NES Ninja Turtles game coming to VC

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Deathx360, Feb 22, 2007.

1. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I'm a little surprised no one has posted this yet. IGN reports that the ESRB has ratings for two Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles games. One is the new Ubisoft game for the movie. The other is one from Konami who made the original NES and SNES games, a few under the Ultra name. IGN reports that it is the 1989 game. Here is hoping for Turtles II (which is the only one I need), Turtles III, Turtles IV (the first SNES game), and Turtles Tournament Fighters. You can read the article here.

2. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    That first game never felt like a Ninja Turtle game, like it was made for something else and just had some turtles playable instead of something else and a lot harder than most of their games...

The others were great though, especially Turtles in Time, VC needs that one

3. Deathx360

News Credits:
    I just got the original at a Rhino game store. They had it on sale. I agree that it is not the best in the world but it was the first I played as a kid. I still have the games, boxes, and instruction books for Turtles III, IV, and Tournament Fighters. Turtles IV is a great game especially in multi-player. I would like for them to release both the SNES and the arcade versions of the game.

4. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I could never beat that first NES game.

5. Toonces

Toonces Domo

Ebay:
    Yeah, it was much more like say Super Mario Brothers 2, aka Doki Doki Panic, was to that franchise, than a TMNT game was to the other games released under the banner. I bought all of the old turtles games but my favorate ones came after the first NES game.

6. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I actually just played that over the weekend on my Xbox. It sucks, even harder than I remember it being too.

7. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I still have that first game, and its still impossible, for me anyway.

I still remember the swimming Dam level, where you have to defuse all the bombs. It never failed that after that I'd have lost most of my energy, and could never recover in the next level.

Torture. Yet I stuck with it... I must have enjoyed it.

8. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

The first one was one of the hardest games on the NES.

The second one was just great two player arcade fun.

Now if they release Turtles in Time it'll be all sorts of greatness.

9. Fairy Princess

Fairy Princess Banned

I loved that game!

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Konami needs to release a remixed "perfect edition" of the TMNT arcade game. The arcade version had better graphics and sound, among other things, but the NES version had much tighter controls and extra levels. It'd be great to see them combined.

I've still got the first TMNT game for NES and MS-DOS. I think the game was also ported to Commodore 64 and some other home computer I can't quite remember. MS-DOS also got a completely different TMNT III, which was more like a sequel to the first one instead of an arcade game. Anyone besides me ever played it?

11. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I had it on the Spectrum, althougth I don't remember it being as hard as folks are saying. I even found away to skip a couple of levels near the begining, althougth I can't remember what it was or whether it was actually an intentional part of the game.

Funnily enougth, the main thing that sticks in my mind about it is that it used one of those copy protection code sheets that you couldent photocopy to deter people from pirating it.

12. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought it was hard as hell, but looking back on it I would love to play it again.

13. flamepanther

The Spectrum version probably had this too, but there was one thing that really made the DOS version better than the NES version: you could save your game.

I think being able to skip levels is intentional. You're supposed to be searching for where the Foot bosses are hiding out or something like that, and some of the locations are just for wasting your time (and health) on a dead end.

14. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    I don't think this will be the NES version.
    My money's on it being the original arcade version, which was better.

I pumped a solid five dollars into that machine once. I had to beat it!

15. flamepanther

I doubt it. If it's the arcade game, it will probably be the NES port. All of the arcade games released to VC so far have been console versions. If Nintendo and Konami released the NES version of Gradius instead of the arcade version, why would they treat TMNT differently?

16. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    The TMNT license is no longer held by Konami, it's now held by Ubisoft (who are making the new game for the movie). So unless Konami got a special license or this is a co-release with Ubisoft, I don't know how it can be re-released. However, IGN lists it as the 1989 game, which would make it the NES release of the original platformer. The NES version of the Arcade game wasn't released until 1990.

17. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

I think that Castlevania is also coming to the VC. 2 new titles are always nice. :) 

18. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I remember and DREAD that game. Felt more like a Metroid game than anything else... but I'll probably get it because I'm a TMNT whore.

I could get to the technodrome pretty consistantly but only got to the Shredder twice... and was promptly thrashed.

19. Deathx360

News Credits:
    I would guess that Konami made a deal with Ubisoft. I just hope that the 2nd game is released. My SNES works perfectly and my brother's NES is OK so I'm fine without the 1st, 3rd, 4th, and fighter. I regret not getting the 2nd game when I had the chance.

20. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

No saving unfortunatly, the closest thing you got to that sort of luxury with tapes was scrawling down passcodes and typing them in next time you loaded the game.