nerd rage, and buying an xbox

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by UltraMagnus3786, Nov 25, 2009.

1. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

Last night, a part of me died. It was almost as bad as the day I heard Sega was bowing out of the console business. Last night, I bought an Xbox.

Being a Sega guy, the jump to Gamecube wasn't all that bad. Sonic games were being released on the system and there were some great underrated games (Gun, Second Sight, Freedom Fighters). I was never big on Zelda, or Mario Sunshine, but they existed and could be used as a backup. I loved the Xmen Legends games as well as the Spiderman games. And the holy grail of gamecube: smash bros melee-- many friends were made, but some were lost over the trash talking. Then one day my cube was stolen from my suite.

Flash forward a year to senior year, Guitar Hero 2, my roommate buying a 360, and me getting a used wii (without wii sports). My suite would play halo 3 on the 360 all the time, and it was great, but i still loved my smash bros brawl even if the number of people playing it diminished to only 2. Flash forward a year, I'm out of college, and defending the wii. Sure it's not the graphic powerhouse of the 360 or the ps3, but it's got some good games right? Like... smash brothers! And... super mario galaxy! Yeah go nintendo. Way to rehash old games and a mascot from the 80s. If it ain't broke don't fix it right? Some developers were actually using the technology to create hardcore games like madworld, no more heroes, and the first person shooters. I bought them all, trying to support the hardcore market and hardcore games with actually innovative controls.

Flash forward another year until now. Since then the conduit came and went (and was a great disappointment). Revenge of the fallen came out on all systems-- and was only worth playing on xbox/ps3. super mario bros came out... and didn't support online multiplayer, nor did it break the 9 mark on ign.com.

I am tired of defending nintendo. I am tired of games that consistently score in the 7-8 range at best. i'm tired of attempts to port over games with little success (i'm looking at you CoD Resux). I'm tired of Nintendo rehashing old formulae, instead of giving 3rd parties the support they need. madworld, okami, and no more heroes and others are great games that utilize the wii remote fully-- but consistently fall short in either ratings, sales, or reviews. the xbox seems to have hit after hit: prince of persia, gta IV, batman, halo, call of duty... it makes me sick to list them all out.

Last night, out of a rage that brought clarity in mind, I bought an xbox. No, I'm not turning my back on the wii... i'll save my money for red steel 2, the grinder, and whatever few-and-far-between goodies appear on the wii. but as i wait for wii 2 with HD graphics, tight motion controls, new ip and strong ports, i think i'll be playing xbox.

And the sad thing is... Nintendo doesn't even care since their grip is so tight on the casual market. The appeal to the casual market is even starting to effect how they develop their new zelda game. The following was taken from Ign.com in an interview with a producer: "Aonuma said, 'We're taking advantage of MotionPlus. It's become very natural – the movement of your arms is precisely reflected in the gameplay. Thanks to the technological advancements, we hope the gameplay can be more accessible to people.'"

There it is. Nintendo, you may be successful, but you've failed the true gamers' market.

Nerd rage over.

2. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

They're just consoles, dude...

3. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

They don't care.

Hi Reggie, what do you think?

[​IMG]

Oh :( 

4. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    ugh.

"true gamers"

just as stupid as

"true fans"

you put too much faith in reviews. reviews don't mean shit.

How is this nintendo's fault? should they pay for marketing games that arent theirs? Sony and MS dont do that. nintendo cant do anything about sales. as for reviews, what, is nintendo supposed to buy the reviews?

you're blaming nintendo for the failure of games that nintendo didnt make. that's dumb.

buy the games you like. don't worry about the reviews. there's tons of great games on all three platformers. there's no need to "rage" or whine or make big long posts explaining the deep reasons why you bought an xbox.

5. McBradders

Yes they do.

6. UltraMagnus3786

perhaps... but did you live thru the sega vs nintendo wars in the school yard? my bet is no. you don't know the hardships i've faced

:tongue: 

7. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Okay, I wasnt aware.

8. McBradders

Yes, because that all just vanished the day Sega closed up shop, right?

9. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow, just wow.

