Neon Genesis Evangelion

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Ghost Prime, May 11, 2009.

1. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

ok so i just watched the last episode of Neon Genesis Evangelion........serious WTF!? what the HELL were the last 2 episodes going on about?

i really liked this series but feel cheated by the so called ending! it wasnt even a bloody ending! episode 24 has Shinji killing the last Angel but it NEVER explains anything about Adam/Angels/Evangelions ect ect and then the last 2 episodes make no f**king sense at all!

seriously can someone explain to me WTF the last 2 episodes are ment to be about and what the hell is going on. This was done in 1999 so i dont think a series 2 was ever made which just leaves everything hanging there!

2. jon

jon That dude from the forest

News Credits:
    it was just a trippy Japanese anime ending. I liked it for its physiological aspects. but yeah i know what you mean. i think the last two episodes were all about everyone realizing that this was all about shinji learning about himself as a person/human/boy/man and the idea of giant awesome quasi mechs was just a vehicle to get the story of shinji told. but have you seen the end of eva? its a retelling of i think the last 4 episodes in a movie. but even then that ending is weird. but right now they are making a 'rebuild of eva' that is gonna be four movies. the first three will be the series and the fourth will be a retelling of the ending again. but we all know the fan boys will never be satisfied with an ending for ending. but its a 'make your own decision anime' and i can sadly see this thread getting locked for ridiculous flaming on the topic but have you tried wikipedia they have some good info, i think?

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    the last 2 episodes are incredible. much better than the re-telling in the movie. I know people hate them simply as they were unexpected and meant it was time for one to think :) 

The whole series wasn't about the struggle between life and the angels it was about the struggle Shinji goes through and overcomes. Doesn't each episode like have a metapohrical meaning....NGE is deep :D 

4. Ghost Prime

Ghost Prime Banned

well i only just found the movies online

death of the evangleion
    dead and rebirth

4. Do Not Sell, Share, Link To, Offer Or Ask For Copyrighted Materials
    This includes movies, music, games, roms, comics, programs, etc.
    2005 Staff

5. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I didn't think much of the series ending to be honest. But then I watched End of Evangelion and everything was better :) 

6. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The last two episodes of Evangelion are two of my favorite anime episodes ever. They make almost no sense at all and the show was so out of money by that point that a lot of it was just crayon scribbles. So awesome. :lol 

7. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Just read the Wikipedia.

8. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Do you ever enjoy anything, ever?

9. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Problem with the end of Eva is like most anime shows, since they were pretty much bullshitting there way through and making everything up as they went along they wrote themselves into a huge corner and didnt know how do tie everything together.

10. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

NGE may have done it first but RahXephon did it so much better no contest

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think the main thing to consider about the last two episodes is that they deal with how a person sees themselves and the world around them. The director was quoted as saying that a "perfect" person would view the ending and feel nothing at all, but a real person, with flaws and fears, would project those upon the ending and use it as sort of a reflection of themselves. Given that the director wrote the show during a period of deep depression, that factors heavily into how the show is, including its ending, but as has been stated in the thread, its a situation of "There is no wrong answer, they leave it open for you to interpret it the way you feel is correct".

12. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Ah yes i remember finishing my dvd set and the first words my dad heard me say was" what did I just watch?"

I ll be honest its exploration ending not to mention once linked to death and rebirth it makes sense.

Ah rebuild of eva less confusion. and twice the awesome animation

btw was there ever true to those "the eva movies are 'Fuck yous' from the author?"

13. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I absolutely hated the last two episodes and hated that I was left to scratch my head and try to decipher them. Then I saw The End of Evangelion. Now I loooove the way the show ended. Way better than EoE. I hated it even worse.

14. Gretnablue

Gretnablue Well-Known Member

For a year I've been looking for a copy of the Evangelion series, however the prices are absolutely ridiculous like one asking for over £1000 three months age (can't find it to send a link).

However yesterday I bought a version of the platinum thin pack (NTSC) for £80. Now one things that seems strange is that the set comes with 6 volumes while I know there is 7 platinum volumes. Can someone explain this?

Also what is the best version of End of Evangelion in the UK that doesn't have the gamma raised in the first two minutes?

15. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    The set with six volume is missing extras that are in the seven volume version, such as commentaries.

16. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    There were other factors such as Anno going off his medication in a big way, his great loathing for the vast majority of his fanbase AND all the embezzling that was going on by the senior executives.

It is wacky as shit; but I don't think it was being told week to week, and if it was, it certainly wasn't by choice.

As much as I love the show, I believe they were my first words at the end as well.

Yes; Anno loathed most of the fanbase (I'll give you three guesses why, first two don't count) and he was hoping that the message he delivered with some tact at the end of Ep26 would be heeded. It was not, death threats abounded, so he made End of Evangelion as his very special 'Fuck you, fans!'. Didn't work either, but it got the monkeys off his back.

17. megatronski

megatronski PURGE THE HERETIC

News Credits:
    Warning: Mile long rant incoming

So over the past half a year or so I've become somewhat of a major Eva fan (collecting figures, the manga, pretty much anything I can get my hands on) and I've barely had the chance to discuss it with anyone, so here are my views on the TV/EoE endings and Rebuild.
    I guess I never really felt the WTF feeling when I first watched the last 2 episodes, mainly because I watched the available Rebuild films first and read the entire plot of the anime on wikis and such before actually getting around to watching it. I personally enjoy the TV ending as the way to tie up the psychological issues with our characters in a deeper way than EoE, the final "congratulations" scene, while it seems very out of place, I think it's a fitting ending to the entire "Shinji overcoming the world around him" point of the show, and it just leaves me feeling happier than EoE.
    On the other hand, End of Evangelion feels more like a true ending, as it doesn't take the audience away from the real world like the TV ending. If I had a chance to watch Eva again with no prior knowledge, I'd watch up to episode 24 and then watch EoE, so things flow a bit smoother, my big problem with EoE is just the sense of despair, I honestly cannot remember a happy moment in that film, things just go from bad to worse to turning to LCL to choking Asuka on a beach. EoE just leaves me with an empty, hopeless feeling, which I guess was Anno's big fuck the fans goal, but I really don't care about the creator and his intentions or any of that crap, I just care about the results, which satisfy me in their own separate ways. Back to the point, after watching EoE, I suggest watching the last 2 TV episodes, as they dive deeper into the psychs of the characters and leave you with a bit of a happier tone in the end.

Honestly, when I try and get someone into Eva, I usually try and get them to watch 1.11 first, see if it interests them any, and if they care more about the flashy action bits and robot fighting, I'll suggest they keep watching the rebuild films, but if they care more about the characters, I'd tell them to watch the anime. I'm not insulting rebuild by saying this, I'm eagerly awaiting a chance to see 3.33 in theaters, it's just not as dense as the anime and is better for someone trying not to get mindfucked (unless 4.44 goes totally berserk and pulls a total EoE)

18. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Hell yes. Such an amazing show. A shame not more people have seen it.

Goodbye

19. hellrasinbrasin

hellrasinbrasin Well-Known Member

...I like the "Original Series" a lot I also like how much the Rebuild tetralogy only makes everything in Neon Genesis Evangelion that much worse for the characters. Because whatever they didn't show in the original series they're showing in Rebuild.

20. Fallout

Fallout Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    evangelion is such a clusterfuck but i love it. it has government corruption, genetic stuff, metaphysical, aliens, science, and religion all in one.

i need to watch the Rebuild movies.