Customs: Needing some advice/help

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by rob_charb, Oct 8, 2007.

1. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

I've been pondering making a scratchbuilt transformer for a while now and want to make one based on the SR-71 Blackbird. However, I'm having a really hard time trying to figure out how to make everything transform. I was thinking of making something along the lines of the Armada Terradive mini-con (only not as craptastic) in terms of transformation and was kind of hoping some you more seasoned kitbashers/scratchbuilders could offer some advice or tips or hell anything to help me out. Please please please please!!!

Anyway, what I'm thinking of doing is having the turbines/engines change into the arms, the fuselage splitting into the legs and the wing cross-section behind the fuselage become the torso with the head rotating out. Will it be easier to do this completely from scratch? Or get an existing Blackbird model and go from there? Is this even possible to do?

I realize that due to the transformation, the final result for the alt mode may not be exactly like the SR-71 and that's fine because I want to load it out with some weaponry also. But I do want it to be inspired by the Blackbird.

So yeah, how would I go about doing this?

Oh, sorry for the lack of any diagrams and what not but all I can use at the moment is Paint...and it's in Chinese...

2. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I imagined doing a digibash of one of these but never did due to lack of pictures that I'd need, and I had the front end splitting into the arms and the engines as the legs.

3. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I would go pick up some cheap snaptite kits, at least two since in the process you'll probably destroy some of the tolerances of where it fits together.

Mess around with those and see what possibilites there are. Once you have a basic design down, then you could move up to a bigger model and make your final one.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    do a reshell project with that old gi joe vehicle playset that looks like a blackbird.

5. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I may have set my sights a little too high for a first attempt at a scratchbuild/kitbash/reshell, so I'm gonna put this on hold till I've cut my teeth on something a little simpler.