Neo/Geo & MSX possibly coming to Wii Virtual Console

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Joe Moore, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

But it's all old stuff. Admittedly pretty neat old stuff... but at least XBLA gets original content too. No matter how few and far between -_-;;

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Yeah, it would be nice to see some original stuff on the VC...wasn't there rumors of such things?

4. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Quality content is quality content whether it's new or old. I'd take a half dozen old Neo Geo games over another series of mediocre to terrible games game like Side Arms, Uno, Roboblitz or Cloning Clyde. People are begging for classic games, and it looks like Nintendo is the one that's going to make the money providing them, even if I think most are over-priced.

5. Joe Moore

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Not a rumor, Nintendo has said that original content will come to the VC.

6. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah. The more stuff they release, the more it all starts to feel the same. I think today the industry has the ability to think outside the box more and create some really unique games that don't necessarily have to push the limits graphically. Phoenix Wright is one example. That really could have been done on the NES had they thought of it.

There are only so many platform and beat 'em up games I want to play.

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I took it from reading the second link (the first one wouldn't load for me) that this so far is only for Japan? Or is the US expected to get this as well?

The Japanese get much cooler Nintendo loving than we do in the US. :( 

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is good news. It would excite me even more if I could actually find a Wii to purchase. 4 months later and they still cannot (or is it will not, hmmm?) produce enough to actually keep them on the shelves.

9. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Sunday mornings, 8 - 9am at Target is your best bet.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

There are no VC-original games yet because the smaller developers that would be interested in that mode of distribution don't have devkits yet.

11. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I have a feeling that there will be far more internet game sites like wiicade.com then there will be original VC titles when it is all said and done. They can pretty much bypass the need for devkits, or have nintendo involved at all. Plus production costs will be minimal.

12. flamepanther

But so far, web games can only use the remote in a 2-D capacity... and what you can realistically do with Flash and Java games is pretty limited. Wii devkits are cheap as far as that sort of thing goes too. Small developers should be able to afford them, once the larger developers don't have them all backordered from Nintendo anymore. The incentive is definitely there.

13. undertaker

undertaker Deadman's Disciple

I doubt we'll see MSX downloads since the MSX system, I thought, was a Japan-only console. I'd guess that we'll get Neo Geo games to download, probably a good number of the Fatal Fury, King of Fighters, and Samurai Shodown games and maybe some of the Neo's shooters like Pulstar, Viewpoint, Prehistoric Isle 2, and Strikers 1945 (Plus?). I can only wonder what they'd charge for those games.

14. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I guess I don't have big expectations for original VC titles. I kinda figured any company that chooses to make small, downloadable games through VC probably won't be delving into the 3d motion capabilities of the Wii too much. I imagine games more like Mii Pose (which I think could be done with flash or java), puzzle games, and 2d motion controlled platformers.

15. flamepanther

Far less than the cartridges cost, I'm sure.
    Considering that N64 games are suitable for the VC, and they're more advanced than that, I think you're selling it a bit short.

16. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Oh I don't know, I think they can do some cool things these days with flash and java that don't use a lot of storage capacity. I thought somewhere I saw a java game that was on par graphics and gameplay (although a bit shallow) wise to Super Mario Kart.

I don't think I'm totally selling the VC short, I just wonder if developers will venture into the real deep controls that the Wii has the potential of, for the VC. Heck, I've seen some Wii titles that are pretty lazy when it comes to the controls, and I think that these small companies could make a lot of money spitting out 2d motion games, and their costs and development time would be minimal.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

sweet...now the only thing that'll make it even sweeter is GB/GBC/GBA and Neo Geo Pocket/Color downloads to the Wii (and DS)

18. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:

While we're at it throw in Master System, GameGear, Sega CD, and maybe Jaguar, Atari, and 3DO just for fun. Better yet anything not owned by Sony or Microsoft. Sure there are a lot of bad, and very horrible for that matter, systems out there but having the option to download the few good games they had would be great.

19. flamepanther

You forgot Saturn!

20. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

Neo Geo?! I really need a Wii....