Netbook owners?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

What do you have, and what do you think of it?

I have an Acer Aspire One AOD150 exactly like this one:

[​IMG]

1.6GHz Atom CPU
    2GB Ram
    160GB Hdd
    10.1 inch screen 1024 x 600
    Windows XP SP3

It's fast enough for office type stuff and even some light photoshop, internet works fine and it makes a nice MP3 player.

It will even run a lot of older 3D games (including GTA Vice City).

All in all I'm pretty impressed for $300, plus it runs about 6 hours on a single charge and is tiny as shit but the keyboard is ALMOST full size.

It has become my "primary" computer and goes everywhere with me.

2. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

I have a Toshiba after my poor gateway of 6 years bought it after a glass of iced tea. I had a real nice desktop before the gateway but I like the lappy top more for its versatility.

3. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    My wife's laptop is on it's last legs and we were looking at one of these (through Dell though) as a replacement. I'm curious to hear what others think about these little guys.

4. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    DK I have the same one but in white. It's pretty awesome, really useful if you do any kind of traveling.

5. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I have a question:
    Without an optical drive,how do you install software for it? Like your games and things?
    i have some software on disc that i would need for me to really use a netbook- like my ZoomText.
    just wondering how and how easy to get past that.

Also, if it is easy to load software, i could use the netbook instead of a super-bulky laptop with my magnifier for my classes.

{not wanting to Mod, but isn't this a Technology topic?}

6. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Got an ASUS EEE 904HA. Love the little bugger. I'm kinda hard-pushed to think of a clear advantage a fullsize laptop has over it, at least for anything I do. I don't use PCs for gaming anyway, so this thing is perfect. I can take it anywhere in the house (or anywhere else, for that matter) with about as much effort as carrying a hardback book. Thinking of getting an external DVD drive so I can free up some memory, but that's not anything like urgent. Not a big fan of the touchpad mouse doofer, as it sometimes adjusts the size a webpage displays at when I try to scroll. Guess I'll buy a mouse if it bothers me enough, but it's been a few months now.

So... yeah. Overall: recommended.

7. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I've got an Acer Aspire One ZG5.

I've been using it here on deployment, and it's perfect. I have a Dell XPS at home, but didn't want to bring it because of sand and the fact that you can't carry bags into any of the facilities here. It's small enough to fit in my cargo pocket. It's slower than my Dell, but I use it for web-browsing, mp3's and IM'ing, so it fits the need. I have a wireless USB mouse I use to solve the touchpad issue.
    I wouldn't install anything I didn't have to on it, certainly not games, so the lack of a disc drive isn't an issue.

I got mine refurbished from TigerDirect for $249, and couldn't be happier about it honestly.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. Ace Convoy

Ace Convoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my mom is looking at a netbook for me I like that Acer the OP has up there.....does it come in red?

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

I got my wife a Dell Mini in August. It looks and feels like a toy.
    Here's a pic of it sitting on top of my laptop:
    [​IMG]

I don't think she's touched it in a month, still uses mine. The screen is so small, XP doesn't fit properly. And there's no way to change the resolution on it. Best part is that, even though there's no cd drive, Dell still sent the installation disks to reinstall the software. Which did come in handy, when I needed to reinstall XP on my desktop :) 

I don't recommend these things if you have large hands. :lol 

10. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Ive been thinking of getting one for sometime now.
    either your's or sledge's sounds interesing.

at 300 bucks, its sounds like a value.

11. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

Yes, it comes in red, blue, white or black.

My hands are huge, it just took some getting used to, and the Aspire One really doesn't feel like a toy, just like a mini-laptop.

I have a small program that switches the resolution if you need to see more screen, and as far as the optical drive issue I use daemon tools which is a virtual cd/dvd drive that can read ISO images off of my 8GB USB stick or SD cards.

The only thing I wish it had was built in bluetooth so I could transfer pics off my phone without having to take the card out of it.

12. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

My brother got the same computer. I play around with it sometimes when he's not using it. It's nice for him. Not something for me.

