Neopets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TrueNomadSkies, Jun 17, 2011.

1. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

You can run, you can hide, but you can't escape the Snowager.

... Discuss this awesome & everlasting chapter of our childhood. Don't lie, you know it was once your 2nd life too. :ev: 

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Okay I'll bite.

I loved Neopets as a kid (spent hours on Deckball, for some reason), it was probably the first thing that made me want to use the Internet. Okay, well, that's a lie, but it was still a good excuse to actually turn on my computer. I still find their characters very, very, very cute, especially the little pterodactyl/pterosaur (some palaeontologist can correct me, I don't care), maybe even the dolphin one (flotsam? Jetsam? Meh).

Still actually have a heap of the little plushies they gave away at McDonalds, they haven't been played with in so long. Ah well, its been a hell of a long time since I've thought of Neopets, no point going back now.

3. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well, I think we've gotta go back every once in a while or they'll delete our accounts (which is why I'm going back there now, but the site has changed so much over the years & that it's really not fun anymore. I guess they needed to grow & go corporate (especially with things to detour pedophiles), but it's just not the same anymore. They're still adorable as ever, but yeah.

Also for what it's worth, I used to play Korbats Lab all the time, and I can honestly say that it was the 1st thing that made me care about going on the internet as well. Like, I remember going to Mexico for a week as a kid, and being devastated because I had to miss more than a day of being online. Things got even worse when I lost my spot on some crappy Guild council because of it, and I honestly didn't know what to do with myself for the longest time after I lost interest in it.

... now I want a Starry Uni plushie, haha.

4. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    i played a week, then got in trouble for making an account

that was my neopets experience

5. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Haha, you should expand on that for us.

Also, I just went back to chech my account & saw this. I think it's safe to say that I've never been happier to be 10 years old in my life than I am today.

[​IMG]

6. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I literally have no idea what you are talking about.

7. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    What is a Neopet? I expected some japanese toy animals in this thread, but your opening post kinda makes me feel as if I missed something and I don't even know when?

8. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Man I haven't been in forever....

9. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    I joined and made a million $ to send to my cousin, and then dropped it.

10. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

All I remember is that Neopets was played by all of the kids in school who thought Pokemon was lame.

11. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I used to have an account, but I forgot the username and password YEARS ago, and with them any interest. I do remember going to look at some of the old puzzles (something about some "Neopet V2.0" and another having something to do with psuedo-Egypt) and thinking they were really hard because you needed a special program such as paint to get further in the puzzles.

Years later I learned MS Paint actually was a stock windows program:lol 

12. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Well that's the thing. It may have been seen by many as the internet's version of Pokemon, but I think it was actually a lot more.

I brought up Neopets because it was easily first reason I that had to use the internet on an addictive basis (also my 1st introduction to programs like Paint), and because if you think about it, Neopets was probably the 1st large scale networking site that we had. It might have been (and still is) aimed at kids, but that doesn't change how ubiquitous it became over the years, or how it paved the road for sites like Gaia and a great deal of plum that Facebook has been expanding to. Heck, the fact that it went from a cool project coined by a couple of kids in light of cute things into one of the most famous Nickelodeon engines since Rugrats is something in itself, and I'd even go as far as to argue that anyone growing up in my generation (give or take a few years) who didn't immerse themselves in the world of Neopia missed out pretty bad.

In other words, don't let haters or the light delivery in my OP fool you. Neopets in it's prime was legendary, and anyone who missed out did simply that.

13. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I couldn't get into Neopets. All the critters I found interesting (read: that shark and Mutants) were hard to get, or were NPCs (like that "scary" pterosaur in the cave, the Braintree, or the Snowager).
    I think I ended up with loads of different accounts, though. I would play for a little while, lose interest, go back several months later, make a new account since I completely forgot the name/password to the old account, lose interest again, go back several moths later, etc. Didn't get anywhere...

I did play a lot of that little bird/dinosaur game.

14. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
    Pteri Attack?

15. thecollector

thecollector Fluffernutter Admirer

I remember this! Man I used to love this, but its been years(Probably when I was 7 I played) since I have even been on the website.

16. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Yeah, that's the one! Thanks.

17. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
  18. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Runescape was my internet game of choice when I was a kid. I may still have that black lizard Neopet from McDonald's somewhere, though.

19. TrueNomadSkies

News Credits:
  20. and2ng

and2ng Examples, Stupid!

News Credits: