Needlessly Restricted Joints

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Thelonicon, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Thelonicon

Thelonicon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I will fully admit this is a bit of a gripe thread, but I just received Gaia Unicron yesterday. I think he looks fantastic in robot mode, but both his elbows and knees have joints that are needlessly restricted by pieces of plastic that appear to serve no purpose other than to restrict the joints.

Then I started thinking about some of the other figures I have purchased recently, like TF: Prime Cyberverse Ultra Magnus. His waist piece is a huge piece of plastic that can be safely sanded down to allow his legs to be perpendicular to his body and a tiny bit of plastic can be shaved from the back of his knee to give him a 90 degree range of movement on his knee joint.

These are just two examples off the top of my head. I'm now wondering what other figures have fallen victim to overly restricted joints and why do the designers keep putting them in?

(I am aware that sometimes restrictive joints are related to issues of stability, transformation, and/or aesthetics. I'm just wondering about all those that do not fit into those categories.)

2. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

Legion Cliffjumper. The guy has balljointed elbows, hips, shoulders, ankles, and hinge knees... but his hips can't move forward at all because of clearance issues. They pop off if you try to move forward at ALL.

3. LegoTFGuy

LegoTFGuy Master Builder

Same with Legends RTS Optimus and PCC Steamhammer.

Animated Deluxe Bee's stingers and Lockdown's wrists also come to mind.