I can't use the smaller keyboard, I'm used to the full sized thing. Been using a full size keyboard for WAY too long to ever get used to a half size one.

I also dislike the lack of an internal optical drive of some sort. If your OS ever screws up, it's a huge pain in the ass to get an external DVD or CD drive to install from, since by default most computers don't check for external opticals, just internal ones.

My old Sony laptop needs its hard drive reinstalled, no internal drives. External can't be booted from. To fix it, I need to remove the hard drive from the computer, get an adaptor to put it into my desktop, install it on there, then put it back.

Finding the adaptor is the hardest part.

Netbooks are really good for certain people. Just not for certain people like me who likes a bit more traditional size and options.

13. cbff

cbff Destroyer of Botcon

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Why didn't the developers of these things include an external CD drive?

Seems like an after thought, but I would be a lot more interested in getting one and using an external CD drive as kind of a docking station at home. Include that and I'd be sold.

14. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

They do, but it costs extra

15. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have 2 netbooks actually.

I switched to an aspire one AOA-150 when I was in saskatoon because my hp tablet sounded like the hard drive was going on it, and I didn't want to risk a crash in the middle of classes. I was actually looking at futureshop that day to see if they had any sort of external laptop batteries to buy and ended up playing around with a netbook while looking. I ended up walking out with the aspire one and switched completely to it for class work at the university. It boots quick, has a decent hard drive, is fast to shut down, and is both light and pretty tough. The only downside for me was that when I got it there were only 3 hour batteries for it available. But this wasn't much of a problem ultimately since I could plug in somewhere when I needed to

I had planned to start using the netbook for my classes back in calgary, but with the jostling you get on the train I was a bit weary of taking even a tough little pc like my netbook because it ultimately uses a regular hard drive. I realize that hard drives can take a lot nowadays because they are have shock absorbing technology to hold them in place and some of them have drives that lock into place I think when they shut down, but I didn't want to risk it. So, with the money that I saved returning some books I ended up not needing for class, got an hp mini 1030NR with a 16 GB solid state drive and 10.1 inch screen. The only bad thing about it is that it's hp, so it came with a poorly adapted os for the individual system (that was part of the reason my tablet was acting up so much as well I eventually determined after doing a clean install of a vista, and not their hp restore disk image. I had tried their restore image several times, but it didn't help. Plus, it crashed twice). This isn't a problem anymore though, since part of the reason I got the 1030NR was because the mini 1000 is one of the best for doing this:
    [​IMG]
    There's a few tweaks still to do to it to work out sound issues and a few things, but it's running snow leopard and weighs almost nothing. Plus, with the solid state I've not no worries about it getting damaged.

16. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    over at newegg, external optical drives are 50-100 bucks, and i can live with buying one.
    I am not looking to weighing a netbook down with too much software. But ZoomText is a must (i am using it now to read the screen at 3.5x magnification) and i need the software to run my magnifier so i can read notes from the board.
    after that a copy of AbiWord and Thunderbird portable is all i need.

trust me, the advantages i see from carrying a Netbook around instead of a 17" laptop are mineboggling. 10x less of a footprint. easier tp setup out in the field, i am reading and am liking netbooks more.

I sure wish that SSD tech would speed up. I'd love to have a 250gb SSD on one of these.

17. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I have an MSI Wind Netbook, it works great for browing the net, I love it. It runs photoshop 7 amazing, really fast wireless card in it, really bright LCD screen, webcam, SD card reader, 3 USB ports. Its a great little machine.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  18. Pimpimus Prime

Pimpimus Prime (┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐) TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've had an HP Mini 5101 on order for nearly two months. Damn thing has been delayed, backordered, etc. due to the HD screen. I'm tempted to cancel it and get the HP Mini 311. It's a bit larger than the 5101 but has an NVIDIA ION chip in it.

19. JetRaid

JetRaid Jhet Rheyd

News Credits:
    I have my desktop and Boris, my Eee PC!