Needs some opinions on the $100 Devvy...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Ruination04, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Ruination04

Ruination04 8 Years Old Since 1984!

News Credits:
    Thought about getting my boy the 100 Devvy for Christmas since he loves Transformers and he loves construction vehicles. Since they turn to robots I shouldn't have to worry about small pieces, but I know there is some conversion to Devvy form...My son is almost 3 and the box says 5+. Is this something he could actually have fun with or is it a waste of money even for a young kid? Would it be safe for him?

2. Plastic Man

Plastic Man The Man in Black

I'd follow the suggested age limits and save yourself the headache of when he pokes his eye on something.:2c: 

3. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

I wouldn't be worried about the age suggestion on the box. However, the toy sucks. Get him a few FAB's instead.

4. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

the toy isn't terribly good, but if your son is three i don't think he'll be looking at it in the same wasy as an adult collector!

imo it comes down to how much cash you can comfortably spend on him... if $100 is a hefty wedge of cash for you, grab him some FABs as suggested above because he just isn't worth a hundred bucks. If you're a right old moneybags get him the crappy combiner because HUGE toys are awesome when you're little and it is made of construction vehicles afterall.

bare in mind it's probably a bit complicated too, and he will trash it.

5. Keller500

Keller500 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's super unacurate. I recomend some RPMS or Gravity Bots or FABS

6. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

I wouldn't buy a figure that's for ages 5+ for a kid that's only 3 years old, especially one that costs roughly $100. I'd at least wait a couple of years to get him the Devastator set... hopefully by then the price for it will have been greatly reduced.

7. Thelbert

Thelbert Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm... I think 3 might be a bit young for Devvy. I'm like the others, try a Gravity Bot or some Fast Action Battlers. If you could find them, I think there were some huge, jumbo Go-Bot kiddie transformers Hasbro put out a few years back.

8. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Toy Designer

You mean the Playschool gobots? I'd recommend some of them, except the sports car one. I managed to hurt myself transforming that thing, so i don't think it's safe for a 3 year old.

9. Thelbert

Thelbert Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeaaahhh that's them!

10. T-money

T-money Cake is good

News Credits:
    If you pick up Devs, be sure to get him from BJ's. He goes for only $69.99 there.

11. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    Get the Devy RPM set instead. I bought my kids Tf's when they were younger, Now all they have for those tf's are incomplete toys. Give it a couple more years.

12. Grimlockprime16

Grimlockprime16 Me Grimlock King!

the big devvy is crap i had mein for 2 days than sold it it sux. if you want to get your boy a devvy he can have fun with and enjoy i remember seeing i belive it was a cyber stomping rotf dveey at tru for around 30

13. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Optimus, serving up the primest of ribs since 1984

News Credits:
    its over priced ill likely eventually buy it when it goes on clearance or i have nothing else i need tf wise and i need a Plastic crack fix but id gow with thr FABs or gravity bots

14. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Like the others have said, you can get your son an army of FABs with the money intended for the Devastator set. Do it.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like him alot more than I thought I would. The only thing I don't like is the shoulders, he'd already look more accurate if he had the 'right' ones..

for kids, I'd say he's super-awesome, since kids are much less picky about screen accuracy and all that jazz. :) 

Not too sure about the age..from what I've seen, 3 year old kids are pretty smart, and I don't think he could really hurt himself..but the age restriction is there for a reason..:) 

16. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    get him some FABs this year, and next year snag a devs on clearance

17. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    The RPM set would be cool for a little kid. :) 

18. doctajones428

doctajones428 Well-Known Member

Go for it, from what I can tell each part is fairly stable with no loose parts (I could be wrong) If not, pick him up an army of gravity bots. Some parents are different with what they allow their kids to have. My 4 year old nephew has movie deluxes and leaders out the ying yang. They never get transformed and you sure as hell know that there are many missing pieces

19. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

For a three year old? Nah. That's what FABs, Gravity Bots and RPMs are for.

20. Deathnoble

Deathnoble Aristocratic Assassin

Three years old might be a bit young for the Devastator. While I'm sure that Devs passed multiple US safety laws (Including the drop test) I'd still be a bit concerned about his size compared to a kid that young. Although a lot of people can knock it and make fun of it, and it possibly may even be horribly innaccurate.... Those age limit suggestions they put on toys exist for a reason, and they are carefully tested before being decided on.

Not only that, but I don't really see Dev's appeal besides being Devastator & being huge. Doesn't really strike me as that much fun otherwise. /personalopinion

Oh, and yeah: If you have BJ's anywhere around you, ya can save $30 by getting Dev's from them.