Minor/Repaint: Need your advice

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Razor1979, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Razor1979

Razor1979 Banned

Ebay:
    This is my first custom and I would like everyone to give their honest opinion either good or bad I need to know where I need to improve on my next one. ok so I took advice from you guys and I did a lil touch up on my jetfire so the first pic is the before the next 3 are the after thanks for the insight you guys share

Attached Files:

2. Tm Tarantulas

Tm Tarantulas Herald of Unicron

News Credits:
    thats pretty fucking good

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think you've done an excellent job starting out. I'd like to see you go through our tutorials on shooting photographs and then move to a system of making galleries for your work. If you haven't placed a clear coat of some kind (I prefer Future, but there are some others), I'd recommend that. I think I would have recommended that you not go so heavy on the silver, as Jetfire has a bit of black in his robot mode. You've done a great job with the small details. I'd advice just to be careful of tunnel vision and be sure to consider the whole custom as a sum of all parts as well as each part.

Those are just a few things I'd pass on to you. As I said, I think you're off to a great start! Keep up the great work, and thanks for sharing!

BTW: Welcome to Radicons :) 

4. bakublade

bakublade Well-Known Member

i like it

5. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Other than the fact that it doesn't really look a lot like Jetfire anymore (imo, he's not black enough), that's a darn good first custom. The details are awesome. Keep it up.

Can i suggest, though, that you use more colours next time? Right now, all i see are copper-ish pipes, rivets, etc. A bit of detailing in other colours would've been appreciated. Some tin, gold, even black detailing would have made it less, well, uniform.

6. mampy

mampy Movie-Accurate Mampy

News Credits:
    Welcome to Radicons! This is such an awesome job for someone's first custom. It shows that you have a very good grasp of the basics like drybrushing and painting in small details cleanly. :thumb 

I also agree with what the others have said about the color scheme. The movie 'bots (especially Jetfire) are not really so uniform in terms of the color on their robot mode. I like the attention to detail you've shown in adding copper highlights. Now, try to do some detailing by controlling your drybrushing as well. Leave some parts black, some parts dark gray, some brighter gray/silver, and then leave small highlights in the brightest chrome-y silver you can find. Painting/drybrushing adjacent panels in different shades of gray/silver/black will definitely help you to get the look of the movie CG model.

Good luck and I hope to see more of your work. :)