids movie at the top of your queue? I never used these. I didn't really see the point. Perhaps someone can explain to me what was so great about these.

10. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

It's more than just that though I'll get to that in a moment. First and foremost is if you are set up for multiple people with multiple profiles, if one sends movies back and the other doesn't, it's the person sending movies back who gets a new movie from their queue. If you share a queue, you have to reshuffle every time one gets ahead of the other.

As for other items? My wife and I often rate movies very differently. She's the primary account. My ratings, well over two thousand of them, will just disappear on September 1st. My reviews? Deleted. My comments? Gone. The only thing that will be retained is a rental history, the one feature neither of us use.

What Netflix wants is for each household that uses multiple profiles to sign up for multiple separate accounts to retain all the same features, while giving them a few extra pennies per account of course. They don't seem to realize that if we're being presented with the option of losing one account and starting over, there are other services available out there.

As a web developer myself, all the reasoning behind the move is complete and utter crap. They say less than 1% of all users utilize profiles, yet that is a huge drag on disc space and server utilization. If so, they've got some horrible developers. Or they're feeding us a line of crap to justify a business decision.

I'm guessing it's the business decision.

11. gil

gil Godmaster

Exactly. That's why I'm stuck with 3 Ugly Betty Discs.

Also, Lately I've been having problems where Netflix would skip the first 6 discs because it's brand new, and it's long waits, so it's harder to stagger movies and anticipate what comes out next.

12. Optimus17

Optimus17 Well-Known Member

Okay I see now. I can see why you guys would be upset about this. That is kind of a stupid decision. Also i hate the wait stuff. I mean I'll have things saved on my queue the day they are released in theaters but when they come out sometimes I don't get my last DVD out in the mail over the weekend or on Monday and then on Tuesday or Wednesday when they get my DVD the movie I want will have already gone on very long wait. That is extremely annoying.