Nelson says: Leaked script is real, but won't be used

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Nevermore, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brodimus Prime

Brodimus Prime Matrix Templar

News Credits:
    I think the reason they're missing is because of marketing. As I mentioned in another thread, whether Bay or anyone else wnats to deny it makes not difference, this IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE a toy movie. Without the toys, there is no franchise, and Hasbro will not release the same guys with the alt modes twice in a three year span. So I'd say that TF 2 will basically do what TFTM did and introduce new characters, while keeping a few old ones (BB, SS, Prime, and Megs). But I'd bet anything that all the characters returning from TF 1 get new alt modes so that Hasbro can market the new toys, rather than use older designs.

I don't like Magnus and Hot Rod in there this soon because I think there are older G1 bots that can serve that same function. Prowl was marketed as a second in command in the comics, and a guy like Sideswipe shares many of the same characteristics of Hot Rod. I think for me it's more a bias than anything. I see the film almost like the old series, introducing them in an order similar to the seasons. But I agree that if they serve the role, let them in this film. I just think that Magnus' role in this film doesn't fit with him as well as it would with Prowl. And I can't see Hot Rod as a spy. It seems like an excuse to get the Chosen One in the film series as soon as possible. So my votes would be Prowl and Sideswipe in those roles.

2. General Tekno

General Tekno Lugnut Supremor & Arkivist

News Credits:
    Don Murphy just posted this to his board (Note: It's a MUCH calmer post - he's calmed down since the other day):

http://www.donmurphy.net/board/showthread.php?p=1055178&posted=1#post1055178

3. fastballspecial

fastballspecial Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
  4. Supremus

Supremus Well-Known Member

5. optimus124

optimus124 PSN ID - OPTIMUS124

Ebay:
    I'll be honest, why is it that from a board post stance, I like bay better than murphy.

Back to the the topic:

I would rather see Sideswipe as a spy than Hot Rod. Then prime can use his rocket pack.

6. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    The amount of ass-kissing on that Don Murphy site is frightening, makes it tough to read.

7. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    what would be really cool is, if nelson says, leaked script is realbut wont be used, HA-HA *points*

8. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Currently no longer giving a shit about the MCU. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
  9. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Meh, I mostly wait confirmation from Nelson anyway.

10. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    I thought the TF2 treatment was pretty decent and that it definitely had some stand-out moments (arrival of the Nemesis, the real reason why Vegas exists, Starscream vs. Megatron), but have to agree that it very much was a giant fan handjob. It had WAY too many robots - dozens protoforms, Magnus and his troup, Soundwave and his troup, Starscream and his brigade, the regular Autobots, a cameo from the "real" Devastator even though his name has already been pissed away forever thanks to the DVD not changing it, all the military vehicles all transforming, etc. - and next to zero character development (again). I also thought the inclusion of Hot Rod & Magnus in the second film was *really* rushing things. I don't expect to see all of the G1 Season 1 Autobots show up, but I absolutely hope to see a few more of the key characters ala Wheeljack & Hound (just for example) get introduced before anyone else. And I really didn't like how Megatron evidentially stayed a Cybertronian jet again. That *has to* change for TF2 as far as I'm personally concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised that one of the main reasons why they're not using this treatment - other than sheer robot overkill - is because it uses Vegas as the main backdrop. Even with double the budget of the first movie, that would be insanely expensive to shut down several streets on the strip AND blow the shit out of them for several weeks. I could see *something* happening in Vegas since it makes sense what with the Hoover Dam connection, but I can't see it being the primary location for the whole film.

I really have no idea what to expect, but whatever it is, I'm hoping it will be less fan wank than this current sequel treatment. More robots, yes, but not hundreds of them so that it's more distracting than entertaining.

11. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    there was some AMAZING stuff in that treatment, but there was also some TERRIBLY HORRIBLE ******ED stuff. the whole final battle seemed a little too muhch. but the Devstator vs Magnus gave me chills.

12. PeterNorth

PeterNorth Well-Known Member

why do some people want the dinobots so bad? they have no meaning in a modern movie story line and no one outside of tf fans whould have any reason to want them anyway. the film makers are trying to appeal to a mass audience and robot dinosaurs walking around during modern times whould make no sence.

13. JKahn913

JKahn913 Bunch of Mooncalves

The Devastator-Magnus fight seems copied from the unused '86 storyboards.

14. airfox

airfox TF: Cybertronian Wars!

News Credits:
    OK, I'll give you Wheeljack, but how come Hound is more of a "key character" than Hot Rod and Magnus? Sometimes it seems like people forget G1 lasted beyond 1984. :wink: 

-airfox

15. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea - as fast as TPTB are trying to shove a TF2 into development, I would be surprised if this wasn't an intentional leak to gauge our reactions to various potential plotpoints.

Afterall, Bay dropped the comment about the carrier-TF he wanted (gen con: cool), fans said "more dialogue!" which we did get, compared to the "leaked" script/draft for TF1; they bothered to have USAToday run the article about who the "fans" wanted to see in the sequel - which UM DID come in like #4/10 - which ain't bad for a repaint ;) 

And while dinobots would be cool, you gotta have a good reason for their alt-forms to be so obvious. Now, a flash-back to earlier time on Earth, & a prior check of Earth, perhaps that would be a nice nod - but that's another topic.

While ultimately, I don't think "we" have a whole lot to do w/ the end-product (flames, Welker, etc), they did show they listened. Was it only to a "focus" group of Transfans, as well as Joe.Public? perhaps - but things did change between the "leaked" script/draft and the final product, and some seemed to directly correlate to comments flown about the fandom (Megatron's head changing).

And let's not forget that outcry/requests have lead to the "not planned" release of the musical score, in addition to the official ST.

While "fandom" may have limited clout(sp), I get the feeling that TPTB were quite surprised by just how well TF DID at it's outset - larger female demographics, wider age-range, number of repeat viewings, reformatting to IMAX w/ ppl seeing it for the extra $. Paramount has a potential ca$h cow here, same as the "new" Star Trek - TF has been proven, ST is still shaping up. Having it fall on its ass in a 2nd foray, does not behoove them, even allowing for Bay & (maybe) Spielberg's egos.

/off soapbox :popcorn 

16. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    so where was this treatment at so that we can read it?

17. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    BTW, for anyone who says the script for the first movie sucks, be glad that Tom DeSanto's original treatment (which Murphy alludes to) remained entirely unused. BOY, did THAT thing suck.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Yup, he somehow wrote Transformers: Armada The Movie.

19. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Only without Mini-Cons.

20. Master Fwiffo

Master Fwiffo Bonecrusher Hates You

News Credits:
    Or the good robot characters. Or any good story arcs. Or anything remotely cool whatsoever.

Ouch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.