I got the concept of 'brand loyalty' to a specific console manufacturer out of my head about the time of Megadrive vs SNES... Now the owner of an xbox, I still get the old Dreamcast out from time to time, and I look forward to getting a PS3 for Christmas. :D 

10. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Welcome to the darkside.

Here are the cookies we promised.

[​IMG]

I agree about Nintendo not marketing most of their games enough, though they seem to be getting on that. Before there weren't even commericals for their big games, like Mario Galaxy or Twilight Princess. Now, though, I am seeing more commercials for thier games currently.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that they'll put any game on the Wii, no matter how shitty it is. As long as it's family friendly. :( 

11. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I want a new Sega console.

12. McBradders

It's nice to want things.

13. -Superion-

-Superion- Well-Known Member

It'll happen when there's world peace.

14. UltraMagnus3786

actually, there is a difference between "true gamers" and "casual gamers." if you can't see the difference between the mom who picks up wii music and the guy that's been playing super mario since the 80s, i'm sorry and this thread isn't for you. likewise, i like to think there's a difference between "true fans" and "casual fans" of something. yes, i hate using the terminology, but real distinctions exist between the two.

i'm not one to actually put faith in reviews, and i think people that only go by reviews are probably missing out on a lot of good games. that said, the general trend is for a "high rated" wii game to land between 7 and 8, while for the other systems it's 8-10. I'm looking at the larger picture here.

as for marketing, i can only talk about what i know. wii speak is a highly underutilized gadget because 1. it didn't help developers by releasing specs far enough in advance so that 3rd party software could be launched concurrently, and 2. nintendo didn't create a marketing strategy that would make developers want to use it. the casual image hurt its own product.

my general feeling is that nintendo stamps its name on everything that's theirs and leaves developers to their own devices. ms and sony work more with developers and the result shows.

i'm blaming nintendo for catering to a new market while neglecting its traditional fan base. there's nothing dumb about that, leave personal insults out of reasoned discussion.

Yes, I buy the games I want, but if they're all scoring low--and the score is a deterrent for other gamers to buy it--then the score does matter, and the developer may try catering to a more casual crowd. so actually scores do matter.

guilty on raging/whining/whatever, but isn't that what internet forums are for?

15. UltraMagnus3786

::munch munch:: tastes delicious.

a new sega system would be awesome. but a US takeover by a new communist russian regime is more likely.

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    "true" indicates that the gamers you decide fall under that distinction are somehow better than those who don't.

if you play games, you're a gamer. there's no "true" gamer, because there's no such thing as a "false" gamer.

I'm hoping the term you meant to use was "core" gamer.

and I happen to think nintendo catered to the core gamers fairly well. new installments in all their big franchises in the first two years of the system's life. new mario, new(ish) zelda, new metroid, new mario kart. then we got old franchises coming back like punch out. nintendo has been doing fine. the third parties have not. but they're coming along.

But anyways, enjoy the 360. I think that everyone who takes their gaming seriously should have all three platforms, so they dont have to miss out on anything. Now. This is very important: buy Mass Effect. now. go. get out there. do it. buy. game.

as for a new sega system? it'd be awful. no. the sega of today could never carry a system.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

18. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I don't know what you guys are talking about, the Wii has an amazing selection of games. Like so:

[​IMG]

19. Noizemaze

Noizemaze Ken

News Credits:
    My general impression from this rant was that you are upset with the lack of more mature or mainstream games on the Wii. That's fine, but if you remove "casual" games from your radar then you really aren't seeing the rest of the gems in the Wii Library. Just because they don't sell as well or score as well as these overhyped titles on xBox and PS3, doesn't mean they are any less enjoyable. For example:

Endless Ocean
    De Blob
    Boom Blox
    Zach and Wiki
    Excitebots
    Dokapon Kingdom
    My Life as a King

I honestly had just as much fun with these titles as any $60 big name title on 360, so I feel sorry for anyone who shrugs off these "casual" titles.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Just because Ubisoft decides to pollute the system doesnt mean that the shit they vomit out onto it is all that's available.